Suspected drive shaft u-joint noise. Thoughts?

wubalubbadubdub

Seattle, WA. 2006 T1N
Hey all,

I've noticed this squeaking/squealing noise getting louder and more frequent over the last year. I think it's probably dry u-joint bearings but I'd like you all to weigh in before I get in to it.

-It is loudest when rolling, off the throttle
-It only happens when rolling. As soon as wheel speed is zero, it stops. It seems tied to wheel speed.
-It's quieter under acceleration, but it's there.
-It comes and goes. It seems to usually go away when the van's been warm awhile.
-I don't see anything externally physically wrong with the u-joints (quick visual inspection.)

https://youtu.be/rXuQ8gYDEyk

Thanks!
Nick

wubalubbadubdub

Seattle, WA. 2006 T1N
I'll check for heat on the drive home. But I haven't noticed any wheel bearing symptoms so far: The noise doesn't seem affected by going around turns or by going over bumps. It seems very drive-line-dependent. Especially because it gets suddenly much louder when the drive-line loads up backwards (while coasting.) Thanks!

wubalubbadubdub

Seattle, WA. 2006 T1N
I got under there and jacked the rear end up off the ground last night. I found no visible play in the joints, no noise when the driveshaft was manually spun around, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The diff sounded and felt very normal. I didn't hear the noise when idling with no load (on jack stands.).
I didn't notice any heat in the hubs after a 15-minute freeway drive. I felt for looseness too, nothing loose. I don't think it's wheel bearings.

Some background: the transmission was replaced by the previous owner about 10k miles ago. It should be fresh and good to go.
The shop I had inspect the van before I bought it (~5k miles ago) said the level and condition of both the diff gear oil and trans fluid was good.
The driveshaft does look original--it has the same patina and appearance as the 248k-mile body. It seems logical that it's time to replace it.

It really does seem like dry bearings that squeal under load. I got a quote for $1042 shippped for a full replacement serviceable driveshaft (3-piece) from Driveline Service of Portland, Inc. that doesn't seem off-base. I can bolt it on myself so that seems like a good way to go.

I'd soak them all in light oil, but I'd hate to wash the functioning grease out. I may do so anyways just to try and verify.

slowgsr

Usually when they get bad the squeak at low speeds, and they look rusted, if you turn the shaft with the rear up and all is quiet I doubt. I've noticed as well under accel from a stop I would get vibration, its worse while towing.

If I suspec ujoints, or unsure while troubleshooting ill drop the shaft and check for tight joints.

wubalubbadubdub

Seattle, WA. 2006 T1N
Thanks. I'll look again but I think the rear U-joint had some reddish (rust?) dust on it. That may be the spot.
It does sure squeak at low speeds. And it seems to be at a frequency that's a few times faster than wheel speed. All signs point to driveline rotation causing the squeak.
I think I'm going to go for it.
I told myself: buy an old van, replace the worn out stuff DIY, it'll be fun and inexpensive:laughing:

slowgsr

When ujoints wear and lose their grease the needle bearings typically rust, seize, and turn to rust coloured dust, then they get very stiff, notchy and squeak. I suppose if one kept driving after this they would develop excess play eventually and at some point destroy themselves and the ends of the driveshafts by egg shaping where the ujoint caps go.

Are the sprinter shafts non serviceable?

wubalubbadubdub

Seattle, WA. 2006 T1N
Yeah, the OEM sprinter driveshafts are staked together and non-serviceable. As soon as a U-joint goes bad you are supposed to replace the whole driveline.
I figure at ~250k, mine has probably had a good long run regardless.

wubalubbadubdub

Seattle, WA. 2006 T1N
Follow-up:
Yes, it was the u-joints. Nothing looked or felt wrong with the driveshaft in place, but as soon as I took it off the van and articulated the joints by hand, I could tell they were dry and chunky.

I replaced it with a heavy-duty driveline from Driveline Service of Portland, Inc, and all's well. No more squealing.

Shortiez

Two High Roof 118s
Thanks for the post Wubalubbadubdub.

I've got the same issue. It's the front u-joint. On road trip now, probably about 1500 miles until I can fix it myself by replacing the u-joint. (Not so hard, even though MBZ says you have to change the driveshaft.) Or I could hire a shop to do it sooner at a significantly higher inconvenience and cost. Was there any damage from running around with a bad u-joint for a while? Damaged rear transmission bearing or seal? Damaged drive shaft, etc?

Shortiez

Two High Roof 118s
Again, thanks very much. I might just leave it for a while then. It doesn't make much noise while cruising.

Lgallez

I have a clunk when putting it into reverse/drive on a hill. And some vibration at low speeds where the transmission is about to downshift. Is this the drive line needing replaced?

GaryJ

Here since 2006
I have a clunk when putting it into reverse/drive on a hill. And some vibration at low speeds where the transmission is about to downshift. Is this the drive line needing replaced?
In another thread on T1N driveline noises the poster mentioned the same “clunk” sound you’re experiencing. He said the sliding yoke/spline needed to be lubricated.

Top Bottom