T21 Emissions Recall Notice

Bill B.

Hello,

I am curious if anyone knows if there has been any class action, or other litigation, that has formed around anyone that has had impacts from the T21 recall that have not been compensated? My 2005 went in for the recall (I am not in CA but dealer provided no information about issues with it) when it came up during regular maintenance. After it was done, the whole CEL and backlighting cascade effect started. They sent the IC and ECU to get working with SOS diagnostics, but the parts came back, were reinstalled and the CEL persists. I lost about 4 months during 2x they tried to do the work, 6 months of CEL issues which meant no travel off the grid, etc. to be safe, and now it is in at Dick Hannah Dodge in Vancouver, WA going on week 10 or 11 with me waiting to get it back. When you have a built out van, then you lose the use during the pandemic, have to rent other vehicles, pay for other modes of transportation, and shell out for hotel rooms if you want warm and dry like your Sprinter.
I’m in Vancouver. Based upon my experience with your choice of service provider I want to say, RUN! I wouldn’t drive near them. I don’t like disparaging them collectively nor do I advocate others do so based upon one bad experience. There are good technicians to be found regardless of the garage they work i’m but if I had to guess, they don’t stick around tyat particular mega-dealer service center.

seans

I'm back after a long hiatus (been playing with Honda Insights - hope to make one both a toad and a generator/battery bank!) Got a transmission to pull, lots of rust to fix, replace one siezed/broken and a bunch of dead glow plugs, more broken exhaust manifold studs I think, and THIS. Looks like I have a LOT of reading to do. How long is Chrysler obligated to perform this recall? (I may need to register it in a state that cares, someday.)

amehl

I'm back after a long hiatus (been playing with Honda Insights - hope to make one both a toad and a generator/battery bank!) Got a transmission to pull, lots of rust to fix, replace one siezed/broken and a bunch of dead glow plugs, more broken exhaust manifold studs I think, and THIS. Looks like I have a LOT of reading to do. How long is Chrysler obligated to perform this recall? (I may need to register it in a state that cares, someday.)
I had my T21 done March 2021. Avoid it if you can. I have codes I can’t clear now. I didn’t know any better at the time but wish they didn’t do it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The issue of the instrument cluster should *not* attack a 2006.
It was only the 2004 (and some early 2005s) that had the specific problem.

Finding a competent Dodge dealer to perform the firmware update is another issue....
(and MB/Freightliner won't do it for free to a Dodge)

--dick

LocMan

Does the "turn it off twice" trick help avoid battery drain?
(turn off engine, wait a few seconds, turn key to "run" (not start), then back off. 45 seconds later the dashboard should go dark)

When the dashboard does NOT go dark after 45 seconds, you're in the "overnight drain" mode.
(since the Sprinter is at the dealer, i understand that it's hard to do the test)

--dick
Actually, my 2004 works with just one turn on and off. Rather not wear my ignition cylinder out prematurely.

TechSOS

Hello,

I am curious if anyone knows if there has been any class action, or other litigation, that has formed around anyone that has had impacts from the T21 recall that have not been compensated? My 2005 went in for the recall (I am not in CA but dealer provided no information about issues with it) when it came up during regular maintenance. After it was done, the whole CEL and backlighting cascade effect started. They sent the IC and ECU to get working with SOS diagnostics, but the parts came back, were reinstalled and the CEL persists. I lost about 4 months during 2x they tried to do the work, 6 months of CEL issues which meant no travel off the grid, etc. to be safe, and now it is in at Dick Hannah Dodge in Vancouver, WA going on week 10 or 11 with me waiting to get it back. When you have a built out van, then you lose the use during the pandemic, have to rent other vehicles, pay for other modes of transportation, and shell out for hotel rooms if you want warm and dry like your Sprinter.
You have a 2005. The t21 problem does not apply. I am unsure what your issue is or why the dealer sent us your parts but we got your email and are looking into it. We did nothing but test your parts for the dealership. Since there was nothing to do. They were only billed for testing time. No repairs or programming was done. All parts worked fine while we had them.

99sport

You have a 2005. The t21 problem does not apply. I am unsure what your issue is or why the dealer sent us your parts but we got your email and are looking into it. We did nothing but test your parts for the dealership. Since there was nothing to do. They were only billed for testing time. No repairs or programming was done. All parts worked fine while we had them.
I've had work done by SOS a couple of times. The work was excellent and the cost was very reasonable. Communication is only by email, which is not ideal, but otherwise I very highly recommend SOS diagnostics. To have similar work done at a dealer would cost 5 to 10X what SOS charges (dealers only sell new parts, they don't fix / reprogram used ECMs, which SOS does). And with the scarcity of T1Ns these days, I think your chance of a dealer successfully fixing an ECM issue these days is pretty small. SOS absolutely understands the electronics on these vans and knows what they are doing.

Hopefully most on this forum will not need SOS's services, but we T1N owners are lucky to have SOS as an option for repairs. I would not hesitate to use them again for ECM repairs / troubleshooting.

