Using the MB Star Xentry/DAS

Jan M

I bought a complete Star C3 system from www.obdstore.co.uk last year. It has worked flawless and helped me a lot in servicing and repairing my van. The MD Tony is also very serviceminded. Highly recommended.

marklg

Any advantage to getting a C4 or C5 over a C3 if I only have a T1N? It seems from these forums getting a ready to run system including laptop with an SSD is the way to go unless I want more headaches. Expecting to follow Dennis's suggestions.

Regards,

Mark

For my 2007 Dodge Sprinter, it sounds like I don't want to go with a C3, and that a C4 is better. Am I understanding that correctly?

Would a C5 offer any more or less than a C4 for this older van? It looks like the prices are about the same.

Also, I'm reading conflicting opinions on the version vintage for older vans, and for Dodge vans... e.g. 2015.05 vs V2012.11

(BTW, what exactly is that version number for...MB Star firmware? Xentry software? Something else?)

Last edited:
And finally, one aspect that is getting very little discussion here...I am super uneasy about booting up a laptop with software and operating system of questionable origin. If it's isolated and not on my wifi network, I guess I'm not too worried. Do these insist on Internet connectivity to run? Can I just say Nope to wifi settings?

If not, at least I can put it on a guest wifi so it can't see my other goodies. At least, not so easily.

What's the consensus on the data safety of these laptops, as well as the scanners?

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
And finally, one aspect that is getting very little discussion here...I am super uneasy about booting up a laptop with software and operating system of questionable origin. If it's isolated and not on my wifi network, I guess I'm not too worried. Do these insist on Internet connectivity to run? Can I just say Nope to wifi settings?

If not, at least I can put it on a guest wifi so it can't see my other goodies. At least, not so easily.

What's the consensus on the data safety of these laptops, as well as the scanners?
It would take a pretty gnarly BIOS level piece of malware to permanently screw up the laptop. Worst thing that happens is that your laptop is too new and it blue screens when it tries to boot. In that case, take out the hard drive and put the original one with your existing working Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/whatever people run these days back in.

My recommendation is not to connect it to the internet at all as you run the risk of it phoning home to Mother Mercedes and disabling the software due to improper/cracked activation. My software did not come with any network drivers and has only been run offline. When I wanted to install display drivers, I installed them from a USB stick.

Thanks. I didn't realize you could run it completely offline. Sounds like you bought a drive, not a preconfigured laptop. I hadn't considered that... Sounds a bit safer, perhaps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

marklg

Thanks. I didn't realize you could run it completely offline. Sounds like you bought a drive, not a preconfigured laptop. I hadn't considered that... Sounds a bit safer, perhaps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I figured that a drive alone may not work in a particular different laptop and Windows will want to go to the internet for drivers. I've read stories about effort getting it up and running. I figured a preconfigured used laptop that I never connect to the internet is reasonable enough. Both a drive or a preconfigured laptop could contain malware. A seller that has been in business for a while is likely to not have malware, just because they value their reputation and it is in their best interest to send things out clean.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:

Goofy foot

sliding left...
Ive run my c3 successfully on a Toughbook CF-31 offline using Windows XP, using a serial port for years. When I want to use the laptop for anything else....I swap hard drives and run Windows 10.

Hi I bought a C3 from Chen (OBD in aliexpress) a year ago. I couldn't conect to my sprinter and Chen told me to use com2.....long story short I got busy until this week my gl320 broke down. I try to connect on com2 but still getting an error.
Chen was nice enough to conect to my computer, and says C3 is working but for my Sprinter I would need a C3 24v or a C4???
Really mad right now, I specifically told Chen I was buying form him because he was recommended at Sprinter forum but apparently he sold me a C3 that doesn't work for Sprinter.
Does anyone know what cars can a C3 12v be used on?
I feel completely cheated at this point.

Lotus54

I had an issue when I got mine awhile ago. I did get all my money, by ‘reselling’ to another of their customers in the states.
Then I got the other version- but I’m not convinced I needed that version. I recall an issue with the com ports, but I’ll have to go back and see if I made a post or some notes on it.
I was not very pleased with ordering one specifically for a Sprinter- then said I had to get something else. It is NOT a 24V vehicle, so I don’t see why it would need it.

Austinwj1

At my shop we work on a lot of sprinter vans, if anyone on here has knowledge of how to get them out of “countdown” state would you please contact me

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
Is there a reference, or can someone please comment on what hardware / software combination is required for the following on a 2016:
PSM - development and programming
Vehicle coding - Adding J51, changing HZ9 to H12, speed limiter removal, etc.
Flashing ECU code

F2ca170

Is there a reference, or can someone please comment on what hardware / software combination is required for the following on a 2016:
PSM - development and programming
Vehicle coding - Adding J51, changing HZ9 to H12, speed limiter removal, etc.
Flashing ECU code
It takes MB Xentry software and a multiplexer to interface between your PC and the OBDII port. Read all the post in this thread and you will learn a lot.

As for the speed limiter..... I do not believe that Xentry can completely remove the speed limiter without having a VIN specific file to load into Xentry software that in turn unlocks the ability to REMOVE the speed limiter for that VIN only. If your van is doing anything less than 82 mph as a top limit, then it can be adjusted up to 82 mph using Xentry WITHOUT THE VIN SPECIFIC FILE. But 82 MPH will be the top limit unless MB Germany issues you a custom VIN specific file for the dealer to use with their Xentry software to remove the limiter. You can go to a MB dealer and they can request this service for you from the MB mothership, to remove the limiter. Some dealers know this.... some don't. Yet you have to prove that you are not using the van for commercial purposes. Basically you have to show that it is titled and registered in your name as a personal vehicle and/or RV. It also is not a cheap venture, as the dealer will charge you the shop labor to communicate with MB Germany regarding such. I've heard this can be as much as a grand or so by the time they're all done. They have to work with MB Germany extra sometimes to get it completed, which runs the labor up more.....

