Portable/non-plumbed RV toilet styles

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
Hi all,

I am currently planning the camper layout for my T1N 158" WB. My lady and I are planning to live in the van for 6 months in 2018. I am trying to figure out what to do for an on-board toilet.

We will be splitting our time between remote free camping, visiting friends (parked on their street/driveway) and extended stays in national/state park lands.

We have already decided that we are not going to include any sort of shower or enclosed bathroom in the van. I am hoping to keep the water system rather simple, to include a fresh water tank, small 12V pump for the kitchen sink, and a gray tank for the wash/cook water.

My hope is that 90% or more of the time, we can be somewhere for our toilet needs and use a fixed facility. Neither one of us minds peeing in the woods either. But over the course of months, there will surely be times when an on-board toilet is the only sensible option.

So I am trying to figure out what kind of toilet I can get away with that is least intrusive and less expensive, to be used as a backup/non-primary facility.

I am thinking about something like this perhaps: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-5-gallon-tan-toilet/61613
The site doesn't give much/any details about its construction but the general layout looks about what I am thinking.

I like the idea of having something that can be stowed away in a floor-level cabinet out of sight, and pulled out only when needed. Must be able to close and seal in odors. The one I linked looks like it has a removable lower tank so we can just manually dump it somewhere (where?) when needed. Plus it looks stout enough to just be an extra seat/footrest if we want it.

Does anyone have an experience with something like this, or words of warning? I like the simplicity of it all being contained in one cube, without the need to fabricate a black tank, but maybe manually dumping a box of poo just isn't so very wonderful either.

Thanks,
Dan

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
We use a Dometic 972 that is like your link but it has available clips that allow it to be attached to the floor. A slide latch allows it to be removed from the attachment clips. Easy to remove the bottom half and dump it in any regular toilet.

Instead of pulling toilet out for use, I have a pivoting shelf above the portapotti that is lifted and leaned against the back of the shower wall to access the portapotti without moving the portpotti..

Primarily used by my wife for #1. I use a Quik chocolate plastic container for #1. Look in the fertilizer section of a hardware tore for other appropriate wide mouth containers. A small amount of bleach in the container controls the odors. Your local marine supply store has "attachments" for women to be able to use a jar for # 1.

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
We use a Dometic 972 that is like your link but it has available clips that allow it to be attached to the floor. A slide latch allows it to be removed from the attachment clips. Easy to remove the bottom half and dump it in any regular toilet.

Instead of pulling toilet out for use, I have a pivoting shelf above the portapotti that is lifted and leaned against the back of the shower wall to access the portapotti without moving the portpotti..

Primarily used by my wife for #1. I use a Quik chocolate plastic container for #1. Look in the fertilizer section of a hardware tore for other appropriate wide mouth containers. A small amount of bleach in the container controls the odors. Your local marine supply store has "attachments" for women to be able to use a jar for # 1.
Thanks for the idea, Dave. You can remove the bottom half without taking down/knocking over the top half? So there is some kind of scaffolding or whatnot that keeps the upper half in place?

Is it a manual pump and manual flush? So you just need to connect 1 water supply line and no power, right?

When full, you just carry the container into a public restroom, and open the drain? No problems with clogging during discharge?

PaulDavis

We use a Thetford Curve. It is great. Battery-powered flush. We're living in our van for 9 months. As you plan, most of our toilet use is out of the van, but overnight and in unplanned conditions, we love having the Curve around. It is easy and entirely un-gross to dump, easy to refill the flush tank, compact and just generally great. Because we don't generally use it for solid waste (aka "#2"), we can typically go a week or more without it filling up.

We have the Curve floor plate, which lets us lock it to the floor, and very easily unlock it for placement where it can be used.

cahaak

For the cost and convenience, it seems hard to beat the Thetford curve. The only issue I have seen is that the electric pump can go out, but it can be manually flushed with water.

Chris

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I have a similar use-case and have decided to go with the Air Head toilet. These "composting" toilets seem to be increasing in popularity in the sailing community as a standalone solution that eliminates the need for plumbing and consumes no water. The composting label is a bit of a joke (it's still human waste), but they do seem to work well if you set expectations correctly.

Some install photos here:
https://exploratorius.us/2012/02/04/air-head-composting-toilet-is-installed-and-works-great/

The advantages of this type of liquids/solids separating system appear to be numerous.

- The service interval for solids is much longer than most other waste systems (reports vary between 2-6 weeks for frequent use, or as long as a whole season for infrequent use, while the liquids tank should be emptied every few days- this can be done anywhere with a public toilet). Solids are emptied by removing the toilet, inverting it into a trash bag, then winging the trash bag into a dumpster. This is legal (remember, diapers go to landfills).

