Dead outlets

Readytogo

I just obtained a used 2013 Siesta 24SR and all 120v outlets are dead... microwave, TV work.
Breakers "feel" normal. How do I test/troubleshoot this issue? I'd rather address it myself (with your help) than take it to a shop.
Thanks

Look around for, and reset any GFI receptacles. It is common in RV's for receptacles to be supplied power by a feed through type GFI which protects all receptacles connected to it. My travel trailer has that GFI receptacle located in the bathroom.

The appliances work because likely they are plugged into dedicated receptacles which are not required to be GFI protected.

vic

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
How do I test/troubleshoot this issue? I'd rather address it myself (with your help) than take it to a shop.
Thanks
Good on ya!!! You CERTAINLY can do it on your own and you'll be a more able and confident RVer just for the time and effort you put in.

Start with the wiring diagrams that came with you rv and, to make things quick and simple, an inexpensive VOM (volt-ohm-milliamp meter) about $20 at Sears, NAPA,etc.

Not familiar with your rig. How many sources of AC...shore power, generator, rectifier??
Is everything "dead" with all sources?? If so, there is a common point somewhere on your wiring diagram where all feed your distribution panels. Often that is at or near thew rectifier and often it has an inline breaker or fuse.

Hope this helps. Enjoy exploring your RV///Ed

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
First question and the most important - are you plugged into shore power?

I only ask as 'Dead outlets' is a very common question on UK MH forums and it turns out that newby MH'ers expect the mains (230 V in UK) outlets to be powered by the 12 v battery without having to plug into EHU (and without using an inverter).

If you are plugged into shore power do any appliances, eg fridge, lights, etc, etc, work? If yes then look for GFI as suggested above, if no then double check shore power is actually live.

Keith.

I'm thinking the problem is resolved and this may be yet another thread which never gets closure.

vic

P.S. - Great input on being plugged in. It was mentioned that the microwave and TV worked. Newer TV's may work on inverter power, but a typical stock inverter probably won't power up a microwave... other than the digital display I guess.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Crow thoughts! If microwave works it's gotta be on shore or genny power. AP's suggestion about checking GFIs is a good start. Outlets near galley and in the lavatory should be protected by GFI to make electric code in US.

The question is "where did they put ine dang things" Likely in the lav where a razor or hair dryer would plug in.... Galley? On the wall or on the side of a cabinet. Could be at floor level. It is a Snipe Hunt......

From a friend's experience.... Check the CBs again. They can be tripped but look "ON." Her's was looking "ON" but not. Turn them off one and on one by one t be sure they are connected.

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
Agree with Vic re: orphaned thread....seems like folks would close 'em out. Also, re:microwave.....it's the first place I look to see if AC is available.

Readytogo

My apologies for leaving my friends hanging--
turned out I had a balky CB as well as a dead battery islator relay!...different issues but co-existing.
A new issue emerged these last few days: boondocking for three nights, no charging either from engine or generator, but minimal drain (furnace, water heater, fridge, pump, interior lights). I was down only 1 led this morning. When I started the engine, three warning lightrs came on-- ABS and the adjacent two which are related to traction controls. The manual said these could come on if my vehicle battery was low. The starter cranked over as usual and the motor fired up right away. After letting it run in case the battery had been drained (?) I checked the voltage of the chassis battery with the motor off-- 15.6v!
I had to drive 150mi home-- engine ran smoothly, lights stayed on and cruise control was inactive.
How would you go about troubleshooting this? Its raining tonight, but I want to dig in tomorrow.
I have a 750mi round trip coming up next weekend.
Thanks for your input and I WILL inform the group about how this is resolved.
Cheers, Peter

Top Bottom