Seems like radiator has tiny leak

dg55117

2005 , 168k,
Middle of long trip, my coolant level light came on, checked and added less than a quart- all was fine. Finished last 1000 miles and got home noticed puddle on garage floor front pass side.
Level in res was low again(no light on tho).
Now I cant find leak. All hoses were replaced 10k prior. Drive van and I don't see leak anywhere.
Should I pressure test it or any ideas to find leak would be appreciated!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Check the seam around the header tank, they have a habit of splitting at the weld.

Keith.

New hoses?

Have you re-snugged all of the related clamps?

A leak favoring the NAS aka NAFTA passenger side...

My water pump seal was leaking enough to need periodic refill, but not enough to really reveal a leak around the pump. Eventually it revealed itself.

I'm not saying that your water pump is leaking. If you can't trace the leak to other components it may be worth carefully inspecting the water pump.

Often the G-05 HOAT based coolant will leave a white trace leak trail after evaporation.

Good luck. vic

misterbond10

autozone you can rent a free pressure tester, or maybe it was advance auto. Other method is buying UV dye and flashlight kit

dg55117

Thanks all.
Hoses were tight and re-tightened. Unfortunately when it leaked, I wasn't able to get under it and look. Now it just won't drip anywhere.
I guess I will look closely at waterpump and get pressure tester

Caps seem to list between 16 - 20 psi for the 2.7L 5 cyl. 15# test pressure should do what you need.

vic

dg55117

Well Vic, you are 2 for 2. After pressure test, it appears I have 2 leakers. It seems my therm housing and water pump are leaking slightly.
So I ordered both and will re test radiator after I do waterpump etc.
I'll have to find "how to" on this great resource.
Thx

Preston

04 Sprinter, 118" Cargo
I'm having a similar issue.
I can't really trace where it's coming from but I bet it's the same thing you have going on. Did you find a video or procedure to replace your waterpump? And you were happy with the Europarts product that shipped? Any issues or situations to avoid when replacing it?
Thanks

smitty009

Smitty009
I'm also having a similar issue and need an idea or advice .
I've been losing small amounts of coolant after even just a 100 miles or so and can't seem to find any actual leaks. I am seeing dried white spots scattered in the drivers side of the engine compartment and suspect it could be coming from around the overflow reservoir on top of the radiator. It only seems to happen when I'm moving as the spots are quite scattered and I can't see anything leaking when stopped. I've crawled around under it and examined the hoses/clamps and water pump and I replaced the radiator cap and even tried stop leak reluctantly with no success. Is the reservoir part of the radiator or does it come off ? ( as it seems to be coming from there and getting blown around the engine compartment from there ) Has anyone had a similar problem or experience ?

Seaker

I just had an on and off leak. Traced it to the water pump area and this week took the time to replace it. In my case it was leaking at the lower side of the water pump between the pump and the motor. I wish I had been able to see things better because I would have tried tightening the lower bolts before going though everything to replace it. You have to take a lot apart before you even take the pump out. I used this for advice. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6228

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I'm also having a similar issue and need an idea or advice .
I've been losing small amounts of coolant after even just a 100 miles or so and can't seem to find any actual leaks. I am seeing dried white spots scattered in the drivers side of the engine compartment and suspect it could be coming from around the overflow reservoir on top of the radiator. It only seems to happen when I'm moving as the spots are quite scattered and I can't see anything leaking when stopped. I've crawled around under it and examined the hoses/clamps and water pump and I replaced the radiator cap and even tried stop leak reluctantly with no success. Is the reservoir part of the radiator or does it come off ? ( as it seems to be coming from there and getting blown around the engine compartment from there ) Has anyone had a similar problem or experience ?
You might also try to check to see if the leakage is caused by (say) a cracked head gasket pressurizing the coolant with exhaust gasses... those would overcome the radiator cap's 16 psi spring and leak (as it's designed to do).

If it's possible, wrap the cap and neck with a baggie and see if the leaking fluid ends up inside or outside of the bag.

--dick (yeah... Mr. Doom and Gloom)

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Small leaks at the radiator are a possibility. Any leak on the front of the engine will get blown everywhere.

I would rinse the engine down, and put a UV dye in the coolant. Take it for a drive, and check the engine with a UV/black light.

PATECO

Mine is leaking enough that I have to add to the reservoir every two weeks. but no spots on the ground. No wet hoses. I will look at the water pump next. 2004 with 298,000 miles

smitty009

Smitty009
Thanks Autostaretx, I tried the baggie with no result, which is the good news I think.

Thanks Midwestdrifter, I will go down and get some and try it, it sounds like a leak to me. I just can't seem to get it to leak unless it's under load or running. It won't even leak when sitting here idling (weird).

smitty009

Smitty009
Small leaks at the radiator are a possibility. Any leak on the front of the engine will get blown everywhere.

I would rinse the engine down, and put a UV dye in the coolant. Take it for a drive, and check the engine with a UV/black light.
Bingo ! There's the leak on the other side of the expansion tank, at least there's some pools on the fins of it that must be the leak. Thanks so much. Now to replace it. What is amazing is the difference in prices of new ones. They go from $83 to $350 :thinking:

Top Bottom