Key Failure - Harmonic Balancer Failure

TooFast

TooFast
Hmmmm, My Sprinter threw a rod out the block at 126K miles. While removing the front cross member above the radiator, etc I noticed tool marks all over, like the engine had been removed once...possibly to replace the crank that was damaged by HB failure??? and the #1 cylinder rod was not reinstalled correctly? I'll be checking the oil pan bolts and gasket for signs of removal. Food for thought...

PeteInLongBeach

I am less concerned with HB failure, and more concerned with keyway failure and crankshaft damage. I suppose it could not hurt to re-torque the securing bolt at regular intervals...

Was it ever determined whether this was only occurring on vans with extra A/C ?

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I am less concerned with HB failure, and more concerned with keyway failure and crankshaft damage. I suppose it could not hurt to re-torque the securing bolt at regular intervals...

Was it ever determined whether this was only occurring on vans with extra A/C ?
Breakage of the harmonic balancers is less common then key failure and even these are not, what I would consider, common.

"Re-torqueing" of the bolt is not practical because of difficulty of achieving (and especially measuring) the specified torque and the locking of the engine against rotation. A new bolt would have to be used each time.

Data suggests key failure is most likely to strike pulleys replaced (or in the case of A/C, retrofitted) by inexperienced techs not using new bolts and not using correct torque.

A conversation with a 54 Sprinter (average mileage 450K) fleet owner a few weeks ago revealed 2 or 3 key failures and these were on heavily loaded 3500 models not his 2500's. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Were can you find the serial#?
If you are referring to the new vs. original key design split, don't bother with the VIN.

Just read the embossed number on the head of the pulley bolt. The early design has "10.9" and the later design bolt/crank has the distinctive "1150".

Both designs use the identical pulley and chain sprocket part #'s.

I have a late key way (single key way design) late '06 crankshaft on the workbench, which has been damaged by a pulley which obviously separated prematurely from this crankshaft. Sorry no details regarding this particular failure from the dealer who shipped this to me but it does somewhat lessen my enthusiasm for the updated design. Doktor A

BULBASOR

BULBASOR does not have a rear AC unit - do I need to have my pully looked at by Claudio the Sprinter Tech?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
BULBASOR does not have a rear AC unit - do I need to have my pully looked at by Claudio the Sprinter Tech?
I am with you on that is the people out there with out the rear AC unit need to be worried about having this checked? Also f it is a problem is this going to be a recall item or something we have to pay out of our own pocket?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Just read the embossed number on the head of the pulley bolt. The early design has "10.9" and the later design bolt/crank has the distinctive "1150".
To add to this, the magic build date is March 2006. If your Sprinter is manufactured before this, more than likely you will see a 10.9. After, it'll be the 1150.

My Sprinter was delivered March 2006. I have the 10.9 bolt.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So which is the bad bolt? the 10.9 or the 1150 ???
None.

You need the correct bolt for the correct pulley type (Harmonic Balancer), with the correct key.

If you read Richard's post here...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=41606&postcount=17

...you can find the PDF file that will tell you everything that you need to know.

Some very good pictures of the old key design (using the 10.9 bolt) from Doktor A in this post...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=41931&postcount=37

There's also a picture of the crankshaft for the newer key in that post.

BULBASOR

Okay, no direct answer on that one and I'm too lazy to go read all the posts so I'll try another tack:

BULBASOR was born in 2004, so he is to old to get this ailment, right?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Okay, no direct answer on that one and I'm too lazy to go read all the posts so I'll try another tack:

BULBASOR was born in 2004, so he is to old to get this ailment, right?

I think Bulbasor is the only one immune to this, so if I was Bulbasor, I wouldn't worry about it. :smilewink: :lol:

BULBASOR

Ha ha, very funny . . :rolleyes: Okay, no shortcuts for me today - I'll go back and read all the stuff that Richard wrote in the links but I gotta say your making this very hard! :rant: because I don't speak Austrailian very well and sometimes it's hard to follow Richard but I will get out my Aussie translation guide and dictionary and see if I can sort through his droppings, I mean postings. :D:

Top Bottom