Status
Not open for further replies.

Some recent info about Code P040D

Thread is here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=80474

Form Sprintguy Carl single post:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=80474&postcount=8
Text:
Generic OBD II code p040D = P040D-EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH

Gary : have all 4 exhaust gas temp sensors cleaned , most likely built up with soot

Carl

Some info from Doktor A about codes
P1400
P0203
P412
P0412
P1802
P7312
P1921
P00DF
A2-000 or 00A2

Single post is here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=80325&postcount=150
Text:
I recall you have an '03 Sprinter so I'm particularly pleased you brought this up.

The '03 ECM's are unique in regards to a short list of unusual ECM codes. These are registered in the '03 ECMs and are some form of supplier(vendor) codes which are ignored by the DRBIII.

These codes do not erase and can be ignored by the '03 owners, once identified as such.

These typically include:
00DF
A2-000 or 00A2

Doktor A

I wonder how many techs are saying to themselves, "So that's what those are!" Hope this does some good. AP/vic

Last edited:

Duplication on P2123 or 2123

Until many of these codes come up as questions the inconsistencies/duplicates are difficult to identify by simply reading through the lists.

From this thread list Post #2:

P2123 Injector Circuit Fault_
P2123 Injector Circuit Low Side Shorted To Ground_
P2123 Injector Circuit Shorted To Ground Or Voltage_

From this thread list Post #11:

P2123 Pedal Pos Sensor1 Hi

Description/discussion for 2123 1010 1470 DAD code by Doktor A:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=80745&postcount=162

Text:
That 2123 ECM code is the same one you and I have seen with the DRBIII. Does the frequency match your engine shut-off episodes?

Did you log and erase the IC codes?

The 1010 IC fault code is found on almost every Sprinter. It is a low battery voltage code triggered by an overly sensitive threshold in the vehicle module.

The 1470 is another very common IC fault code -fuel level sensor short to grd. There is no problem with the fuel level sender-this is likely logged with V issues as well.

I'll investigate the other 2 IC fault codes. My extensive DRBIII logs are not helpful in interpreting DAD IC codes. The DRBIII reports the IC fault code descriptions only. It does not show IC code numbers. Doktor A

Edit: For the previous post #22:

I added the "P" in front of the list Doktor A provided as shown here:
Some info from Doktor A about codes
P1400
P0203
P412
P0412
P1802
P7312
P1921
P00DF
A2-000 or 00A2

That may be a mistake on my part as the more I read I'm learning maybe not all DAD codes get written with a prefix letter when Andy explains them. DAD codes are apparently different animals.

Hope this does some good. AP/vic

Last edited:

P2030 = Air Pressure Sensor (filter box)

Per Dennis/Lindenengineering. :thumbup::thumbup:

It was not included as that in the lists that I found.

For info
On a TIN code P2030 refers to the air pressure sensor located on top of the air filter cover.
It monitors air pressure inside the housing.

1) Check that the harness plug is connected properly???? --often they are found false connected.
2) Check that the cover is properly fitted and that it isn't cracked/mounting boss broken.
3) If you have been using an aftermarket air filter it might have got sucked up by dirt plugging, or it just collapsed into a pent roof configuration. Use a genuine filter to remedy that!
4) Check that it is properly secured, that the cover isn't cracked, or in fact that the air filter carcass isn't broken
5) With Snappy connected go to instrument menu and check the outside air temp sensor aginst what you see on the speedo mounted info panel display. Often defective due to road salt contamination it is found behind the front bumper. Can cause turbo /air intake issues.

Fix and/or correct that little lot and you will probably find it will "auto fix" the O2 sensor reading once you havbe cleared the codes.
Dennis
As an erratum
You might of course need a new [air pressure] sensor pt # A 005 153 50 28 (if all that little lot I have mentioned is good)
Dennis

Click on the blue arrow in the quote box to go to the thread. vic

Last edited:

Wheel Speed Sensor Problem

I recently changed my rear axle bearing and seal on my 2004.

