check engine light on, 2005 sprinter 5cyl

domromer

I went out to change my sprinters oil this morning and the yellow check engine light stayed on after the starting sequence. I checked my manual and it pretty much said bring it into the shop.

I'd like to avoid that if possible and see if there is anything I can do on my own. What should I check out?

Last week of I was messing with the 6 pin trailer wiring in back after my 6 pin plug died otherwise I've done nothing to the van in the past few months other than replace the resonator and turbo hose about 6 months ago.

Would running the battery low possibly cause the check engine light to come on? When we were working on the trailer plug connection we were constantly cycling through the lights to check the trailer. If that's the case I might hook the battery tender right up to the battery while it's in the van. If I do that do I need to disconnect the battery from the van. Or is it alright to leave everything plugged in with the battery tender attached?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dom

Last edited:

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
Do you have any kind of a code reader/scanner? Even the cheap ODB one might help. Local auto parts store can get you a free scan.

You can always see if someone close has a tool: check the "scan tool access locator" in the scanner subforum.

domromer

Do you have any kind of a code reader/scanner? Even the cheap ODB one might help. Local auto parts store can get you a free scan.

You can always see if someone close has a tool: check the "scan tool access locator" in the scanner subforum.
I don't have a scanner. I'll look in the subforum and see if anyone around me has one... The free scan at the auto parts store will work?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You could start by getting a free scan for trouble codes at almost any Auto Parts store (they want to sell you scanners and parts, right?).

A Check Engine Light (CEL or MIL (Maintenance Indictor Light)) *will* leave a code that a normal scanner should see.

Beyond that you'd need a "dealer-level" scanner (or a $165 Autel MD802) to dig deeper into the Sprinter.

Things like a faulty Intake Air Temp sensor ($30-ish) can trigger CELs and may not affect performance quite yet.
(monitoring what's going on with your Sprinter "real time" is one of the handy features of a ScanGauge, UltraDAQ or DashDAQ).
((which can also serve as basic code scanners))

A free scan will work?
It's better than nothing, which is what you have now.

IF the cause of the CEL was temporary or intermittent, it may "go away" on its own after a few (3 to 10, depending) restarts.

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom