Sprinter replacement key problems... T1N

glasseye

Both SOS Diagnostics and Green Diesel Engineering offer SKREEM delete function. GDE will do it by modifying your engine management software via the Internet and some mailed-to-you programming hardware. SOS, I believe require that you send them your engine management computer hardware (chip).

B

billintomahawk

Hey guys.
I don't understand what it means to 'clone a key'?

Could someone explain the process for me.

I'm down to one key.

bill in tomahawk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"What's a 'clone'?"

You take your existing can-start-the-Sprinter key to a decent locksmith.

They put it in an electronic box that pulses the RFID chip in the key, and records the key's response.

They then write that response into a new key with a programmable RFID chip embedded.

They then cut that new key's metal to match your existing key.

The new key is a "clone" of your old one. Your Sprinter cannot tell the two apart, it thinks they're both the "old" one.

------compare and contrast to---------
If, however, you went to the *dealer*, they would create a key with a *new and different* RFID chip/response (but the same cut-metal shape)
That *new* response would have to be programmed into your Sprinter so that it allows both your old and new key to start-and-run it.

So a dealer-sourced key is not a "clone" ... it's a metal "copy", but an entirely different RFID response.

--dick

B

billintomahawk

OK I get the difference now. It sounds like a simple process and if Ace can do it my problem is solved.

So the Ebay key blank has a chip in it. Correct?

I supply the Ebay blank, Ace cuts the Ebay key and programs the chip.

Then I am good to go for starting my Sprinter with any key and also manual locking the doors.

Is that the procedure that's being described?

bill

Last edited by a moderator:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
OK I get the difference now. It sounds like a simple process and if Ace can do it my problem is solved.
Start by asking at Ace, and if they cannot, ask your local locksmiths.
IF you mean https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-NEW-UNCU...OR-DODGE-BENZ-SPRINTER-2003-2006/221627767744 , they do claim that it's "transponder-chipped" which means RFID.
I cannot answer if your Ace can handle that *specific* key's chip. But probably.
Then I am good to go for starting my Sprinter with any key and also manual locking the doors.

That's the theory.

--dick (who has only made "mechanical"(no chip) copies, since i have four "real" keys)

LS1K5

So I got two of the replacement RFID keys cut but nobody would clone them around my place so I thought maybe it would learn the new RFID and tried to start it, bad idea! I'm reading start error on the dash now with the old key and won't start the van, anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You could *try* disconnecting the Sprinter's battery for a few minutes, then reconnecting and using the good old key.

Otherwise it's competent scanner time (with luck a Snap-on, but perhaps requiring a dealer's DRB-III or StarScan.

If you have the immobilizer option, your headache may be a bit more severe.

--dick
p.s. thanks for the warning ... the Sprinter will *not* believe an unknown key is "good" merely by multiple attempts

LS1K5

I disconnected the battery and turned the ignition to the on position for a few minutes then back off, reconnected the battery and it works now. Thanks for the reply, now to find someone to clone the new keys.

LocMan

bill
Does ACE actually have the capacity to clone the chip???

That would be news to me. :thinking:

When I looked into it (long ago) even the larger locksmiths were sending people to the dealer.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Try reading through this much longer thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61214

Folks have done it.

--dick
p.s. today i met on the street the neighborhood "safe and lock" locksmith ... i asked him if he did car keys (flipping my T1N's key at him)
His answer: "Not any more ... the car manufacturers are pulling back what they used to supply, the key styles keep changing, and they're wanting $8000 for the new dual-sided cutters. Most of the small shops are dropping new cars and sending folks to the dealer."

Last edited:

RJV

Ok. After reading through all the key problem posts lately(and posting my own), I finally have to ask, I cannot possibly keep it in any longer...Why is everyone here so hell bent on spending hours upon hours searching for a magic way to get a duplicate key?

*Added*
I ask because $80 for a chipped and cut key from SOS(no affiliation) seems very reasonable to me. I'm about to send them my one and only key, and am worried there is something I don't know since it doesn't seem like anyone else feels this is a viable option.

Last edited:

LS1K5

The Ace in my town will make a cloned key for $80 but they won't cut a blank with the chip and program it if you bring it to them, I had the locksmith cut the two keys I bought online for $14 and he only charged me $4 to cut the two keys now I just need to get them cloned which is a simple process if you can find someone to do it. Two keys for $20 + cloning is way better than $160 for two keys.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"Why?"

Some of us just like to dink around and aren't facing the immediate crisis of only one key, so it's easy/fun/informative to explore the options. Thus i have a $3 "mechanical" Ilco MB-17 key which can unlock my doors and crank (but not start) my T1N.

The SOS $80 solution is certainly a valid "time is money" approach ... but if you're down to one key, you're without your Sprinter during the process. For some people that's difficult. (Hint: photograph your key's profile before mailing it)

different strokes for different folks...
--dick
p.s. the Ace stores are independently owned and operated ... what any one store will/won't do doesn't mean that the next town over won't operate differently. A "won't cut your off-store key" policy may be a result of cutter damage on a previous steel key.

Last edited:

RJV

The Ace in my town will make a cloned key for $80 but they won't cut a blank with the chip and program it if you bring it to them, I had the locksmith cut the two keys I bought online for $14 and he only charged me $4 to cut the two keys now I just need to get them cloned which is a simple process if you can find someone to do it. Two keys for $20 + cloning is way better than $160 for two keys.
Agreed, at face value.

RJV

"Why?"

Some of us just like to dink around and aren't facing the immediate crisis of only one key, so it's easy/fun to explore the options.

Totally understand this. I apologize to all if the question sounded accusatory, was not the intent. The immediate crisis factor definitely plays a part in my thoughts on best way out.

Totally understand this. I apologize to all if the question sounded accusatory, was not the intent. The immediate crisis factor definitely plays a part in my thoughts on best way out.
If you can give SOS the turnaround time without hardship, that is a very good solution for getting more keys. If you go with SOS don't forget to order a couple, or more $3 door only keys.

Once you have the proper chipped keys and one of them breaks you can Redneck the $3 door key to the plastic chip handle.

:cheers: vic

RJV

If you can give SOS the turnaround time without hardship, that is a very good solution for getting more keys. If you go with SOS don't forget to order a couple, or more $3 door only keys.

Once you have the proper chipped keys and one of them breaks you can Redneck the $3 door key to the plastic chip handle.

:cheers: vic
That's the plan. I'm going to get a few mech/chip keys from them, just to have so that I'm never down to 1 again. Then another 4 or more door keys, as I have 3 spare chips in broken/improperly cut keys. I know I could save money just doing the door keys and rednecking them(and I look forward to the novelty of doing so), but like I said, I just want to never have to worry about this again. I also want to do the door key only underbody stash, with a hidden chip key, or at least chip, inside the van.

LS1K5

Yes, I only have one key with the remote so I definitely wouldn't ship it off before having another in hand. Now to find a good way to clone the remote key. The Ace store won't clone mine because of liability reasons, apparently they tried cloning someone's key unsuccessful and then the original didn't work.

... as I have 3 spare chips in broken/improperly cut keys...
Non FOB keys? Check with SOS.
I'll bet they can give you additional keys if you just send both parts of the properly working, but broken key complete. No need to send your good key.

SOS

Aftermarket non-remote keys that will start your van are $40 each including programming. The turnaround time is one business day.

Parts needed:

One working key

A “hide-a-key” or a key that will only open the door is $3. For these keys we only need a good working key for duplication. The turnaround time is one business day.

Last edited:

Top Bottom