2008 Glow plug lamp will not come on and will not start

DanJohn

The dash light doesn't come on and engine will not start. 2008 V6 turbo. I'm almost stuck in South Dakota, Badlands. Cycling the key did get it started one time. Am hoping it will start when needed but thoughts?

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Start by replacing the Glow Plug module with the updated 'latest & greatest', if not already done. The original modules have been known to fail at around the age of the one in your 2008. Replacement is very easy. Search for the Glow Plug threads.

Just make sure that you get the correct module for the GPs installed in your van, using the VIN. There are steel GPS and ceramic GPs, each requiring a different voltage. IIRC, using a ceramic GP module and steel GPs will result in GP failure.

DanJohn

Bob, thanks. Will do. I'm hoping it will be ok until we get home in a few weeks. I'm certain dealers don't stock something like that and hate to stay in one place too long. Where is it located on my Sprinter?

BTW. First wife and our kids camped one beautiful weekend on commercial logging land just outside Ninamo. Big sign said welcome but be out of here on monday at 6 am. Ninamo had one paved road and was just a fishing village. Heard it's far from that these days. Then again we were there about 45 years ago. :) in a ford econoline, 6 cyl, three speed.

Redpillar

DanJohn, that might be Nanaimo Lakes area your camped at. I just live ten minutes from there. The city has about 80K people now but the lakes are mostly the same just fewer trees.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
The dash light doesn't come on and engine will not start. 2008 V6 turbo. I'm almost stuck in South Dakota, Badlands. Cycling the key did get it started one time. Am hoping it will start when needed but thoughts?
To clarify, when you say 'the dash light doesn't come on' are you referring to only the glow plug light and everything else looks normal? And by 'doesn't start', do you mean cranks but won't start or doesn't crank at all? From your description alone it's not at all clear whether your problem has anything to do with the glow plugs.

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
Nanaimo also has a pretty good MB Sprinter service location these days as well. They have taken good care of my 2008 Navion for me!

The glow plug controller is located front and just off centre on the engine directly behind the fan. Replacement can be obtained at Napa or O'reilleys, as well as MB dealers.

Location as per image below, replacement is very easy, plug and play. Did mine in the parking lot.

Good luck!

Attachments

SWATCO

Dan,

I had the same problem you are experiencing with my 2008. I would check you "y" cable for failure/corrosion. Mine was bad but still did not fix the issue. On a whim, I swapped the ECM relay (located by drivers left foot. Pain to get to.) with a different relay below the seat. Presto! Never had the problem again. I replaced that relay and bought two, so now I have a spare.

BobLLL

I had the same problem, and same fix as Dan (Swatco). Pulled and cleaned the ECU relay pins. There was only a trace of blue-green corrosion, but the problem was fixed. I later replaced all the relays just in case. The glow plug light not coming on at all when the ignition is turned on, followed by no crank, nor even a solenoid click when key is turned to start, seems to be clues for this problem.

DanJohn

Dan,

I had the same problem you are experiencing with my 2008. I would check you "y" cable for failure/corrosion. Mine was bad but still did not fix the issue. On a whim, I swapped the ECM relay (located by drivers left foot. Pain to get to.) with a different relay below the seat. Presto! Never had the problem again. I replaced that relay and bought two, so now I have a spare.
Did you relocate the ECM relay to under the driver's seat? I have to remove the seat to get to it?

thanks, Dan John

BobLLL

Most fuses and relays for standard equipment are in the box under the dash in the footwell on the left-hand side of the vehicle. Fuses and relays for most optional equipment are under the seat. The box under the dash has a curved cover with a little knob you can remove by hand. Then you need a torx screwdriver to remove one screw holding on another cover above the first cover. ECU relay is number 7.
relays locations under dash.jpg

ronniek

Hi guys I have the same problem all the lights come on barring the glow plug indicator lamp turning the key nothing happens not even a click from the starter my sprinter is a 2013 with a v6 turbo diesel engine

Last edited:

ronniek

Hi Dan have you solved this problem yet I have exactly the same problem mine is also a v6 turbo diesel just a 2013 model

smiller

Hi guys I have the same problem all the lights come on barring the glow plug indicator lamp turning the key nothing happens not even a click from the starter my sprinter is a 2013 with a v6 turbo diesel engine
If the engine won't even crank then your problem is not the glow plugs. And the OP has yet to provide the details of his no-start problem either.

Now I return us to the feeding frenzy already in progress...

