Swirl Valve Fixes, not Repairs.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Buried in the Swirl Valves thread is Todd's diesel fuel/Sea Foam injection remedy.
Swirl Valves
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24758

Some members may be interested in trying to avoid swirl valve problems. Please add any other DIY fixes to this thread.

2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500, turbo 6, 112,000 miles

P2015 usually means stuck swirl valves, not fuel rail pressure. This is a common problem on Sprinters that sit for days or weeks between driving.

Fixed stuck swirl valves by injecting 90%diesel/10%Sea Foam Detergent into turbo intake, while driving. Inject through a squirt bottle (on dash board), fuel hose run through the firewall, and needle valve (normally for inflating basketballs) into black air intake hose just before the turbo. Punch a small hole with a nail and push in the needle, then secure it permanently. Squirt about one table spoon every five miles while driving for six weeks.

In the mean time, manually un-jam the swirl valve's by grabbing the linkage with a long metal hook, gently rocking free. Use a common wood paint stirring stick to lever push the linkage also. You'll need a bright flashlight to see. Manually exercise the valves full through, then insert key and start engine. (You may have to warm the engine first to loosen the sludge in the intake manifolds before the manual unjamming.) Van will run in normal mode (not limp mode) and after a few days, the check engine light will shut off. YOU WILL HAVE TO MANUALLY UN-JAM THE SWIRL VALVES A FEW TIMES BEFORE THE DIESEL/SEA FOAM SOLUTION BEGINS TO WORK. Then it is just an occasional squirt every 100 -300 miles or so the rest of the life of the van. THERE IS NO NEED TO REPLACE YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLDS. Dodge diesel mechanic says this will not do any damage to your Sprinter. It worked on my Sprinter.

Todd from Wisconsin, USA
2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500, turbo 6, 114000 miles

9 Month update on the 90%Diesel 10%Sea Foam Detergent ($6 per bottle at auto parts store)

My swirl valves are still working perfectly. There has been no damage to my Sprinter. I inject once per month, about two tablespoons. Recommended procedure: Drive the Sprinter to full warm, inject the 90% 10% just before shut off while gently revving the engine. Then, wait and hour. Start and drive the Sprinter again to suck out and burn off all of the freshly melted carbon oil sludge. This also allows the 90% 10% to migrate down into the pivots below the butterfly swirl valves, where the sticking jams the valves.

Note: If I go three months without injecting, my swirl valves will start jamming again.

(Yes, I understand that this will not fix loose linkage or a weak actuator motor.)

Again, there is no need to replace your intake manifolds if you have sludge jamming.

Todd From Wisconsin

Todd helped me before with the swirl problems. Since then I am glad to say I got actuator switch out once I am down to the actuator to 40 minutes.
No turbo or pipe, or trans drop. Just remove filter, turbo exit tube and items blocking the actuator. The trick is getting the connectors back into place in the right order..etc.
I see Sprinters as the Himalayas of repairing. One screw up and its all over... why cant we have a full onboard diagnostics like Cadillacs...huh

2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500, 117,000 miles, diesel turbo 6 cylinder

It has now been a year and a half of injecting 90% diesel 10% Sea Foam detergent ($6 per bottle) into my 2008 Dodge Sprinter. Please see my 9-21-2015 and 3-16-2016 posts. The swirl valves have not jammed since.

There has been no damage to my Sprinter using this injection method. I inject once per month, about one tablespoon.

I think all sprinter owners should inject "Sea Foam" detergent into the mouth of the turbo, about once per month. My van is running like new and the fuel economy is great. The 90-10 injections help keep the intake manifolds clean and will keep the swirl valves from carbon sludge jamming.

To all of you who only drive your sprinters about once per week or so, this is a must do procedure. You will likely develop the carbon sludge jammed swirl valve problem over the years. It is expensive to replace those intake manifolds. Avoid this repair.

Todd from Wisconsin
Thanks Todd. :thumbup:

vic

Added:
Seafoam is good stuff but very old spec formulation.
BG 244 & 245 is the top flight stuff and on par with Liqui Moly 2005 Diesel Purge.
Both brands are very good.
Dennis
https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2005-Diesel-Purge/dp/B00CPL8OVE

Last edited:

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
Has anyone done a 4.7k Ohm resistor mod on a ~2008 V6 swirl valve actuator/motor?.

I have the resistor ready to fit but I can't find the position of the actuator. Is it buried under the fuel filter?

A youtube video showed it was at the turbo end of the manifolds on a 320. When I looked it was not there.

Just another thought. Can somone tell me the route/colours of the 4 wires back from the actuator?

This seems to be a common mod on Jeeps and OM642 etc but I do not see it mentioned on Sprinters?