Some comments about that are here:
2004 T1N Rear Axle Bearing and Seal DIY Change
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28817

The wheel speed sensor is supposed to be removed from the holder. After too many New York State winters my sensor was siezed solid. I tried many things to get it to break free before giving up and cutting the signal cable. One thing that I tried was wedging a screwdriver between the sensor and tone ring for leverage. I didn't realize at the time that I was distorting the tone ring and causing it to have areas which were farther away from the sensor. Cutting the wire may be my go to move rather than trying to remove a good sensor for future work.

After changing the bearing/seal and test driving the dash lit up with ASR, ESP, and ABS lights. I figured I had damaged the sensor. Upon further investigation I found the tone ring problem. I was able to form the tone ring back to a fairly consistent 15 thousandths spacing. After reseting the computers all operation returned to normal.

This experience helped to give me an idea of how codes can be helpful, but also misleading. I know for a fact that the tone ring spacing was the problem. When I went in to check for codes with my DAD I found many DTC's Diagnostic Trouble Codes in various modules.Some I couldn't find in the Ord book.

The Raw Data
ABS/ASR Module

ERROR

ABS/ASR

ASR
117 500 00 00

abs2_feh.dxt

Diagnosis Recogn
4/1
mesp2.dxt

ERRORS
C1154
C163E
C1477 Left rear whl speed

Actual Errors
C1154
C163E

The ABS/ASR module knew that there was a left rear wheel problem. The above codes didn't show in the Ord book that I could find.

ESM (Shifter SLA) Module

P1861 left rear wheel rpm signal via CAN implausible
P1860 Right rear wheel rpm signal via CAN implausible
P1926 CAN Comm. with other control units installed is not possible
P1925 The braking torque value sent from ESP via CAN is implausible
P1927 The braking signal sent from ESP via CAN is implausible

At first on the test drive I didn't go very fast. As I slowed for the first stop sign I felt a clunk. The next stop the same. I was worried that it was differential related, then I realized that it felt like the ASR or ESP kicking in. There were no dash lights until I got my speed up around maybe 25 mph. Then I got the ASR, ESP, and ABS trouble dash lights. From then on there was no clunk at stop signs. When the modules detect a wheel speed or safety system problem the ASR, ESP, and ABS safety systems are disabled to prevent the systems from destroying the drive train. Depending upon why those lights are on, you can drive the vehicle, but you will not have the benefit of the safety systems. One caution is that you must be certain to check that your brake lights are still working.

Some guesses for the above codes.
The left rear wheel speed signal getting intermittent caused all the various modules to know that something was wrong, but they couldn't know that it was specifically the left rear wheel. They could only report that there was a problem via or related to CAN information.
EGS (Transmission TCM)
P2401 Left rear wheel speed signal not plausible

The transmission module knew that the left rear wheel was the problem.

So the one problem with one wheel speed sensor caused all those codes. The signal being bad triggered CAN codes and information related problems in multiple modules.The dash warning lights remained until I went in to all the related modules (CAB - antilock brakes, SLA - ESM - shift lever module, TCM - tramission control module, ESP - electronic stability program) and cleared the codes. If you ever have the ASR, ESP, ABS dash warning lights remember to check ALL the safety system related modules for DTC's. The dash lights remained until I cleared DTC's on all the affected modules. I think, I'm not certain, that I needed to clear one of the modules with the engine running. That seemed to be when all the lights went out. I don't remember specifically which module at the time.

To me this shows the importance of recording all the codes and then reseting to see what returns so that you might narrow down the problem. That said, in this case if you did clear the codes and try again the problem would likely trigger the same codes in the modules.

Sorry I can't offer more. vic

Edit.

The multiple codes issue got me to develop a chart.

Module/DTC Record Chart
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29362

Last edited:

Sprinter OM647 2.7L Diesel Fuel Operation and Diagnosis Training Module
Pg 145 OBD

Some official OBDII information. It is from a OM647 specific manual, but should apply generally.

