Macerator Hose Pin Hole

CabinHal

2017 Unity MB
The discharge hose on my Thetford macerator has developed side-by-side pin holes - I'll leave the image of the effect when you turn on the pump to the imagination. We've only had our 2017 UMB for 10 months, and I'll call Thetford on Monday for a warranty claim. I searched this forum and haven't found other complaints about this, but I thought I'd double check. The replacement hose costs about $80 on Amazon, and all of the negative comments are in regards to pin holes. Even one or two 4-star ratings mentioned pin-hole problems! So, I'm wondering about replacement alternatives to the Thetford hose.

Thanks in advance!

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
Only problem I had was when I forgot to take the cap off before turning on the pump.

(the hose blew off the adapter. kind of a mess. funny part is I put the hose on and did it again. wife mentioned it was funny to watch, and probably time to head home for a day or two.)

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
I have not run into this problem with my 2014 TB to date.

EDIT: I am certainly going to be looking more carefully after reading this.

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

I had a holes where to hose comes into the coach. I was lucky to get one at my local friendly RV store. Best price ever---free. I ran Drexel around hole and smoothed out the edges. Seems to work.

CabinHal

2017 Unity MB
Only problem I had was when I forgot to take the cap off before turning on the pump.

(the hose blew off the adapter. kind of a mess. funny part is I put the hose on and did it again. wife mentioned it was funny to watch, and probably time to head home for a day or two.)
Wow, Mike. My 2-ft geysers pale in comparison with what must have been a fire hose effect for you. I admire your wife for laughing at the situation. My dear wife would have fled the state!

CabinHal

2017 Unity MB
I had a holes where to hose comes into the coach. I was lucky to get one at my local friendly RV store. Best price ever---free. I ran Drexel around hole and smoothed out the edges. Seems to work.
I'm sure I should know this, but what is Drexel? It occurs to me that maybe I could find a sealant for the pinholes.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
Wow, Mike. My 2-ft geysers pale in comparison with what must have been a fire hose effect for you. I admire your wife for laughing at the situation. My dear wife would have fled the state!
Was not as bad as it could have been. i was parked a bit forward from the minimum, and working the switch.

I had her outside watching so i could show her how it is done. it seems the negative example reminded her that the cap needs to come off.

:professor:

We have not had the problem but last year was talking to a fellow Unity traveller and he suggested covering the hose with rubber or tape where it comes through the floor of the outside compartment.
You may want to make the access hole a little larger to accommodate the extra material. So far we have not had any issues, but we could see some potential wear on the hose. As it pulsates and rubs against the plastic access hole.
By the way we love the macerator dump and the long hose. Everything keeps so clean.

kmay

2013 Unity MB
The potential for failure where the macerator hose passed into the coach, particularly at full extension, bothered my restless mind. Under varied pump speeds, I see a lot of movement especially at the bend entering the coach. After a trip to plumbing section of local hardware, I resolved the problem. Heavy duty clear hose, pvc bayonet elbow fitting and hose clamps and 20 minutes. I removed macerator hose and replaced it with a short clear hose and elbow. The elbow passes into the coach and is the only point of potential abrasion. plus, no longer have a bend.

I will likely add another clear hose section in the coach with a bayonet straight coupling to make it easier to see what's pumping.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

And I thought I invented that technique!
Leave cap on... entertain the neighbors!

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I wonder if that Liquid Rubber sold on TV would work?
Flex Seal.
For repairs, that is.

Can you imagine the commercials they could make??
"Leaking poo?? Reach for the Goo!!"

CabinHal

2017 Unity MB
he means Dremel.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/tools/-/search-tools/find-by-category/27343/rotary

electric tool with a grinder to smooth the edge of the metal the hose goes through (and may rub against)
Dremel! Of course, thanks!. I'll have to check the housing of my hose for rough edges. The pin holes are near the nozzle end, which is the first thing out and last thing back in the bin during dumping. A burr on the edge of the entry into the bin could do the dirty trick.

CabinHal

2017 Unity MB
Was not as bad as it could have been. i was parked a bit forward from the minimum, and working the switch.

I had her outside watching so i could show her how it is done. it seems the negative example reminded her that the cap needs to come off.

:professor:
I'll sure think about that cap on all future dumping episodes!

CabinHal

2017 Unity MB
The potential for failure where the macerator hose passed into the coach, particularly at full extension, bothered my restless mind. Under varied pump speeds, I see a lot of movement especially at the bend entering the coach. After a trip to plumbing section of local hardware, I resolved the problem. Heavy duty clear hose, pvc bayonet elbow fitting and hose clamps and 20 minutes. I removed macerator hose and replaced it with a short clear hose and elbow. The elbow passes into the coach and is the only point of potential abrasion. plus, no longer have a bend.

I will likely add another clear hose section in the coach with a bayonet straight coupling to make it easier to see what's pumping.
Great idea. Actually seeing what's going through the line is far more enlightening than trying to guess while the hose pulsates like a snake. Deciding when to turn the macerator pump off is always guess work.

Tannys

2016 Unity TB Portland OR

Could you please post a photo of this modification?

Normand

This hose is "pinched" by the white plastic tab when you store it. The white plastic with the ole is too small. And buy a can to paint the end cap. Mine is fluo green....

Top Bottom