Someone Broke into my 2006 -118" Sliding door

Adam12

Monday NIGHT. Somebody broke into my Sprinter though the sliding door. Obviously it was locked. Now I am also sure the so called factory security system was not on... Sometimes when I lock it , the van locks on the first attempt and the lights blink 3 times. Other times the van locks/unlocks and of course I press the remote a second time ,the doors lock/unlock/lock and the lights do not blink 3 times. When that happens I ALWAYS walk around the van and check to make sure all the doors are locked checking each door individually. Since on a few occasions, one of the doors did not lock. When that happens I open and close door in question , press remote again and it single locks and 3 blinking light. Monday night came home locked the truck it did the lock/unlock. pressed remote second time - lock/unlock/lock. I checked all the doors and they where all locked. When I got into the truck the following morning the sliding door was closed. I drove away from home, went a mile, hit a bump in road and it sounded like the sliding door popped, as if someone was opening it.. and the slider was ajar. I turned to look at it and I could see light coming in from the along side the window on the latch side of the door... Pulled over to re close the door , when I noticed **** was missing... ! I can see where they used a screwdriver or something of that nature on the latch side of the sliding door . FIRST QUESTION...................Are the latch mechanism's that simple to pop from the outside.?:thinking: SECOND QUESTION. IF on that night, when I locked it, I got the 3 blinking lights on the first attempt. What would of happened when the aholes popped open my sliding door somehow.? :thinking: Needless to say, starting Tuesday evening I empty van and refill in the morning.. And also on a side note. I own the truck and have a 100$ comp deductible and 500 collision, full tort. years with the same insurance company . I never knew that to have the contents covered its a separate add on. That would of been nice to know the past few years. So word of advice if you are reading this , check your policies because insurance companies suck !:shifty: :wtf:

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
FIRST QUESTION...................Are the latch mechanism's that simple to pop from the outside.?:thinking:
They shouldn't be (but i haven't attacked mine with a screwdriver, so i can't speak from experimental verification... exactly).

By "the latch side" i assume you mean the rear edge of the sliding door, which is where the true ""hold the door SHUT" latch and pin are located.

Like all other vehicle doors, the slider has a "double latch" to ensure that it won't pop open during a crash.

Every so often mine doesn't fully latch.... (due to too gentle a closing action).
When that happens, you cannot open or close the door by anything you're doing at the handle. The push-button at the top may be willing to go down (i forget).
The only way to re-open the door is to push firmly forward and in at the rear edge (i brace a piece of 2 by 4 along the edge and push the wood). Barely a millimeter or two, and the door completes its latch cycle, and then can be opened by the handle.
I do not know if pushing it in would pop up the lock button (i kind'a think not.. there's not enough travel of the door).

You can play with the rear door's latch to see this action... use the shaft of a decently-sized screwdriver as "the latch pin" and force it into the latch's slot as the latch pin would go during closing. Note that the latch first half-grabs it, then cycles further for the full latching.
Half-way through, you're not able to open the door with the door handle. Pulling on the screwdriver ("latch pin") doesn't free it, either. Only pushing the rest of the way gets the latch back into normal operation.
Now go try that on the sliding door latch... see if it would be possible to free the half-latched pin without first fully closing the door.
SECOND QUESTION. IF on that night, when I locked it, I got the 3 blinking lights on the first attempt. What would of happened when the aholes popped open my sliding door somehow.?
See if fully closing the door does pop up the door-lock button.
See how the blinking triangles on the lock switch handle a partially-shut door (this may require really getting the door into the not-entirely-sealed position).

...and then please report back...
---dick
p.s. the switches that inform the lock system that something's still ajar are buried inside the door lock/motor mechanisms.
The classic switches on the doors' frames are wired to the interior lights.. but also feed the security system.
I do not know if the in-lock switches tell the security system anything. (the only wire between the CTM and the security module seems to be the one for telling the doors to unlock due to a remote key signal)

Last edited:

Adam12

Your Assumption is correct. I am referring to the rear edge of the sliding door. ..and I know the door was locked.

That double latching is how I realized my van got broken into.. I hit a pothole and the door popped open from being completely closed to being at half latch, where you can slightly see space between the door...

On my van, when the sliding door is at half latch where it will not slide open and there is a space where you can see light between the rubber door seal.. and I am able to pull the door handle and it will open. I have also been able to use the palm of my hand , placing it on the left side of the slider where the latch is and by giving it a hard push, it has latched closed completely..

