Green Diesel Engineering : GOOD!

Motodave

Hi All,

2007 NCV3 owner here, bought w/ 120K miles, now at 150K miles. I've been using this site for a few years now, thanks for all of the information and ideas! My van has really turned into pretty much exactly what I wanted it to thanks in large part to these forums.

Since I drive quite a bit in Mexico and the lack of ULSD and DPF, I have been considering a tune since I picked up this vehicle about 2 years ago, primarily for a DPF delete, but just wasn't ready to pull the trigger for a variety of reasons. Finally a couple of weeks ago I decided to give it a go with GDE after reading plenty of reviews on here. I found really only what appeared to be positive reviews and some people that were angry at people willing to modify their vehicles (super strange considering that is pretty much 100% what this site is for from my perspective....)

Anyways, I got my box a couple of weeks ago, followed the simple instructions (download current computer, email to GDE, wait for a reply, upload new config) and was running with about 20 minutes of effort on my part and about 50 minutes of waiting for the file to come back even though I sent if Friday at 6PM.

I went for a 10 minute test drive and immediately could tell the difference. No more lag, no more surge, no more strange upshifts or waiting for downshifts. Not that any of these things were terrible stock, just minor annoyances that were easy enough to drive around but I always knew they were there. Especially when my wife or a friend would take over driving for a while and they would be anything but smooth and predictable for the first 20 minutes.

Dramatic increase in power and pretty much instant response at all speeds. I couldn't be happier. Now, I still have the DPF and dont have immediate plans to remove it but I probably will do that before my next long Mexico trip. The folks at GDE (for a very reasonable fee) said they can get me a tune that work with that setup as well. Based on their responsiveness and the performance of what they have already done for me I have no reason to doubt them.

As far as economy goes, I have yet to run a couple of full tanks and track my mileage but my economy has always been pretty poor, which I have attributed to a pretty substantial custom roof rack and side mounted ladder but it definitely appears to be significantly improved just based on the couple of trips I've taken around town and to work over the last couple of weeks.

No question, a good product. Glad I did it!

Dave
Phoenix AZ

Trucked

Is there any other/further user feedback on GDE?

I first heard of them just yesterday on a referral from my trusted mechanic. I came here to see if I could find any independent reviews...

TIA

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Is there any other/further user feedback on GDE?

I first heard of them just yesterday on a referral from my trusted mechanic. I came here to see if I could find any independent reviews...

TIA
My review:
Installing their product violates US law.

There hundreds of posts about Green Diesel engineering. Use the "search" button near the top of the home page. Most seem favorable as far as performance goes. Some negative posts worry about possible increase in emissions (NOx, soot, etc.). Also some worry about passing smog tests if you start physically removing components (like the DPF filter). The other problem seems to be that the "upgrade" only works on older vans. (pre 2010 ?)

Dlankhaar

Lectric Can
My 2007 with 240,000 started to have swirl valve issues, did the GDE eco tune to delete EGR and swirl.
GDE response was great and went out of there way to get upgrade back to me this’s weekend.����
Very noticeable performance increase.

MitchellGordon

I installed the Green Diesel Engineering Solution on my 2010 Winnebago View Profile at 14,000 miles. The solution was installed around Thanksgiving 2017. The people at Green Diesel Engineering were great. I waited 5 months to post this review to see if it works. I must say, i’m Very pleased with the results. No more “limp” mode, increase in gas mileage & a whole lot more power. WOW. I went up the Grapevine in Southern California at 72 in the fast lane. I get at least 2 more mpg.

DVolk

I purchased the tune to last summer for a 2009 Prism (2008 chassis) after much research.

Simple to install. No issues there.

Have made a few trips since. Works great. Noticed the increased power just pulling out of the driveway. (I have a steep drive).

Overall am very happy with it and am considering the DPF delete. Picked up a couple mpg to boot.

Good people, Good product!

