What's this SHREDDED part?

Noticed my 05 sprinter 2500 was riding pretty rough and during inspection noticed this shredded "fiber board" cross member View attachment IMG_5393.zip

Does anyone know the name and or part number of this thing or maybe where it would be located on the part?

Also if anyone else has ever replaced this and has any advice on the process it would be MUCHH appreciated!!

:cheers: Cody

Some sort of leaf spring?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eka

Can you get heavier duty versions of it? I know there are heavier duty suspension options. I figured it was good to go for one of them when ordering due to heavier load of the converted RV.

Thanks everyone and sry for the sketchy zipped folder.. it said my image size was too large so that was my quick solution:/ Excellent thought Eka I will have to calculate my load and see if I can potentially get a heavier duty version. The van was previously used as a FedEx expediting van so I wonder if there would already be anything in place in the suspension to accommodate heavy shipping loads? But judging by the parts catalog that Autostaretx posted it seems like it depicts two different parts for #19 one being a heavier duty, thicker leaf spring perhaps..

... The van was previously used as a FedEx expediting van so I wonder if there would already be anything in place in the suspension to accommodate heavy shipping loads? ...
I recall comments that the NAS aka NAFTA FedEx fleet Sprinters were ordered with steel front transverse springs. Many (most) NAS aka NAFTA Sprinters came OEM with composite springs. I suppose not all Sprinters in FedEx service were originally fleet purchased.

The picture appears to me to be a shredded composite. Is it a composite spring or steel wrapped with fiberglass as Dick mentioned? I can't tell by the picture.

I know that our local Falls Auto Spring business installs an aftermarket heavy duty steel transverse spring when Sprinters need spring replacement.

vic

Added:
Is that a floor jack on the right hand side? If the jack is bearing against the single flange of the beam it can bend and damage the steel. I jack there, but always use a hardwood block to bridge the beam flanges. :2cents:

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Provide your VIN and i can do a specific part look-up on your Sprinter... if it had strange "for FedEx" parts from MB, they should show up.

--dick
p.s. regarding the two images, that puzzled me, too... usually when there's a 2nd part they're not telling you about, they do NOT draw a "leader line" from the normal part's item number. They just show an unlabeled part floating in space.
(an example of this is the dual-pulley version of the harmonic balancer)

Last edited:
Vin is WD0PD744555834050.

Aqua Puttana -it seems like it's just a composite spring

Also that's a house jack and jack stand I just had those under there for safety.. but yes I agree net time bridging the two sides of that cross member would be way better! :thumbup:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well, that was fun... (and confusing)...

Using your VIN, the first result was it showing me an image, but not revealing the number (see the last image below my signature). It also refused to give me access to your datacard (list of options and sub-assemblies that went into your Sprinter).

Digging through the EPC system i could turn off some of the "this doesn't apply" filters, which did provide a part number for the multi-leaf spring. See 1st image.

FrntSpring02.png

The MB part number A 904 320 04 01 does not appear in my MB<-->Chrysler cross reference, so i'm a bit wary of it.

So i tried looking up *my* front end... and i got the same image and part number as the above.
Which i know is wrong.
So i went in through the "service" (WIS) portal instead of the "parts" portal (EPC).
And got this: View attachment FrntSpringInstall.pdf
Which shows the front end i posted yesterday ... but WIS doesn't provide part numbers. :yell:

Coming in through WIS did provided access to your datacard, which i attach here: View attachment FrntSpring050datacard.pdf

So i certainly cannot say that anything is clarified... the A 904 320 04 01 may well be the front spring for the 4-by-4 version that was available in Europe, not here (based upon other parts EPC listed for the front end).

--dick :idunno:
frustration:
FrntSpring01.png

... and i couldn't get it to show me the image/parts in the parts catalog file at http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference
p.p.s. the installation instructions speak of a wooden block... the sub-reference describes it as 100x100x800 millimeters in size, with the specific caution to round its ends to avoid damage to the fiberglass spring.

Last edited:

Simple_One

2005 Sprinter 316 CDI 4x4
So I have hit the same brick wall between forensically trying to reassemble the lettering/numbers on my spring pack and then digging around on the mbepc.net datacard, I come to....

903 320 04 01

Still none the wiser as to what the heck the spring is or what to source as a replacement, as I can find basically nothing about it, other than this, which vaguely relates it to the 4x4 (in my case, it's a ZG3 gearbox, but knowing that isn't helping with the spring):

1615545039671.png

Top Bottom