I ordered a new latch a couple days ago and it should be shipped by 3/28. So prior to me replacing the slider latch. I will try attacking the latch mechanism with a couple different screw drivers, 2 punches that I have that will fit in the gap and hit it with a hammer to see what the results are.. I will be post my results to see what happens.. If I can get it to pop open, I will be putting a ugly ass lock on the sliding door and probably also the rear doors. I never want to experience this nightmare again. I will do whatever it takes to restore my piece of mind and to not find my van broken into again.. I did replace that sliding latch a couple of months ago and when that failed, the plastic frame inside the latch was broken so the door would not even catch on the first latch. It would just bounce back open.. Since replacing I have not had a problem until the recent break in.. For now , I am spending almost 30 minutes per day, emptying at night and putting everything back in the morning to not find the rest of whats left to disappear.. thanks dick for your help..! I will let you know mid week what I find out with my attempts to break into my own van.. ! Sucks but needs to be done for my sanity..

Last edited:

Caskyle

Hey Adam...what do you mean about your Comp policy not covering the stuff inside your unit? We are new to the RV world...got our 2004 MB Cruiser last weekend and insured it yesterday with State Farm. Do we need addition coverage(s)?

Adam 12, check out Armaplates security door handle cover sets. The remaining sets I have for 07up sprinters come with a beautifully crafted thick stainless steel outer piece that wraps around the four handles on our vans, with a large inner steel plate that mounts against the inside of the door skin to protect the handle area from being punched through with a screwdriver.

I speak from experience when someone did the same to my slider door below the handle. Sets come in four for the four handles, along with the large inner steel plates. Easy to install, and though they may look decorative, that large inner steel plate is the key. You can order from the UK and pay shipping and import, or consider my offer at the original cost before shipping and import. $350. Thanks to all here.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Hey Adam...what do you mean about your Comp policy not covering the stuff inside your unit? We are new to the RV world...got our 2004 MB Cruiser last weekend and insured it yesterday with State Farm. Do we need addition coverage(s)?
The only way to answer that is to carefully read your policy... dig into what's covered and what's excluded. Take notes. Then call State Farm and *ask* until they've answered whatever you don't clearly understand. Ask about possible scenarios.

Adam probably had a work van, and some valuable tool was stolen.
Most comprehensive policies cover damage to your vehicle by causes other than collision. (fire, theft, vandalism). It might offer some piddly amount for "contents".

But they rarely cover much in terms of not-attached vehicle contents (and even then, they'll have a limitation excluding extra-expensive stereo systems, unless specifically cited in the original quote/policy).
After all, your typical policy is definitely not going to cover the million-dollar Van Gogh painting that you had in the back seat.
As an RV comprehensive, they probably will cover theft of your fridge, shower or toilet. The TV sets and satellite equipment might require separate listing and additional premium. Your jewelry would not be covered (again, unless specified).

Here is State Farm's webpage on automobile "comprehensive": https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/coverage-options/comprehensive-coverage

You may find that your homeowner's insurance is what would provide any current coverage of vehicle contents.

--dick (not an insurance agent ... just someone who, like Adam, discovered after-the-fact what a policy didn't cover)

Last edited:

tinman

Another thing I discovered some years ago on a van I had configured as a mobile showroom was co-insurance. I had, so I thought, purchased insurance for the contents. One of my employees had it loaded up for a road trip, parked in his driveway. It was broken into, considerable stuff stolen. Turns out I had a 50% co-insurance clause, so I got half of the loss less the deductable. He had turned off the alarm, because he said it had activated a couple of times in thunderstorms. The thieves, who were minors, were subsequently caught. They had no idea what to do with their booty, so they took it out of town and burned it.

Adam12

The only way to answer that is to carefully read your policy... dig into what's covered and what's excluded. Take notes. Then call State Farm and *ask* until they've answered whatever you don't clearly understand. Ask about possible scenarios.

Adam probably had a work van, and some valuable tool was stolen.
Most comprehensive policies cover damage to your vehicle by causes other than collision. (fire, theft, vandalism). It might offer some piddly amount for "contents".

But they rarely cover much in terms of not-attached vehicle contents (and even then, they'll have a limitation excluding extra-expensive stereo systems, unless specifically cited in the original quote/policy).
After all, your typical policy is definitely not going to cover the million-dollar Van Gogh painting that you had in the back seat.
As an RV comprehensive, they probably will cover theft of your fridge, shower or toilet. The TV sets and satellite equipment might require separate listing and additional premium. Your jewelry would not be covered (again, unless specified).

Here is State Farm's webpage on automobile "comprehensive": https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/coverage-options/comprehensive-coverage

You may find that your homeowner's insurance is what would provide any current coverage of vehicle contents.

--dick (not an insurance agent ... just someone who, like Adam, discovered after-the-fact what a policy didn't cover)
LESSON LEARNED> Check your individual Policy/ Policies... ! Vehicle insurance would not cover the contents. It is a work van. I also found out. That my ladder rack. A Prime - Dual sided hydraulic assisted , aluminum with stainless hardware and powder coated costing a couple bucks. Is also not covered. according to my policy , it is not part of my van.. Homeowners insurance would not cover it, unless it was parked inside a garage on the property.. Moral to the story. Check with your insurance provider and ask questions. RE ASK to make sure and it possible have them make a list of what is covered and what is not covered. In the world we live in now. Insurance companies will do anything not to pay out claims. I understand with all the fraud that is going on, they have to do this. But now the insurance companies are now becoming part of the problem with the fraud they commit by not paying claims, SAYING - OH YOUR NOT COVERED FOR THAT >! .. double edged sword. Yet every time I turn on the TV , I see the money they spend on sponsorship of events. Does that type of advertising even work. I pose a question . Has anyone in this forum ever turned on the TV and lets say they turn on a sporting event and see a sign or a commercial, for bla bla insurance and said to themselves. Hey I have to call them and switch to that insurance company... IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS. I WAS STUPID FOR NOT ASKING QUESTIONS . NEVER ASUME ANYTHING.. You can be sure , when my policy comes due I am switching companies. I will ask in writing along with a check list of questions that I will ask the new provider and even have him initial each question asked. From NOW ON. IN GOD I TRUST, EVERYONE ONE ELSE WILL ASK FOR VERIFICATION....!

Last edited:

Adam12

Adam 12, check out Armaplates security door handle cover sets. The remaining sets I have for 07up sprinters come with a beautifully crafted thick stainless steel outer piece that wraps around the four handles on our vans, with a large inner steel plate that mounts against the inside of the door skin to protect the handle area from being punched through with a screwdriver.

I speak from experience when someone did the same to my slider door below the handle. Sets come in four for the four handles, along with the large inner steel plates. Easy to install, and though they may look decorative, that large inner steel plate is the key. You can order from the UK and pay shipping and import, or consider my offer at the original cost before shipping and import. $350. Thanks to all here.
For now , I have been taking important contents out and putting inside and replacing in the morning. Taking up and extra 20 to 30 minutes out of my day. I will also be installing wireless transmitters to my van, which for now is my least expensive affordable current add on only costing about 100.00 and integrating them to my existing home security system which will be programing as " day zones " which will just make alarm keypads continuously emit a sounder , until I manually reset them. Or I can also program as part of the security system when not home and van in in front of house and get notified by monitoring service. Then put up 4MP digital surveillance camera's , and even a couple covert camera's , once I recover from the 4000.00 loss..!
:censored:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
LESSON LEARNED> Check your individual Policy/ Policies... ! Vehicle insurance would not cover the contents. It is a work van. I also found out. That my ladder rack. A Prime - Dual sided hydraulic assisted , aluminum with stainless hardware and powder coated costing a couple bucks. Is also not covered. according to my policy , it is not part of my van..
You can be sure , when my policy comes due I am switching companies. I will ask in writing along with a check list of questions that I will ask the new provider and even have him initial each question asked. From NOW ON. IN GOD I TRUST, EVERYONE ONE ELSE WILL ASK FOR VERIFICATION....!
Well, unless you seek and buy a specifically-for-business policy, you still may not be covered.
(unless you can find a company that will sell you riders on your existing policies that cover those extra goodies).

Folks who don't read their policies may not have noticed that many (most? all?) automotive policies now specifically exclude anything that happens if you happen to be an Uber/Lyft/etc driver when the incident happens. (they just lump it as "engaged in commercial activity"). Likewise homeowners policies are starting to mention AirBnB-like situations.

--dick (whose wife's small in-home and craft show business carries a separate policy from a separate company (RLI)... our normal carriers did not offer anything applicable)

Caskyle,

You have an RV, not a car. When I last checked, State Farm did not insure RV's and if something ever happened, you almost 100K RV would be treated like a 40K cargo van as that's all it's insured as.
You need to get an RV insurance policy that covers the van, everything mounted on the outside and inside build and contents are included also. If you're full-timing in your RV, that's also a different ballgame and you'd need to look for full-timer RV insurance.
Look at Progressive, Geico, Good Sam and other companies that actually insure your RV as an RV, not as a car.

Top Bottom