A/C inverter

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I'm going to be installing a second battery and a 700w inverter. My thought was to put both items under the passenger seat and run an AC line down the left of the Sprinter for a couple of plug ins.
But when I look at pictures of vans and conversions, many have the inverter exposed and on the right side back.
Are there alternate locations? Why are they better?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I have my battery and inverter underneath the passenger seat.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34

I'm only running one output to the right side ash tray.

I have more 12V outlets (left side of van) than 120V.

Most inverters that I've seen are not sealed from the environment, especially when it's fan driven. It would make no sense, to me, to install an inverter exposed to the elements.

Nate

I installed mine right behind the pasenger seat. The reason being that I have 2 batteries under the passenger seat so there was no more room.

I agree with Seek on protecting it so I plan to build a small box to go over it and then have filters on either end for keeping the dust from being sucked through it.

So far I have one 120 outlet on the right side of the van and one on the left.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I meant on the inside. I see pictures of the inverter sitting right inside the right back door. Just wondered if there was a reason to find so many there. I'll post on the project later.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I would imagine there are 2 considerations for installing the inverter "freestanding"

1) It will have more cooling airflow
2) It's just easier to do

I'm with seek and won't be using the full rated output of my inverter and wanted a clean install that protects the inverter.

There is plenty of room under the seat see Seek's install
Or you can fit 2 smaller batteries and the inverter in the seat base like I did...

Cheers
George

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Thanks for the info. Do you tie your aux battery to the main battery via heavy cable or just a 10gauge or so for charging?

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
4GA to the main

you might expect fairly high charging currents with empty batteries...

Under most circumstances 80A will do, but I have blown those fuses when my main battery was completely discharged and I tried to start with the aux

Cheers
George

Top Bottom