- No need to ever wait in line at an RV dump station or carry nasty hoses, install a black tank or macerator or bring a special pair of shoes to wear while doing the dump station dance.

- No water is used for flushing which reduces your need to carry (and then dispose of) additional water.

The disadvantages seem to be:

- Cost ($1000 for a bucket with a crank?)

- Size (this unit is as large as a tank-less porcelain toilet, which is a lot of space in a Class B van- and the seat is fairly high)

- Upkeep. After emptying, you need to keep a supply of coco coir, peat, or sawdust on hand to refill the solids area. Some users have reported fly or gnat problems. Putting a screen over the vent and keeping the lid closed is reported to prevent this.

- Up-close and personal. Let's face it, this is a bucket with a trap door, a crank, and a fan. Eventually, you're going to have to empty the bucket. From all reports I've seen, the solids dry out and just smell like dirt after 8-24 hours. But if there's been a recent deposit, you'll know. :turd:

- Awkwardness. Emptying the liquids bottle in a busy restroom might draw the attention of the other guests (and/or gag reflex). Perhaps a diaper bag or something discreet to conceal it would be helpful.

- Sit down use only. Technically you could stand but extra liquids making it into the solids area results in extra smell.

There are several competitors to the Air Head... notably Nature's Head, C Head and Separett. I haven't done a thorough comparison but did switch my plans from the Nature's Head to the Air Head after finding out that with the Nature's Head you need to open the solids compartment to remove/empty the liquids bottle (which is also see-thru?! on the Nature's Head). There are several other design improvements that Air Head seemed to have over Nature's Head- you can find them if you search around.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Thetford Curve. :thumbup:

7 years now, full-timer... second set of batteries.

Sitting on it now, as we type. :shhh: :smilewink:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Thanks for the idea, Dave. You can remove the bottom half without taking down/knocking over the top half? So there is some kind of scaffolding or whatnot that keeps the upper half in place?

Is it a manual pump and manual flush? So you just need to connect 1 water supply line and no power, right?

When full, you just carry the container into a public restroom, and open the drain? No problems with clogging during discharge?
The top half that contains the flush water and it separates from the bottom half. Leave the top half in the van on the floor and carry the bottom half to the restroom for dumping. It had a drain tube.

The portapotti has a manual pump to pressurize the flush water tank. You just press a button to flush after tank is pressurized.

No power. The upper water tank has a cap that you remove to fill the tank. No plumbing.

Someone else will need to answer the clogging question. Have not used it for #2 enough to answer that question.

Go to a West Marine store (or similar) and look at the portapotti.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
We used to use Porta Patty back during the times with our VW Westfalias, one key factor which swayed me towards cassette toilette is permanency of the top, no need to separate, just remove the cassette from the permanently installed system, having wheels helps to move the heavy, over 40 lbs., cassette to the public restroom. Cassette allows permanent installation of the vent system, vent is open automatically with inserted cassette.

I also see many benefits of Porta Potties, lack of permanent plumbing, hiding unless needed are good advantages.

George.

PaulDavis

For the cost and convenience, it seems hard to beat the Thetford curve. The only issue I have seen is that the electric pump can go out, but it can be manually flushed with water.

Chris
we had 2 pumps die on so far, after not very long. Thetford replaced them both under warrranty. The latest unit has been good for 2 years now.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
we had 2 pumps die on so far, after not very long. Thetford replaced them both under warrranty. The latest unit has been good for 2 years now.
Must be karmic...

7 x 365 x 2 = over 5000 flushes for me on original pump.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
We use a "SaniPotty", which is equivalent to a PortaPottie and similar to your original CampingWorld example (CWE)... except:
Ours is only a 2.5 gallon unit, so it's shorter.. (we also rent similar beasties when we rent campers out-of-state/country).

We have managed (over multiple 5-week trips) to keep usage to #1 (and it serves as the dishwashing dump).
Our usual dump-interval is 3 days. (by choice, not necessity)

We do not use the built-in flushing system (that concertina "button" on the upper left corner of the CWE).
That makes the unit much much lighter to carry for dumping. I take the whole thing rather than separate the halves.
For flushing water we keep two "recycled" 500ml drinking water bottles around (with labels removed and T marked on the caps).
That's way more than enough for overnight for two people. You do your business, then sluice the flushing water around the bowl as needed, with an extra bit of care to flush the toilet paper fully down through the gate that seals the lower canister.
Canisters like that are easy to dump into any flushing toilet... we do use special RV toilet paper to remove any chance of clogging the target toilet. The "secret" for dumping is to flush the recipient toilet, and pour the canisters content into the actively swirling bowl so that your contribution goes "with the swirl". No splash, no fuss.