On Board Diagnostics (OBD)

On-board Diagnostics involves:

* Monitoring emission-relevant components and systems during driving
* Detecting and storing malfunctions
* Displaying malfunctions by activating the MIL lamp
* Transferring detected faults to a scan tool in the workshop via a standardized interface [for engine emissions related issues]

The following systems are monitored electronically
* Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
* Smooth running control (cylinders 1 to 5)
* Fuel system
* ECM and TCM control units
* Glow plug system [NAS aka NAFTA 2004 and up]
* Intake air path

Readiness Code

The readiness code makes it possible to recognize that test procedures (function chains) relating to fault recognition have been completed. The readiness code does not include all the electronic systems. The code is set when the following tests are completed:
* EGR (after 15 seconds)
* Fuel system (after 35 seconds)
* Smooth running control (after 70 seconds)

Warm-up Cycle

Systems that are not constantly monitored are checked only when a warm-up cycle is executed. One warm-up cycle consists of:
* Engine start
* Temperature increase higher than 4.5 C (40.1 F)
* Final temperature higher than 60 C (140 F)
* Engine switched off

Driving Cycle

One driving cycle consists of:
* Engine start
* 35 seconds at idle
* Engine switched off

Fault Detection

The following faults and error states are detected.
Signals above or below the limit value (open circuits, short circuits, faulty sensor):
* Plausibility of signals
* Function chains with faults
* Fault messages over the CAN data bus (ECM and TCM control modules)

Fault Storage

Faults detected are stored in the fault memory as a fault together with freeze frame data. If the fault is not confirmed in the subsequent driving cycle, it is erased. Emission-relevant faults are always entered, they have high priority.
An emissions-relevant fault is erased from the fault memory after 40 fault-free driving cycles. [The above helps to explain the lack of a MIL aka CEL during many LHM events.)

Fault Freeze Frame Data/Operating Conditions

Certain engine parameters are stored in memory when a fault is detected. Although the data stored depends on the particular fault, the following parameters are usually stored by the ECM:
* Fault code
* Vehicle speed
* Engine speed
* Coolant temperature
* Charge air temperature
* Boost pressure
* Engine load

Consequential Faults

If a faulty signal is detected and the corresponding fault code is stored, all the tests in which the signal is required as a comparative parameter are aborted. This ensures that no consequential faults are stored.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL aka CEL)

If an emission-relevant fault occurs in two consecutive driving cycles, or if limp-home mode is activated for a second time, the MIL lamp in the the instrument cluster (IC) lights up. In the event of a fault which could damage the catalytic converter, the MIL flashes. [A flashing MIL has yet to be reported on Sprinter-source.]
The MIL is switched off automatically after 3 or 4 consecutive fault-free driving cycles
Reading Out the Fault Memory

The ECM is linked via the K-LINE with the Data Link Connector (DLC). Stored faults can be retrieved and erased using the factory diagnostic scan tool or a standard readout unit (generic scan tool = limited module access) with ignition "ON", or with the engine running, via the DLC.
The fault memory is not erased if the vehicle battery is disconnected.

ECM Power Down

After faults are erased it may be necessary to wait until the processor has completed its power down sequence after the ignition is switched off. The processor power-down sequence lasts approximately six seconds.

The readiness code should be set manually after every workshop visit.

Last edited:

Re: DTC Light Diagnostic Trouble Code DRB OBD List Info

I stumbled upon this site recently. It's an interesting way to check codes.

http://enginecodes.net/

A member here questioned a C416 code. I submitted it to the site.

:idunno:

Generic SAE OBDII

C0416 Meaning :

C = Chassis Code
Problem is controller area network wiring bus and modules.
0 = SAE - Generic
4 = Auxiliary Emission Controls
1 = IC Circuit High Voltage
6 = PCM Stack Overrun

http://c0416.enginecodes.net/

Is the above accurate for a Sprinter?

:idunno:

First thought.........Ultra gauge is not a reliable code reader for Sprinters. So there is code stored but ultra gauge has a hard time with the ID of the code.
I agree with Showkey.

The simplified mode of operation for a OBDII generic scan tool as I understand it.

ECM aka ECU or other module is polled for the bits and bytes of stored information (DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes) by the generic scan tool.
The generic scan tool processes the information returned by the ECM (module).
The generic scan tool spits out the best interpretation that it can based upon its design/programming/loaded database.

The problems arise when the scan tool can't 100% receive/interpret the returned information from that specific ECM. In that case the resulting DTC's may be "best match/guess".

An OBDII scan tool designed/programmed with a specific vehicle brand database has a better chance of spitting out the correct DTC interpretation.

DTC's provided by other than a vehicle specific scan tool can send you down the garden path.

:2cents: vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom