Brakes: Gravity vs Pressure Bleed

Compstall

Just ordered the MityVac MV6840. Will see how it works out.

BlackHawk

First post on Sprinter Source, so hello everyone!

I wanted to give you a bit of personal experience with bleeding. I just purchased a T1N that had sat parked for two years and had a bad master cylinder as a result. Previous owner agreed to have his mechanic replace/bleed the brakes before I took possession. Mechanic does not own a DRBIII. He/we have been unable to get any pedal feel back with conventional bleeding methods.

I do have access to a DAD, I'm not sure if it is capable of the same ABS function as the DRBIII

Jake

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
First post on Sprinter Source, so hello everyone!

I do have access to a DAD, I'm not sure if it is capable of the same ABS function as the DRBIII

Jake
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

You should be able to use the DAD on a T1N to cycle the ABS pump during the bleed process. vic

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
For all of you looking to just bleed the system, I use Speed Bleeders. :rad: I have not installed them on the Sprinter yet, but they have been used on all of my other vehicles including my race bikes. Crack the bleeder, and pump away until fluid is clear. Just keep an eye on m/c fluid level. It is so easy you'll never dread the job.

Vic, does the DAD process completely flush the system? Do you still need two people? I suspect the process is fully documented in the service manual? Inquiring minds....

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Vic, does the DAD process completely flush the system? Do you still need two people? I suspect the process is fully documented in the service manual? Inquiring minds....
It flushes the system. I had two people. I don't remember the entire procedure.

Here's some info from the DAD sticky. Apparently some people have had problems accessing the program.

Please look under 'manual component activation' for brake bleeding.

The ABS pump test feature you reference is under ABS test and calibration. Doktor A
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=93191#post93191

Andy,

I've never been able to get the DAD ABS bleed program to operate. I've always gotten the "does not communicate" error. This is strange as I can communicate with the ABS module to check for faults.

Even though you say I don't have ESP, I have been able to operate the DAD ESP bleed mode 3 times. Once earlier this year, and the other times this week while trying to get the bleed procedure down. Two of the times while the ESP bleed was functional I terminated the program after verifying noise coming from the actuators. The third time I proceeded to activate the second wheel (after the first wheel was done). While activating the second wheel I got the "does not communicate" message again.

I tried different scenarios to get the bleed to work. Once I pumped the brake pedal while activating the ESP bleed function. I was pumping the brake before the "does not communicate" error appeared. This created a bunch of error codes that required multiple scans and ignition ON/OFF sequences to clear:

CDI Diesel: P2209: CAN commu. error with ESP/ABS control unit.
Instru. Cluster: B1041: CAN commu. error with traction control unit.
CDI Diesel: P2333: Vehicle speed cruise control: wheel speed
Transmission: P2310 CAN commu. with traction
ABS/ASR: C1000: Traction system control unit
ESM: P1876: The wheel rpm from the ESP system are not available on CAN bus.

I guess it's up to other DAD users to verify if ABS bleed works for them. As I mentioned before, you don't have to do a bleed operation to to check for DAD bleed functionality. You should get a foot massage when pumping the brake pedal to verify correct bleed/actuator operation. I hope someone can get it working and I find out what I'm doing wrong. My wife just reminded me that one of my main objectives in purchasing the DAD was to flush the brakes.

Cal
Clicking the arrow after the quote name will take you to the quoted posting. vic

BlackHawk

Do you guys know where I can get ahold of a new DAD install disk? the unit I have access to had a damaged disk that isn't allowing me to install it. I'm curious now to see if the DAD errors out or allows access to the abs.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Do you guys know where I can get ahold of a new DAD install disk? ...
Doktor A supplied the DAD units. Contact him.

This is a canned response.

Doktor A is Andy Bittenbinder. An excellent mechanic/designer who specializes in Sprinters (and Porsches, and Saabs, and… ). He is generously willing to share his vast knowledge to those in need.

A most important phone number to keep handy.
I have it saved to my cell phone and written in grease pencil under my hood.

"Call my Sprinter Hot Line 412-366-6165. Doktor A".

Have a pad of paper handy when you call him.

Be certain to leave your phone number with area code each and every time you leave him a voice message.
He lives in Pittsburgh PA area. That is the Eastern Time Zone so show some courtesy as to timing your calls.

Compstall

What specifically does DAD stand for? Not my Dad, cause he's of no use here....

Oh yeah, DRB too....

Dirty Rotten Bastard?

^^^ that's what it means according to internetslang.com...

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
What specifically does DAD stand for? Not my Dad, cause he's of no use here....
The DAD is Doktor A Diagnostics

It is a fleet purchased aftermarket scan tool which Doktor A supplied at a great low price until the supply dried up. If memory serves it is related to the Carsoft technology. It accesses via K-line communication and will work on 2001 - 2006 (NAFTA) T1N Sprinters. It may also work on Euro models. I'm 100% certain that it will not work on any NCV3 models (CAN bus accessed).

Oh yeah, DRB too....

Dirty Rotten Bastard?

^^^ that's what it means according to internetslang.com...
If you can believe this...
:idunno:

"It is the Chrysler(Dodge) factory scan tool. It stands for Diagnostic Readout Box. The DRB III was is used for vehicles up till the 2006 model year."

http://www.ask.com/question/drb-scan-tool

Actually the 2006 reference is incorrect. Many post 2006 Dodge/Chrysler vehicles (non-CAN bus access) still use the DRBIII tool. Newer generation CAN bus vehicles respond to the StarScan, Wi-Tech or StarMobile tool . I know that the 2007 Sprinters can use those tools. I don't believe later model Sprinters do. (Where is Jon Caples when you need him??)

vic

Last edited:

sailquik

Compstall,
DRB-III stands for Diagnostic Readout Box (in Chrysler/Dodge speak).
The -III means it's the latest version (There were DRB ...DRB-I and DRB-II before they came out with the DRB-III).
You will also need the correct interface cabling.
Might want to check with Dr. A on this.
He's the only one I know who really can run all the tests with a DRB-III so I'm sure he knows what specific cabling and
interfaces are needed for Sprinters.
Roger

Top Bottom