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Has anyone done a 4.7k Ohm resistor mod on a ~2008 V6 swirl valve actuator/motor?.

I have the resistor ready to fit but I can't find the position of the actuator. Is it buried under the fuel filter?

A youtube video showed it was at the turbo end of the manifolds on a 320. When I looked it was not there.

Just another thought. Can somone tell me the route/colours of the 4 wires back from the actuator?

This seems to be a common mod on Jeeps and OM642 etc but I do not see it mentioned on Sprinters?
I don't know about the Jeep implementation but in the OM642 in a Sprinter simply spoofing the presence of the actuator motor with a resistor isn't enough because there are also switches that detect when the swirl valve linkages are in their home (closed) position, and if the ECU does not see the linkages moving when expected then a fault code will be set, possibly leading to LHM. In a 2008-vintage Sprinter the easiest if not inexpensive way to disable EKAS/EGR is with an ECU tune (discussed endlessly in other threads so I won't delve into it here.)

Yellow518

2008 NCV3/OM642 518cdi
Thank you for your reply.

Having the extra position sensors might account for sprinter owners not using this method.

Maybe the Jeep and Mercedes 320's variant's don't have these sensors.

I already have the ECU sorted. I just want to try and get the butterfly flaps permanantly in the open position.

I still can't see the Swirl Actuator. Did Mercedes ever supply sprinters without this feature?

smiller

The valves default to the open position due to spring force so disconnecting the actuator should leave them permanently open. Also just noticed that you are in the UK and it's possible that only North American vehicles are equipped with the EKAS system, not certain.

Last edited:

MGTOW

The valves default to the open position due to spring force so disconnecting the actuator should leave them permanently open. Also just noticed that you are in the UK and it's possible that only North American vehicles are equipped with the EKAS system, not certain.

Hey Smiler, I did the ECU tune with Swirl Delete. Was told to disconnect the Swirl L/R sensor and valve activator making sure its in the open position. Cant find any pics or location descriptions. Any chance you know of this? :idunno:

smiller

Hey Smiler, I did the ECU tune with Swirl Delete. Was told to disconnect the Swirl L/R sensor and valve activator making sure its in the open position. Cant find any pics or location descriptions. Any chance you know of this? :idunno:
Told by who? There should be no need to physically disconnect anything as the tune disables the outputs and ignores the inputs via software.

Regarding verifying that the valves are in the open position, it can be difficult to see the linkage but it can be done (an inspection mirror will help.) I remember a thread or two that had pictures, I'll see if I can find them.

Tonytt

I just got towed to the Dodge dealership. Have loss of power and P2015 engine code. The Dealership just called, and said it's the swirl value. Going to cost $3,000 for parts and 30 hours labor (around $4,200). So the bill is looking to be on the plus side of $8,000 or more. I'm at a loss, as this is all out of pocket.

It was running perfect, best it ever ran, before I shut it off back in October. Just been sitting in driveway. I have a 2008 Winnebago View, 60,000 miles, on a Dodge Sprinter 3500.

Thoughts

smiller

I just got towed to the Dodge dealership. Have loss of power and P2015 engine code. The Dealership just called, and said it's the swirl value. Going to cost $3,000 for parts and 30 hours labor (around $4,200). So the bill is looking to be on the plus side of $8,000 or more. I'm at a loss, as this is all out of pocket.

It was running perfect, best it ever ran, before I shut it off back in October. Just been sitting in driveway. I have a 2008 Winnebago View, 60,000 miles, on a Dodge Sprinter 3500.

Thoughts
Just as above, a GDE tune will get you back on the road for $700 with no chance of any swirl valve (or EGR) problems in the future. The only downside is that it regrettably will cause an increase in NOx emissions, your call as to whether that is worth the $7,300 difference in repair costs (plus all the risks associated with them taking the engine apart, plus the chance of the same thing happening again in a few years.)

You can also try a chemical intake system cleaning which might help if the linkage is simply stuck, but I wouldn't count on that kind of remedy lasting very long, if it works at all.

Last edited:

hishameen

Thoughts
Another option is this bypass... Ive had it running for a while now with no issues. Its pretty easy to install yourself, just plug in a few connectors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264442323719?ul_noapp=true

youngwerth

GDE is no longer doing Sprinter ECU tuning. Any other recommendations for ECU tuners to delete the swirl valves? Is the simple resistor mod holding up for people?

smiller

GDE is no longer doing Sprinter ECU tuning. Any other recommendations for ECU tuners to delete the swirl valves? Is the simple resistor mod holding up for people?
The resistor mod will not work on a Sprinter. The resistor makes the system believe that the actuator is connected, but the Sprinter also uses microswitches to verify that the valves have moved off their full-open stops. If the latter doesn't occur when it should then the system will determine a fault.

Top Bottom