Starter troubleshooting?

nicho

2006 sprinter 2500 144" 340000km

Up until now my starter has been strong, then all of a sudden I turn the key and no noise whatsoever. Battery is fine. Fuse is fine. To me this seems electrical, my mechanic says I need a new starter.

Any advice on how to check that a signal is being sent to the starter when the key is turned?

Has anyone ever had a starter blow on them like this in the past? For me there has always been warning signs before failure...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Put a heavy cable direct from the battery +ve to the starter, it should crank, this will eliminate fuses, switches etc.

Last edited:

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
Tooth fairy's method would work. But I would use a smaller jumper wire to the signal post, after first checking the fuse.

So this is how it works: Your ignition switch (or maybe ECM) sends 12v to the signal terminal of the starter solenoid, which connects the heavy gauge cables to the starter. Because you hear nothing, it sounds like your starter solenoid is stuck, or not receiving that 12v signal voltage. Measure the signal voltage to starter ground during cranking and report back. If no signal voltage, follow the wire up to the ignition switch, unplug, inspect, clean, replug. If signal voltage present, bang on the solenoid while cranking to get it unstuck, and replace it.

Generic photo, may not match sprinter exactly.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The Sprinter also has a small "starter relay" on the panel on the side of the driver's seat pedestal.
If that's not pulling in, the starter won't get its signal (the smaller wire mentioned above) to the solenoid.

VicsFuses023a2004FuseBlock2PicNotes1.jpg

--dick

nicho

Thanks all for the help. The mechanic assured me he did all that and the starter was truly dead. Threw one in, sure enough starter turned, and the engine is seized. Ran fine before the starter stopped...

jsrmonster

Try turning crank with socket on balancer bolt?

If you have access to star diagnostics, you can burp starter activation in "actuation's" as long as you don't have immo start-error.

Jeff

Thanks all for the help. The mechanic assured me he did all that and the starter was truly dead. Threw one in, sure enough starter turned, and the engine is seized. Ran fine before the starter stopped...
What brand starter was installed? There is some history of aftermarket starters not properly engaging the flywheel ring teeth. I suppose if bad enough it could be binding. Bosch and possibly Valeo is OEM brand.

I second the socket to try turning the engine manually (clockwise as you face engine is recommended), but your mechanic should have tried that already.

The T1N flex plate has some history of cracking and failing which could let pieces get jammed. That said, your 2006 should have a newer design flex plate which is less susceptible to failure.

vic

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
Don't try to start it any more until you verify the engine spins. Your starter pinion has gotta be stuck on the flywheel like AP said. I wouldn't consider flex plates or anything else yet; all that changed was the starter. Remove and test starter.

Top Bottom