Removing NCV3 Factory Rear Air Conditioner?

Ok - This spring I'm moving into phase 2 of my 2014 144 high roof sprinter passenger van conversion - and as everyone likely knows - the factory rear air conditioner takes up a huge amount of roof real estate on a 144.

We hardly ever use the rear AC - and I can't get everything I need on to the roof (cargo basket, solar panels, vent fan) with that big silver plastic cowling up there. And I'm getting used to the idea that I will never take this van back to being a passenger van - so...

Does anyone have experience with taking this out? What's the factory hole like? Any intel out there?

Thanks,

Clyde

hein

Van Guru
It's a big rectangular hole. I've seen a number of people use some sheet metal sealed and riveted in place. Totally doable.

ColtHenrie

I got a new 144" 4x4 Sprinter with Factory Rear Conditioner because it allowed me to get it months earlier. How would it affect any warranties if I removed the unit? Thanks!

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
Does the front ac work after doing this?
Yes, on my 2013 NCV3 the front and rear AC systems are separate. One ought to have the refrigerant gas drained by a professional so that it doesn't just get into the atmosphere. When you do that if the technician makes a mistake he/she might drain some of the front AC gas and you'll find that the front AC is not as cold anymore... And the fix is obviously to add the proper amount of gas to the front AC system again.

After removing the rear AC, you'll have some error codes in the ECU that can be safely ignored. I never removed the compressor as the excellent link above suggests, and simply removed the electric fuse that my manual had indicated is for the rear AC. Make sure to cap the hoses which send refrigerant or coolant to the rear AC. Also have a crowbar handy with lots of patience for removing the industrial adhesive / rubber seal.

Oh God, now that I remember how much elbow grease it took, I'd say leave the rear AC alone if you can work around it. ? ;)

suburbatron

I found a place in Hillsboro, OR that removed the A/C unit and put a metal plate on for $425. It doesn't look factory or anything but he said it is water tight. The hoses in the pillars behind front cabin are still there. Do I just have to cap those off?

Marksch

We bought our 2010 passenger van used from a dealer, and had them drain the rooftop AC unit prior to purchase. We then followed the instructions from padams to remove and seal up the roof. definitely watertight, and for us, now mostly covered by solar panels. Yes, the front AC works. We find that with the whole van insulated, that it cools off just fine with the front AC only.

Hollahnic

I found a place in Hillsboro, OR that removed the A/C unit and put a metal plate on for $425. It doesn't look factory or anything but he said it is water tight. The hoses in the pillars behind front cabin are still there. Do I just have to cap those off?
What’s the name of the spot in Hillsboro?

Wildabeast

Hi can you advise the name of the place in Hillsboro that did yours?

hein

Van Guru
FYI we have also developed an OEM AC delete plate for the VS30 Sprinter. Installed the first one today. Still needs to be painted but fits great.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

Top Bottom