Might be easier to have an ECU tuner company to remove the speed limiter for you. Probably a lot cheaper and less hassle.

Last edited:

F2ca170

At my shop we work on a lot of sprinter vans, if anyone on here has knowledge of how to get them out of “countdown” state would you please contact me
I'm sorry, but if you guys work on Sprinters a lot, and don't know the deal about the countdown..... then you might reconsider and not work on them for people.

Spend some time to research the Sprinter SCR system and learn about the countdown if you're going to work on them. There is no quick and dirty way to remove the countdown for a customer, unless you defeat the system, and that would be illegal for your shop to do so. The countdown issue can be related to many items in the SCR system. You need the knowledge and correct tools (including software) to properly diagnosis and correct that issue for people and charge them for it. You need Mercedes Benz proprietary software to reset the countdown after the root cause has been fixed. The cost for a shop to properly obtain that software, and then subscribe to the MB server it talks too, is very very expensive.

So there's no one answer that anyone here can tell you to service that issue if your shop doesn't have the knowledge and tools to do so.

I'm not picking on you man..... it's just you should know as a shop guy that it's not that easy.

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, seems the VIN coding is required at the OEM level. I have had the van tuned and they weren't able to remove the 82 mph limit, despite a number of attempts. Wish I'd have known this earlier, as I recently had the dealer recode from HZ9 to H12, might have been able to piggyback. That said, they only charged $95 = 1/2 hour labor for the service, including comm's with Germany.

I've read what seems to be all the Star threads, much to the delay of my build, and it's not super clear where the PSM programming takes place, as in which software module, and what the required hardware is. Is anyone here writing up programs (formulas) to share? If so, I can't seem to find a thread.

My primary goal is to recreate this set-up:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=832991&postcount=10

and, maybe, address this:
https://www.expeditersonline.com/ne...-or-shut-down-the-answer-may-be-both-4223.htm

I'm leaning toward this one, as it appears to have all the features and maybe the most stability...?
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/mb-sd-connect-c4-benz-scanner.html
But then this one claims to be all the above and better...
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/mb-sd-connect-compact-5-diagnosis.html

Again, thanks for the info.

It takes MB Xentry software and a multiplexer to interface between your PC and the OBDII port. Read all the post in this thread and you will learn a lot.

As for the speed limiter..... I do not believe that Xentry can completely remove the speed limiter without having a VIN specific file to load into Xentry software that in turn unlocks the ability to REMOVE the speed limiter for that VIN only. If your van is doing anything less than 82 mph as a top limit, then it can be adjusted up to 82 mph using Xentry WITHOUT THE VIN SPECIFIC FILE. But 82 MPH will be the top limit unless MB Germany issues you a custom VIN specific file for the dealer to use with their Xentry software to remove the limiter. You can go to a MB dealer and they can request this service for you from the MB mothership, to remove the limiter. Some dealers know this.... some don't. Yet you have to prove that you are not using the van for commercial purposes. Basically you have to show that it is titled and registered in your name as a personal vehicle and/or RV. It also is not a cheap venture, as the dealer will charge you the shop labor to communicate with MB Germany regarding such. I've heard this can be as much as a grand or so by the time they're all done. They have to work with MB Germany extra sometimes to get it completed, which runs the labor up more.....

Might be easier to have an ECU tuner company to remove the speed limiter for you. Probably a lot cheaper and less hassle.

cormax

Just thought I would share some things I have done with my Chinese Clone MB Star C3. I am finding that this tool is leaps and bounds better than the iCarSoft scanner. Of course, it is more money.

I purchased it from Chen at the store "OBD" on aliexpress. Chen's english is much better than the others I tried. He gives very fast support (using the aliexpress message system). Usually within minutes. Others had a 24hour turn around, which was a royal pain. Support starts at about 8PM. He can use VNC to access your computer and fix any issues.

I purchased a full unit (C3 multiplexor, cables, CF19 laptop with preloaded Xentry/DAS software) for $600USD. If I was to do it different, I would have gotten an SSD. Bootup and Xentry startup is SLOW. Like 10 minutes slow.

Here I set the wheel size, because the speedo was not reading correctly.
what is the exact software , i have 2007 dodge sprinter

Axiom

Florida Van Man has recently acquired a 2008 Dodge Sprinter equipped with the OM642.993 and 722.908 transmission. We previously purchased a C3 to communicate with our T1Ns, but I have been unable to get it to communicate with the NCV3. Will we need to purchase the C4 to communicate with our new NCV3?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Florida Van Man has recently acquired a 2008 Dodge Sprinter equipped with the OM642.993 and 722.908 transmission. We previously purchased a C3 to communicate with our T1Ns, but I have been unable to get it to communicate with the NCV3. Will we need to purchase the C4 to communicate with our new NCV3?
My foggy memory says "Yes, you need C4 to talk to an NCV3"
my foggy memory was incorrect (as further reveals)

...but that's from an on-looker (T1N and DAD), not from a hands-on user.

--dick

Last edited:

Perchik

Your C3 should be able to communicate with the 2008 Sprinter. Are you sure that you choosing the right options? Should be CDI

Attachments

Axiom

Got it working today, appears I had a problem with my USB -> Serial (FTDI, as recommended by many threads). I was able to reinitialize the MAF values successfully and had access to developer options, many of which I couldn't read due to my lack of fluency in German.

Top Bottom