D

Deleted member 50714

I purchased the tune to last summer for a 2009 Prism (2008 chassis) after much research.

Simple to install. No issues there.

Have made a few trips since. Works great. Noticed the increased power just pulling out of the driveway. (I have a steep drive).

Overall am very happy with it and am considering the DPF delete. Picked up a couple mpg to boot.

Good people, Good product!
Pictures?

HighPockets

When I have a choice between burning fuel efficiently with good performance and constantly going into Limp Mode (which can't possibly be burning fuel efficiently) and afraid to take a trip. M-B tells me I need a new DPF due to it's age (272Kmi). It's a no brainer. When I compare the former to the latter as to fouling the air I think efficiency wins out. I have no problem staying out of California, Colorado is a bit harder but I did most of it on motorcycle years ago. To say I am happy with my GDE tune is an understatement. For me it is simply a matter of you do what you have to.

Gene

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
Happy with my GDE tune, maybe it's a little smoother and sportier, can't really tell much, thing drives great. Got my best tank after the GDE tune, 24.8 mpg not even babying it really, haven't seen below 21mpg even when driving in brisk stop and go city traffic. My Autel scanner shows the EGR at 6% and not moving at all, so I guess it's working. Nice to not worry about start errors, but now I have to wire in the engine lock relay on my compustar alarm. There's no emissions testing here, so I'm not so sure it is in violation of the law, but as GDE explains it trades slightly more NOx emissions for less C02, hence the "Green".

"GDE does not measure NOx levels in the tuning as a multi-million dollar lab is needed for that to measure correctly and simply not in our budget. We focus on minimizing CO2 in our tuning as this is a global warming gas and has a 1:1 relation with fuel usage. Maximize fuel economy equals minimizing CO2 output."

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
There's no emissions testing here, so I'm not so sure it is in violation of the law
This is simply incorrect. What you did is TOTALLY against federal law--it is a violation of the Clean Air Act. This is easy to validate, e.g.:
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement#engines

Despite the repeated lies from "Green" Diesel Engineering, any modification to an emissions system is a violation, both by the owner and (obviously) by the shop. It doesn't matter who does it, it doesn't matter whether your state has emissions testing, it doesn't matter whether you use the vehicle 100% off road. You are doing business with criminals. They will eventually get caught and be put out of business. Good riddance.

Last edited:

robzr

I ordered a Green Diesel Engineering tune on the 20th, it shipped on the 21st, I had it on the 25th, and they had emailed me a custom tune on the 26th! The instructions were thorough and simple, and I'm impressed with the hardware and software. So far they've been a pleasure to work with - responsive, thorough, and professional.

I had a chance to try a GDE tune on an off road course, and was surprised with the increase in power - it was more than I expected from just a flash. I've spent my share of time, money and busted knuckles working on cars, changing cams, heads, tuning carbs, etc in the past. My current daily driver is a Subaru Forester XT with an upgraded turbo, intercooler and a dyno tune; but the GDE tune, for being software-only, is probably the most significant single upgrade I've tried on a vehicle yet. A lot of modifications I've done in the past result in "I think I feel it, but it might just be in my head....", but the GDE tune was immediately noticeable. I could see why some folks would think it's subtle, but I've done some pretty expensive and involved part swaps on cars that were less noticeable. So, I'm very pleased! I haven't had a chance to try a GDE tune on a long highway or off-road drive to compare MPG yet, but I hope to soon, and will update my post.

Rob

Jodean

This law bullshit to tune a diesel is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. If you look at any diesel truck in South Dakota you will find no cats, no dpf, no def tank. They have all been deleted. Better mileage and better burn are lower CO2 emissions, better for environment.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
This law bullshit to tune a diesel is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. If you look at any diesel truck in South Dakota you will find no cats, no dpf, no def tank. They have all been deleted. Better mileage and better burn are lower CO2 emissions, better for environment.
:crazy:

Top Bottom