Changing Anitfreeze

Daystar

Can anyone point me to a thread explaining how to do a change in engine coolant? I have a 2008 2500 V-6 Diesel. Thanks.

sleeper bird

pretty simple,drivers side radiator has a valve down low,you can see it from the top of engine bay with a flashlight,on the side of the valve there will be a little hose spout,i used a 5/16 inch piece of fuel line to connect to hose spout long enough to reach the ground with a oil pan drain container,turn valve aprox half a turn and it will drain about a gal out

Daystar

pretty simple,drivers side radiator has a valve down low,you can see it from the top of engine bay with a flashlight,on the side of the valve there will be a little hose spout,i used a 5/16 inch piece of fuel line to connect to hose spout long enough to reach the ground with a oil pan drain container,turn valve aprox half a turn and it will drain about a gal out
How do you get out the other 1.5 gallons? Is there a drain on the block?

Here are the Mercedes workshop instructions for a 906 coolant change. No block drain. I normally drain them when the cooling system is warm in order to have the thermostat slightly open which aids with the block draining. Can't remember one that the block didn't drain overnight. It is common on other Mercedes to apply a little air pressure to the upper radiator hose to help get the last bits of coolant out.

Please note that Mercedes recommends applying a vacuum to the system to make sure there are no air pockets. You can get a "Airlift" system off Amazon for around $125 which is 1/10 of the factory vacuum system. I really like them because you can easily detect coolant leaks before you refill the system.

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000...=UTF8&qid=1480981742&sr=8-3&keywords=air+lift

Mike

Attachments

Top Bottom