Last edited:

If the engine won't even crank then your problem is not the glow plugs.

I agree that the glow plugs/module are probably not the root problem, but the GP glow coil icon not displaying could be a specific symptom.

I don't believe that the infamous Wye cable deteriorating has that specific symptom.

Until otherwise confirmed, I would suggest that if a no start with the lack of a lit glow coil symptom presents, the first action would be ECM relay remove/clean/swap with another (same style). If that produces no results then go from there.

Note:
The glow coil not lit may not be a symptom. The light may just have timed out. The corrosion on the relay contacts is a member reported cure for some intermittent starter issues.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

smiller

The glow plug light normally goes out within a few seconds on it's own and is very easy to miss, and it's possible that this normal behavior is what is being reported. Without more information from the OP it's hard to guess.

Last edited:

The glow plug light normally goes out within a few seconds on it's own and is very easy to miss, and it's possible that this normal behavior is what is being reported. Without more information from the OP it's hard to guess.
Good point. I'll leave the suggestion as is for now.

Time will tell... if we get any follow-up.

vic

BobLLL

I can say with confidence that mine was not a case of the glow plug light going on and off quickly. I stared at the dash while turning the key and it did not come on. And it was a chilly morning. And there was no cranking or solenoid click. Removing & cleaning the ecu relay fixed it. Others have swapped or replaced the relay with the same result. What seems to be happening is the whole start sequence is not initiated, maybe because the ecu is not happy with the voltage (if any) being supplied by the relay at the moment the key is turned on. And like other corrosion or funky connection problems, the problem can be very intermittent and will drive you crazy.

If you park outside like I do, and don't drive a lot during cold weather, it may be that condensation in the fuse/relay box is the cause. The relay box is mounted on the firewall, which may be colder than the rest of the interior, and maybe prone to a bit of condensation in cold weather. Here is the thread that originally set me onto the possible condensation issue.
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-122907-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

Also, here is a list I compiled of all the relays with the MB and Hella part numbers. (Hella appears to be the OEM for most or all of the relays). Several of the relays are interchangeable. This list is what I found in my 2011. It appears to match the list for 2007 that was posted elsewhere on this forum, although some relays have been superseded with new numbers. But be sure to check the numbers on your actual relays; don't rely on me, just some guy on the internet, to get this right. If you order online, you may need to try either the MB or the Hella numbers to find the right relays. The "terminal" numbers refer to the European standard designations for the accessory, ignition, and start circuits.

Relays by position #.
1 horn
2 Wiper speed 1 or 2
3 Fuel pump (appears to change location in 2015)
4 Wiper on/off
5 Terminal 50 starter solenoid
6 Terminal 15R "radio" (accessory)
7 Engine control
8 Terminal 15 ignition

Replacements
1,3 MB 0045452905 (0035420219 orig, superseded), Hella 4RD965 453-04

2,4,5 MB 0025427419 (0025421419 orig, superseded) Hella 4RD 007 794-21
Originals were 20A, new are 30A

6,7,8 MB 0025422619 Hella 4RA 007 793-031

I found it particularly interesting that the starter solenoid relay was one that was upgraded to 30A. This is probably related to the blown starter fuse issue that showed up in 2010-2012 models. If you have a 20 amp relay in this position in a 2010 or later van, might be prudent to upgrade it.

Last edited:

ronniek

If the engine won't even crank then your problem is not the glow plugs. And the OP has yet to provide the details of his no-start problem either.

Hi guys I checked and swapped some relays around found that the ecm relay is faulty it now starts and is ok thanks for all the info

DanJohn

To clarify, when you say 'the dash light doesn't come on' are you referring to only the glow plug light and everything else looks normal? And by 'doesn't start', do you mean cranks but won't start or doesn't crank at all? From your description alone it's not at all clear whether your problem has anything to do with the glow plugs.

By "no start" it will not crank. It has been good at starting for last 1,000 miles but I do want to fix the issue. How do i tell which kind of glow plug I have? Do I have to pull one out?

kind regards,
dan

smiller

By "no start" it will not crank. It has been good at starting for last 1,000 miles but I do want to fix the issue. How do i tell which kind of glow plug I have? Do I have to pull one out?
If you have a pre-2012 V6 you have a 4.4 volt steel glow plug, Bosch 0-250-403-008 or http://europarts-sd.com/glowplug2007-2009.asp The change to the 7-volt ceramic part was made mid-2012.

But... if the engine will not even crank then your primary problem is not the glow plugs.

Top Bottom