Engine dies in a turn 2004 225,000

cdman1674

My wife drives this van and over a period of years, every once in a while when crossing the same railroad track and then turning the van has just died. All she does is restart it and all is fine. Today i was in the van and i turned into my shop and it died. Not sure if its the same problem but..... Also i had just filled up with 10 gal of diesel at a new gas station. Not to be confusing but the alternator went out last week. I had to drive the van back 30 miles with a dead battery, three times i had to pull over and charge it with jumpers. ( i read afterwards that Dr. A says this is bad :yell:) The van ran 4 routes over a week no troubles...about 120 miles. Getting back to the story after it died in the driveway on me, when i restarted- it was idling poorly. Now it starts but dies when you put it in gear unless you rev it up a little. I was able to connect my Carsoft and pull codes and it ran the entire time. When i tried to put it in gear it died. I changed the fuel filter and looked at the fuel and it looked fine. i.e. no water? codes- * bear in mind..i ran it with a very low battery and had not cleared the codes. B1040-000, P11ff, P10FF, P2013, P1482, P2133, P2135, P2124, P1926-00. If any of this is familiar with someone please reply :idunno:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
P1482: communication fault between glow plug module and ECM
P2124: injector actuation fault
P2133: short (or open) circuit in glow plug
P2135: short (or open) circuit in another glow plug

P2013: ambient air temperature sensor voltage too high (or too low) (there's a sub-code) ((or TCM (Tranny Control Module) fault))

...i'd look for wiring harness damage... a wire may being cut as the engine shifts due to lateral forces in the turn

--dick

cdman1674

Thank you, I can disregard all glow plug faults, they haven't worked in years and those codes always come up. But P2124: injector actuation fault? Hmmm update after changing the fuel filter it died on me about 5 more times. I put it on the road and got it up to 80 a few times. since then it been ok? I've put about 30 miles on it. Does anyone know anything about the injector actuation fault? Thanks again

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Thank you, I can disregard all glow plug faults, they haven't worked in years and those codes always come up. But P2124: injector actuation fault? Hmmm update after changing the fuel filter it died on me about 5 more times. I put it on the road and got it up to 80 a few times. since then it been ok? I've put about 30 miles on it. Does anyone know anything about the injector actuation fault? Thanks again
As said, there is probably a short in the wiring that is causing the dying, ans possibly that code. Inspect all wiring harnesses and grounds for a wear thru the coating

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
The injector harness lies on top of the engine under the small plastic wire cover. The wires touch bare metal, and with vibration of the engine it is no surprise they eventually wear through. Have a look on the underside on the wires, very closely, with a magnifying glass if needed, and protect them with something high-ish temp.

Also look where it enters the firewall since the glow plug relay shares this same passage I believe, and it too is down. Lastly don't forget behind the fuel filter where the sharp bit cuts into the harness. I bent mine away.

If you were looking at an injector or fuel problem I would expect other related fuel codes to appear, but as it is isolated and injector actuation depends upon the injector solenoid receiving an electrical signal, I would agree wholeheartedly with Nelson.

P1926: Ignore

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12990&highlight=p1926

"The shifter's 1927 fault code is a brake light signal implausibility code set at same time as code 1925 which is a brake torque implausibility code."

"C163E and 1926 are to be ignored." Also B1010

Last edited:

cdman1674

Thanks to all, i will remove the hard plastic cover over the injector harness and inspect tomorrow. It's been put on the back burner since it hasn't acted up in the past couple of days. I looked at the harness that runs behind the fuel filter and followed it to the firewall. It's still in it's flexible loom and has the factory tyewraps on it. Didn't see anything suspicious ?

cdman1674

Up date the 2004 van has 238,000 miles now. I have looked over the wiring under the plastic cover on the intake also the harness near the fuel filter and have check the harness going into the firewall. I have installed an inline fuel filter before the original fuel filter. Since installing i have changed the inline filter about 6 times. The problem has remained the same- the van dies when at an idle every few days. I dropped the fuel tank and removed a LOT of "gunk?" looked like rust maybe. About two days later the van died on me three times on the same day - always at idle or just rolling. As usual it always restarts immediately. I removed the inline fuel filter and it was full of contaminants.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105356&stc=1&d=1545238194
The van ran well for about 2 weeks after replacing the inline fuel filter. It has since died twice and when i removed the fuel filter it was clean this time ?:idunno:
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all!
And yes this picture was taken after dropping and cleaning the tank.

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
With that type of contamination I would be concerned the in tank fuel pump maybe damaged or its pick up screen might be plugged.

cdman1674

I’M not 100% sure - some of it is brown and if you smash it it turns red on a paper towel (rust). but some of it looks like rubber. I dropped the fuel tank and removed a lot of the same stuff- while it was down i replaced the neck and rubber hose that connects it to the tank - also the rubber seal for the pump. I didn’t notice anything odd with the low pressure pump. In addition i drained the tank with the low pressure pump- about 4 gallons— thru the hose attached to my inline filter- that should have cleared the line ? I’m lost ....:yell:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
P2124 is that injectors actuation fault or throttle position sensor on a sprinter?
That is an injector fault. There are three subcodes.

2124 1 Injector actuation fault Short circuit to ground (-) or to voltage ( +)
2124 2 Injector actuation fault Low-side output Short circuit to ground(-).
2124 8 Injector actuation fault General error

Top Bottom