2013 Unity TB - Compartment door rubber hinge failing

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
It is ridiculous how hard it is to replace the hinges. I think the only other thing that you can try is put it on the door first then bend the channel more open on the coach so you can easily slide the rubber into it and then go back with a hammer and 1×2 and compress the channel back in on the new hinge rubber.

I was pushing my door on, but it took two of us. I pushed while my helper bounced the leading edge up and down. This was the only way we inched it back into place. My hinge bunched up at the end so I had to trim it off, which left a gap at the other end that I had to fill. I thought 2 doors replaced in 2 days was bad. I certainly admire your patience and fortitude. The next one I have to replace is the one you are doing, so I just might have to sell when that has to be done. My only other option is to go visit Canadian Traveller who claims he can change out the rubber hinge in 30 minutes. He's invited me so I just may accept his kind offer.

Last edited:

Canadian Traveller

Unity 2015.5 TB
It is ridiculous how hard it is to replace the hinges. I think the only other thing that you can try is put it on the door first then bend the channel more open on the coach so you can easily slide the rubber into it and then go back with a hammer and 1×2 and compress the channel back in on the new hinge rubber.

I was pushing my door on, but it took two of us. I pushed while my helper bounced the leading edge up and down. This was the only way we inched it back into place. My hinge bunched up at the end so I had to trim it off, which left a gap at the other end that I had to fill. I thought 2 doors replaced in 2 days was bad. I certainly admire your patience and fortitude. The next one I have to replace is the one you are doing, so I just might have to sell when that has to be done. My only other option is to go visit Canadian Traveller who claims he can change out the rubber hinge in 30 minutes. He's invited me so I just may accept his kind offer.
Just call before , you are welcome to visit me anytime I am home.
We can change your hinge then , no problem. Peoples that change them, either at the factory
or at a dealer are ordinary peoples , not Super Hero

Jack

kmay

2013 Unity MB
As I contemplated all the struggles to replace the rubber hinge, I decided to punt on this project and try something else. I don't like to work hard on something that will last for less than two years or so and the primary function is decorative. It reminded me of curb painting in the Army.

I had used gorilla tape as a temporary fix. Once the adhesive got hot, the tape would not fully support the door once unlatched. Further, as someone pointed out, some tape adhesive would stick to the coach which reduces adhesion for the next attempt. It was suggested to use foil tape as the first layer and then cover that with gorilla tape. I decided to combine the tape method and install some short pieces of hinge strip to help hold the door. I had several feet of hinge left over from previous attempts. I cut this into two inch strips and threaded onto the coach and door. Even this little bit was hard to accomplish, took hours of cleaning the groves, pushing and shoving. With a strip of hinge at each end and center, the strips would take some of the weight and the tape would cover the gap.

If this fails, I am considering splitting automotive heater hose and installing into the groves. Another RV owner used this material to repair his door hinge on a fifth wheel. He asserted a one and done repair. Given the layers of fiber and heat resistant rubber, this material would be stronger and tolerate bending far longer that the original hinge. However, the stuff may be too stiff to bend 90 degrees across the full width of a baggage door.

Several problems to resolve to make this work. I guess pop rivets could suffice to hold the rubber in place. Find the right diameter and length for the fastener. Room to drill holes on the coach side of the aluminum hinge rail? I will need to make something so I can cut the hose straight. Find the best hose wall thickness. Figure how to install the fasteners on the door hinge while holding the door in position. What do you think? any ideas for a one and done repair?

PFerland

I just changed the hinge on the compartment just behind the passenger door (see my post #19 in this thread). I used a Dremel with cutting blade to cut about an inch out of the track on the coach. Then I was able to pull the old hinge out and slide the new hinge in. Not easy but it would have cost me an hour's labour at the RV service department.
I wonder how you were able to slide the door back on?

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
An ounce of prevention equals 5 years without hinge failure but I'd be fooling myself to think the rubber will out last me. I just found this 3-in-one product which I know nothing about. But I like the application control of the straw.

rubber protectant.JPG

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
I wonder how you were able to slide the door back on?
Sorry, I can't remember if I put the hinge in the door first or if I put it in the coach first. I don't recall using anything but soap and water for lubricant. The most difficult part for me was cutting the track on the coach because it so low to the ground. The part of the track that I cut out is not visible when the new hinge material is installed.

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
I did a bit of looking around to see what might be in the 3-in-1 Rubber Conditioner; (which is a WD40 company) the data in SDS sheets show a difference in the % of LVP for the different RVcare line of products - so I suspect there is a lot of marketing on that label so I will still be using anything that says Silicone on the can like i have for the last 30 yrs.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Thanks cbaarch,
I may have wasted my money on this impulse purchase. The reviews are all over the scale on Amazon. I still have 303 but find it hard to apply it on door hinges.

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
@TwoClinks
probably not money wasted as the Rubber Conditioner has the most LVP by %. So likely there is a reason it has more but, being proprietary they do the marketing instead of the science.
I looked to see what is in the Silicone but not much luck - they are all petroleum products.
My unscientific theory is that they keep the rubbery/plasticky stuff from drying up. ?

Th3307

Just finished replacing the hinges on a 2017 Unity MB passenger side…having a double shot now:). The 2 rear doors were fairly straight forward since the doors could be threaded on with little angle. The front large door was a nightmare due to the binding caused by the rear fender when attempting to thread the door on. Too much binding which causes lots of friction. Yes. The sample slipped in with ease when I dry fitted it. Finally, had to take the top of the rubber out of the groove to the half way point, rear portion. spread the top aluminum groove enough to reinstall the top rubber after the bottom is completely threaded along with the front portion. Then, get the top placed into the groove and with a small wood block, bend the aluminum groove channel back into the correct position from the bottom side. Be careful in bending the aluminum groove open and dry fit prior to threading the door to make sure it slips in fairly easily. The whole process took about 30 minutes after many other failed attempts with the traditional process.

Th3307

Hope this helps someone. I could probably do it in 30 to 45 minutes on the front door now with this process. PM me and I would be happy to discuss in more detail

imstilllarry

These have been on for more than a year now and work PERFECT. Never have to worry about the rubber hinge ever. Also nice to have the doors open completely against the coach so I don’t have to get on my knees. I plan to keep this coach for a long long time and want bullet proof solutions.IMG_6423.jpegIMG_6422.jpegIMG_6421.jpeg

Top Bottom