mystery rubber part after radiator clean

gwftc

Sprinter was starting to get towards the red line on long grades. disassembled front and cleaned bugs and sand from radiators. On the ground this small rubber U turn part appeared.
Inspected suspect areas with no luck. Hoping for some help . . .
Thanks, Gary

Attachments

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Regarding approaching redline... not good! I blew a hole in my piston and concluded it was due to over heating. I never went into the red but on hot days, 95 F, the truck would idle around 210 F. Putting in a new, and making sure it was the right size, serpentine belt and belt tensioner fixed the over heating.

Regarding approaching redline... not good! I blew a hole in my piston and concluded it was due to over heating. I never went into the red but on hot days, 95 F, the truck would idle around 210 F. Putting in a new, and making sure it was the right size, serpentine belt and belt tensioner fixed the over heating.
Slipping?

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Yes, but it seems to be a bit more complicated than that and I'm not sure of the mechanics... what tipped me off to the problem was my viscous clutch/fan assembly was not working properly. I changed it out to the proper new oem fan/clutch, but no change, still did not engage. Turns out that when the fan clutch was engaging but it was causing the water pump bearing to slow down since the belt/tensioner was not working properly. So not only was I not getting the airflow I needed but I also wasn't getting proper coolant flow!!!

It was 106 F here in Northern CA yesterday and I went on a short drive up a hill and let the truck idle for a while. It topped off at 210 F going up the hill and then settled down to 190 while idling at stop. Before it would have shot up to at least 230 F and at idle/stop probably stay around 210.

Wish I would have caught this sooner!

Last edited:

Top Bottom