E-track Rear Deck Bed Support

RVBarry

I needed a raised bed for my 2006 Freightliner 2500HC 140 passenger. I contemplated removing the plastic trim under the rear windows to install the supports, but decided against it. My decision was to install E-track right over the plastic trim.
Hi Vic,
Would it be easy to mount the horizontal E-Track to vertical L-Tracks so height could be adjusted?
Is the E-Track rigid enough to only be mounted at two or three points on an 8-foot span?

Thanks!

RVBarry

Hi Vic,
Would it be easy to mount the horizontal E-Track to vertical L-Tracks so height could be adjusted?
Is the E-Track rigid enough to only be mounted at two or three points on an 8-foot span?

Thanks!
Bump... anyone?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Hi Vic,

Thanks!
Bump... anyone?
My apologies. I missed this.

In my opinion the E-track could work as a bed support with fasteners at only 3 points over 8 feet. That said, the E-track would need to be used only as a bed support.

The shape/design of the E-track is such that the downward forces of the bed loads should be fine. The E-track installed with only 3 points over 8 feet would not be strong enough for other load securements.

As to using vertical L-track in conjunction with E-track, keep in mind that the span in the Sprinter reduces as you approach the ceiling. That needs to be considered in any multi level position bed design.

vic

RVBarry

As to using vertical L-track in conjunction with E-track, keep in mind that the span in the Sprinter reduces as you approach the ceiling. That needs to be considered in any multi level position bed design.
Thanks Vic,
So, 3 vertical L-Tracks on each side of the rear of the van, with the E-track spanning across all three...
I'd have to curve the L-track a bit; I think Adventure Wagon's video describes how to do that. And I'll probably use Ikea bed rails, so they can contract and expand for different heights and possible flex.

How to bolt/fasten the E-track to the L-track? The rectangular holes in the E-track don't seem well-shaped for bolts or L-brackets.

Thanks!

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder

How to bolt/fasten the E-track to the L-track? The rectangular holes in the E-track don't seem well-shaped for bolts or L-brackets.

Thanks!
I would ignore the rectangular holes and drill the space(s) between the E-track slots for proper size to fit the L-track stud fittings. It appears that there is enough metal there to allow that.

That said, I don't know if the standard L-track stud fittings are long enough to protrude out from the E-track to use a nut or wing nut for fastening.

A possibility might be to use a metal plate. The plate would attach using the existing E-track fastener holes and extend up enough to provide a drilled attachment tab for the L-track stud fitting. If the plate is large enough to cover 4 each existing fastener holes I would use 4 each pop rivets installed from the backside of the plate for attachment.

This is all off the top of my head. Thinking out loud. And again, only for a bed support.

vic

RVBarry

Thanks, that makes sense!

Top Bottom