On one of our rental trips bad food did cause "testing the system" with #2 ... but we were in England, and their campgrounds have excellent facilities for dumping canisters... big (3 foot wide) rectangular stainless steel "funnels" (and nearby hoses). No problem.

I'm not quickly finding a photo of the beast in situ... it rides directly behind the driver's seat, bungee-corded to our seat anchors during driving.
We have a microwave oven on a shelf above it, and just pull the toilet out a bit at night. During the day it serves as a short table.
Originally purchased at West Marine in early 2006, it has the clips for attachment to a floor/deck, but we never used them.

--dick

Last edited:

HarryN

If you really think that it will be for occasional use and want to keep things "very simple", there is a less sophisticated approach.

I could not find a brand or name on it, but we have a black plastic "toilet seat + cover" combo that snaps onto a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket - the kind you buy at OSH or HD. It was definitely under $20 and purchased at at one of the sporting good stores.

A kitchen garbage can liner and cat litter / oil dry seem to work to keep it contained (to reduce spilling risk) until it can be trashed.

I am not sure if it was this brand, but this link looks pretty similar:

https://www.amazon.com/EDOG-Camping...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01FZTSDMM

danpaul000

A man, a van, no plan
If you really think that it will be for occasional use and want to keep things "very simple", there is a less sophisticated approach.

I could not find a brand or name on it, but we have a black plastic "toilet seat + cover" combo that snaps onto a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket - the kind you buy at OSH or HD. It was definitely under $20 and purchased at at one of the sporting good stores.

A kitchen garbage can liner and cat litter / oil dry seem to work to keep it contained (to reduce spilling risk) until it can be trashed.

I am not sure if it was this brand, but this link looks pretty similar:

https://www.amazon.com/EDOG-Camping...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01FZTSDMM
Definitely a simpler option! I am leaning toward the Thetford Curve based on my people's positive feedback here. I don't know exactly how infrequent our use of the toilet will be so I would rather it's a step above a bag-lined bucket.

We're going to take the Sprinter for a couple months into the northern Rockies in Canada & Alaska, so crazy weather and lack of facilities for 100+ miles are definitely in the mix, so need to be able to use the toilet for #2 for 2 people for at least a couple days at a stretch without stinking out the van. :)

\d

PaulDavis

Verging on the TMI boundary: the trick for handling #2 well with the Curve is to prefill the bowl with plenty of water, flush immediately after the deposit is made, then continue on to use TP and flush again. In our experience this minimizes the need for any extra cleanup.

We use Thetford's own "eco" green liquid for handling odor control and promoting paper breakdown, and it works great for us. We're still on the first bottle (probably about 1 or 1.5L) after 3 years. This trip is 9 months and we have the entire remaining bottle with us - I don't believe we will run out.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Haven't seen any comments on the composting option, but I left out a major plus which is simplicity- there's not much to break. No batteries or circuit boards. No pressure seal (several reviewers note that the Curve can pressurize due to bacteria breaking down the waste and hit you with a bit of a spray if you open it too quickly :eek:).

On the Air Head, a small muffin fan runs continuously to pull air out the permanent vent which helps to dry out the solids and remove odors. This type of toilet seems to be more popular in permanent structures (including those occupied full-time) such as tiny houses, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work great in a van as well.

A side note- if you haven't had the experience of using a well-designed outhouse, the kind where you add cedar chips to your waste to "flush".. there can be almost no smell. I've yet to have that experience in a plastic sani-can full of oddly-colored chemicals. Not drawing a direct comparison to the composting option, exactly.. but I'm inclined to think that the best way to reduce smell is by removing water from waste, rather than adding water.

Last edited:

PaulDavis

Let's be clear. Almost nobody "composts" their toilet waste in a mobile living space. They don't keep the waste around for long enough, nor do they provide the right environment. "Composting" toilets in RVs, vans and boats are really just "no chemicals until you dump it out". That might be related to composting if you could dump the toilet into a location where it would compost, but that's extremely hard to find (technically illegal in many parts of the USA, for example).

So, one way or another, you're really just holding the urine and the feces someplace until you dump it. You might add sawdust to help keep odors down and use a powered or passive vent. Or you might hold it in the bottom of a Thetford Curve, along with some preferably formaldehyde-free sanitizing liquid. One way or another, you're most likely to dump the whole thing into the normal sewage stream, and start over, probably after not that long.

BTW, we've never had our Curve pressurize due to bacterial breakdown, but relatively subtle temperature and/or air pressure changes can cause the spray effect you mention.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
No argument there. It's a vessel into which waste floweth.

I agree that calling it composting is a bit of a misnomer, but we have to call it something and that's the unfortunate name that stuck. Kind of like how the people of first nations in the US are referred to as "indians". :idunno:

A better term would be liquid separating, or some such. I do think that is a key feature that distinguishes it from other types.

Top Bottom