TechSOS

We have never seen a 2005 VIN that came with the same ECM and software as the 2004 model year, so I would be surprised to see that. And we have seen quite a few. All 2005's came with the ECM part number 647 153 28 79 and that part number will have no issues with the T21 recall. If you have a VIN of one of these early ones I'd love to run it through the parts catalogue to see what ECM it was supplied with so we can update our quotes if needed.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
We have never seen a 2005 VIN that came with the same ECM and software as the 2004 model year, so I would be surprised to see that. And we have seen quite a few. All 2005's came with the ECM part number 647 153 28 79 and that part number will have no issues with the T21 recall. If you have a VIN of one of these early ones I'd love to run it through the parts catalogue to see what ECM it was supplied with so we can update our quotes if needed.
I'm just going by forum member reports in these threads.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Example of unhappy 2005:
and
("parts needed"??)

--dick

TechSOS

Neither post indicates the recall was performed on their 05/06 Sprinter and caused a problem. No parts needed on a 2006. If a dealer said parts were needed, it is just more evidence why to keep you Sprinter out of the dealership.

LandSailBoat

2004 T1N Sprinter 3500 416CDI 140 WB Short Roof
New to the threads and experiencing issues related to this recall. One of my recurring codes is P2822 (from autel ap200) and I also consistently experience the EGR valve not turning off on my '04 3500. The key cycle workaround is fine for now but less than ideal. Took a look at the MB recall notice linked in the top post and, sure enough, my instrument cluster matches the PN in the notice. Without parts available to replace the IC is there any remedy to speak of? Maybe I missed it somewhere in the 50ish pages of this thread? Experienced techs out there that can repair the existing IC or perhaps undo the T21 programming on the ECU? Not registered in a state where the recall is required.

I'm also wondering if this T21 recall business might be related to the other issues I'm experiencing. While driving I get a 'light show' (as described by Nautamaran) where all IC lights turn on, all gauges except fuel flutter and/or drop to 0, and the vehicles goes into 1st gear hard limp mode. The codes I get back are almost all CAN bus related, most of them listed in that MB recall bulletin on page 5 just before the affected IC part numbers. Been trying to track down the root cause of this since May with the van nearly undriveable, already had the transmission and ABS control module rebuilt trying to remedy it but to no avail. I'm hopeful that the two issues are related, but not optimistic that they are. And even if they are it seems with no available parts there's no recourse? Can anyone answer this stranded vanlifer's plea for help?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Maybe I missed it somewhere in the 50ish pages of this thread?
MB has developed a dongle that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster that fixes the T21 IC problem.
What brand is your Sprinter?
If it's a Freightliner (sorta still owned by MB), then MB should install it for free.
If it's Dodge, it may take a fight to get Dodge to pony up the $300 MB asks for the part. But then it's just plug-and-play.

There are a few posts in the thread about it (with photos)
(i'll add a link if i find them) Found one:

--dick

Last edited:

LandSailBoat

2004 T1N Sprinter 3500 416CDI 140 WB Short Roof
Thanks Dick! I saw that in the top post but didn't realize that's what it was. I'll get in touch with a dealership to see if I can get my hands on one. Mine is a Dodge title with MB tags, the steering wheel says Freightliner so I'm gonna assume it is.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
The manufacturers name on the VIN plate (on the side of the drivers seat base) and/or the emissions sticker under the hood will be the definitive brand for your T1N.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The 3rd character of your VIN will specify the "brand".
From the 2006 service manual:
VINdecode2006service.png

--dick
p.s. I have a Freightliner, WDR ... and the seat-pedestal stickers only say "Daimler"
Likewise, the engine label only has MB/Daimler markings:
enginetagcarb.jpg

Last edited:
In San Diego county, I just renewed my registration last month and there was nada about any T-21 requirement update for my 06 T1N. It was smogged at a licensed facility that only does smog tests for the state of Ca. Lucky me?

• Thanks
Reactions: ECU

LocMan

MB has developed a dongle that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster that fixes the T21 IC problem.
What brand is your Sprinter?
If it's a Freightliner (sorta still owned by MB), then MB should install it for free.
If it's Dodge, it may take a fight to get Dodge to pony up the $300 MB asks for the part. But then it's just plug-and-play.

There are a few posts in the thread about it (with photos)
(i'll add a link if i find them) Found one:

--dick
Hi Dick,

So the install of the Mercedes module is plug and play?

Pull console, plug in and done?

Will this take care of all the T-21 related issues?

Thanks!

Jef

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So the install of the Mercedes module is plug and play?
Pull console, plug in and done?
Will this take care of all the T-21 related issues?
The dongle corrects the problem that the T21 firmware change in the ECU triggers with the 2004 instrument cluster (IC).

So
(a) FIRST you get the T21 recall performed
(b) which THEN causes the Sprinter to flatten its battery overnight, since you don't notice that the IC display doesn't go dark after 45 seconds.
(c) the quick work-around is to turn the key on, then off again, pull it out, and the display WILL go dark 45 seconds later.
(d) the OLD fix was to replace the IC with a newer model. MB has run out of that part.
(e) the NEW fix is to add that dongle.... it apparently notices that the van is off, and sends the appropriate command over the CANbus to truly shut the Sprinter down.

You could consider the dongle as a band-aid to correct the wound caused by the ECM firmware update.

The firmware update makes the ECM notice problems with the MAF. Prior to the recall/update, it was ignoring them.

--dick

Top Bottom