cruise control problem 2015 sprinter

srt4ny

I have a problem with the cruise control it wont work 70% of the time when I try to set it just beeps and wont set until I restart the van ,I looked up the code and it shows a code for a faulty cruse control switch, would that be the handle part on the steering wheel ? and how hard is it to replace does the steering wheel have to come off?

Last edited:

sailquik

srt4ny,
OK, sp no 36 mo./36k warranty left.
First check the brake light switch actuator......it's a plastic extension ( adjustable by pulling it out further) to see if the brake
light switch could be staying partially engaged.
Having an out of adjustment brake light switch will cancel the cruise control (Tempomat) every time you try to engage it.
Then, yes, the little stalk on the LH side of the steering wheel is the Cruise Control Switch.
Yes, you have to remove the steering wheel, and get it very accurately back in place or the steering center sensors will
be out of alignment and caise issues with the ABS and ESP (Traction Control).
First disconnect the battery (before you do any thing to the steering wheel) or you could set off the steering wheel airbag
squib.
You can get a new cruise control switch/stalk assembly at your nearest authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer.
After the CC switch/stalk assembly install, very carefully replace the steering wheel in the exact rotational orientation
that you removed it. Smart move is to place a sharpie pen dot on the spline shaft, and a corresponding dot on the
spline hub in the steering wheel.
Mae sure the spline shaft and spline hub go back together exactly the way they came apart.
Then tighten the nut and reinstall the horn and airbag cover.
Then re attach the battery.
Might be easier to let an authorized MB Sprinter dealer do this process.
Roger

srt4ny

Thanks you're very helpful, I'm starting to think it could be a break paddle switch I'm hearing some clicking down there sometimes,now to adjust when o just push it towards the pedal and then push the pedal in it pushes the sensor back in , I mean it kind of moves freely both ways is it supposed to

sailquik

srt4ny,
Might want to take the brake light switch out (it's a PITA and requires small hands and body contortions
because it's way up under the dash above the steering column) then check that the plastic adjuster is
functioning correctly.
Yes, it's supposed to pull out/extend longer fairly easily and it will "click" as the linear ratchet extends.
Yes, if you get it too long, it will click back to the proper adjustment.
The extender and the brake light switch are not very expensive, so might be worthwhile to replace them both
while you are in there.
Are the "clicks" you hear the extender collapsing, or are they electronic relays making and breaking?
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In the T1N models, the cruise control switch was built such that two switches were operated whenever you moved the control.
That (hopefully) prevents the Sprinter from doing something silly (unsafe) if a single wire or switch section gets weird.
Here's the T1N Cruise Control Switch as a "it might be like this" guide ...

CruiseControlSwitch.png

My easiest-to-use NCV3 wiring diagram does not detail the inner workings of the cruise control switch itself, but does show who-else feeds into the logic:

CruiseControlDiesel.png

(that's the circuitry for the diesel, the gasoline version just shuffles a few pin numbers)

In the T1N version, if the OFF switch had a broken wire (since it's a "normally closed" switch), the CC would never turn on.

--dick

Chevre

I have a problem with the cruise control it wont work 70% of the time when I try to set it just beeps and wont set until I restart the van ,I looked up the code and it shows a code for a faulty cruse control switch, would that be the handle part on the steering wheel ? and how hard is it to replace does the steering wheel have to come off?
I've recently started having the same problem and wondered if you'd found a solution. Mine beeps as well and flashes a warning (SPEED RESTR or something similar) on the instrument panel for a second or less and the cruise can't be re-engaged until the van restarts. There is no speed limiter (that I've dared find) on the van- it'll pull until I run out of nerve.

The beep suggests to me that it may not be a brake signal as you don't get a sound when canceling cruise by tapping the brakes :-\

Has anyone else had the same problem- or better yet solved it? Thanks in advance!

Chevre

Thanks Bob!

So their 'adjustment' just consists of cycling the switch a few times? It's worth a shot (the price is right) but as tapping the brake doesn't trigger the beep I'm hearing I'm leaning towards CC switch or ESP wheel speed sensor as likely culprits. It's an intermittent problem so it'll probably only happen -or not- on my next long drive :(

Chevre

Just wanted to (belatedly) close this out. Replacing the CC switch fixed my issue- there was apparently nothing to do with the speed limiter or brake pedal. The most nerve-wracking part of the process is removing the explosive-equipped steering wheel (make sure battery is disconnected, discharge any static electricity, etc.). But even then it's a 30-45m job and cost under $150.

In the ~15-20 hours' driving since everything has been peachy. Thanks all,

mb

Krash

Chevre
Did your trip odometer flatline momentarily when you heard the beep? I go to set the cruise and I get a beep and the trip odometer just shows dashes and then I have to stop and restart the truck to get cruise again. Been doing this for a couple of months now and I've been trying to figure it out.

ellgazzell

Chevre
Did your trip odometer flatline momentarily when you heard the beep? I go to set the cruise and I get a beep and the trip odometer just shows dashes and then I have to stop and restart the truck to get cruise again. Been doing this for a couple of months now and I've been trying to figure it out.
Hi Cherve,

I've come to this thread with a problematic cruise control and am looking for a solution. Gonna work through the previous suggestions, but your description is identical to what is happening with mine, so would love to know if/how you solved it to eliminate some steps or get straight to the issue.

Only just bought the van and got a star diagnostic coming in 2 weeks so will pull up any codes and share my results solutions here if I manage it.

Cheers, James

Krash

Code, don't remember what is was, came up for faulty cruise control switch assembly. If I move it carefully to set/accel it works fine but if I just jam it upwards it faults. All other positions are no problem. So there you are, it's the switch. $180 in our funny coloured money here North of the border. Plus the time to change it.

Mickyfin

Chevre
Exactly the same thing happened to me just today whilst testing my BLS after extending it, and letting the brake pedal rest back in place, I had a problem with my brake lights staying on, after adjusting the BLS plunger, my brake lights no work as they should, but still haver these lights on the dash..

IMG_20190829_150407 by S STEEL, on Flickr

Krash

I'm pretty sure that if your brake lights don't work when you step on the pedal you are going to confuse the stability control and ABS systems which would give you the dash indications. I'm not sure but I believe there is either a dual circuit switch or 2 switches. If one or the other is faulty it confuses the software which then triggers the dash lights. (I still haven't changed the CC switch. I just operate it gently and it works fine. The only indication I ever get for the faulty CC switch is the flatlined trip odometer.)

Top Bottom