Removing the electric step

Elf

Vehicle Systems Engineer

i finish by electric step by pass for the 2019-present sprinter. i think the older version works the same but i need to get the connector to make it easier to install. can anyone post a picture of the original connector for me to find. a clear picture and if there's an number on it would be helpful thanks.

BlackThroatedWind

BlackThroatedWind
HI I HAD THE PINCH SENSOR DAMAGED ON THE FRONT EDGE OF MY STEP IT CLOSED ITSELF BUT WILL NOT COME BACK OUT WHEN THE DOOR OPENS IS THERE AWAY TO JUMP SOMETHING TO BYPASS THE SENSOR TO ALLOW THE STEP TO WORK
I had the same thing happen.. were you able to jump out the pinch sensor? I assume if you put a 510 ohm resistor across the normally open sensor wires should work? Any help would be great.
My sensor is also damaged. Did you jump out the pinch sensor?
My anti pinch "yellow strip" on my 2015 sprinter electric step is malfunctioning and the electric step won't deploy. Is there a way to bypass?
Because I’ve also scoured the forum trying to verify that the strip that has come loose from the edge of my step is indeed the obstacle sensor / pinch detection and the strip itself with wire thru it is (not) completing the circuf and thus acts as the agent to indicate an obstacle or pinch… I also find the need to raise the issue as such:

HOW DO I REPAIR THE OBSTACLE DETECTION / PINCH SENSOR TO COMPLETE THE CIRXUF AND ONCE AGAIN ALLOW MY ELECTRIC RETRACTABLE STEP TO EXTEND OUT AND NO LONGER BE JAMMED IN? IS THERE A DIAGRAM OR IMAGE TO DEMONSTRATE THE PROPER ARRANGEMENT FOR THE WIRING OF THIS SENSOR?
I NEED THE BEEPING TO STOP, I TRUST THAT I CAN DO THIS WITHOUT REPLAXING THE ENTIRE STEP

PLUS I KNOW A BUNCH OF RANDOM ACCESSORIES FOLLOW ON MY PSM SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO GUIDE ME TO THE $20 FIX THAT IS BEFORE ME!?

Sorry I got a bit carried away with the empathetic comedy caps, however, the beeping… it’s driving me (and my neighbors) to the edge…the edge is the sensor, right!?

Thank You :)

stempien

Long story short. I tried a lot of tactics as the beeping was driving me insane lol. The computer can be reprogrammed to bypass the sensor. The dealership had zero clue and said I needed a new step. Found a place familiar with Sprinters that reprogrammed and essentially turned off the sensor. The step has been working with no beeps sense. Hope that helps.

buythru

There is an easy way to bypass the pinch switch. You need to take the bottom panel off of the step to get access to the switch connector. The step does not need to be removed. I however had no idea what was wrong with mine and removed almost everything to clean and test. Once your panel is off you follow the cable coming from the step to where it has a connector to the motor. Next put a 510ohm resister in the plug as seen in picture. I did not solder or crimp anything but it would be better to make a more secure connection. If mine fails I will go back and do that. Mine works great now.

Attachments

buythru

Because I’ve also scoured the forum trying to verify that the strip that has come loose from the edge of my step is indeed the obstacle sensor / pinch detection and the strip itself with wire thru it is (not) completing the circuf and thus acts as the agent to indicate an obstacle or pinch… I also find the need to raise the issue as such:

HOW DO I REPAIR THE OBSTACLE DETECTION / PINCH SENSOR TO COMPLETE THE CIRXUF AND ONCE AGAIN ALLOW MY ELECTRIC RETRACTABLE STEP TO EXTEND OUT AND NO LONGER BE JAMMED IN? IS THERE A DIAGRAM OR IMAGE TO DEMONSTRATE THE PROPER ARRANGEMENT FOR THE WIRING OF THIS SENSOR?
I NEED THE BEEPING TO STOP, I TRUST THAT I CAN DO THIS WITHOUT REPLAXING THE ENTIRE STEP

PLUS I KNOW A BUNCH OF RANDOM ACCESSORIES FOLLOW ON MY PSM SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO GUIDE ME TO THE $20 FIX THAT IS BEFORE ME!?

Sorry I got a bit carried away with the empathetic comedy caps, however, the beeping… it’s driving me (and my neighbors) to the edge…the edge is the sensor, right!?

Thank You :)
Let me know if you have any questions

latinasprinter

more pics
hi I think I'ma need your help!!!I was looking at your pictures and it looked like ur yellow wire was cut off ,my dog bite off my yellow wire and the edge protector now my step doesn't want to come out and it was making a loud buzzing noise !I got the noise off but I cant figure out how to fix the step!i was thinking on getting some single wire seal yellow 16 awg not sure if that will work?what kind of wire did u get?

Attachments

latinasprinter

In a small triumph of man over machine, I have managed to shut off one of the two warnings I was getting about the step. But first, let me share what I have learned about the factory step.

There are six wires going to the step. A careful reading of the wiring diagrams found at the link in the previous post taught me that two of those wires are power coming through relays (pink and violet), one is called the retracted switch (green), one the extended switch (blue), one is an anti-pinch switch (yellow), and the last is a ground (brown). The colors are those on the body wiring harness. The step itself has different colors (mine are black, white, blue, violet, green, and red, respectively.)

When retracted (or stowed) the retract switch is open and the extended switch is closed. These two reverse when the step is extended. I was not able to figure out how the anti-pinch switch works.

I'm almost certain that the pink and violet wires send power to the motor to extend and retract the step. One will run the motor to extend, and the other will retract. I didn't try to find out which is which. It didn't dawn on me to test that from the body side of things. You should be able to test for 12 volts on them with the sliding door open and closed.

The victory came from simulating the switches. When I stuck a jumper in the now empty connector in the van to simulate the closing of the extended switch, the van quit complaining about the step every time I started driving. I still get a warning when I open the sliding door, but even that can be cut down by pulling the fuses for the electric step (under the driver's seat, number 43 for the power and 45 for the controller).

I'm sure I saved a couple hundred dollars at the dealer to have them remove the step programming from the PCM. But the annoyance is down to a tolerable level, and I still have a little bit of incentive to figure out how to listen in on the CAN bus and perhaps learn how to reprogram the PCM myself. And I still have some dollars in my pocket to put toward an appropriate tool, rather than a one-time fix at the dealer.
I need ur help!!not sure if this wire coming out of my step is the anti switch wire?n my edge Procter is gone too !my step doesn't come out

Attachments

Top Bottom