Need help diagnosing leak on transmission

This is a pic of the fluid path. It's on the other side of the torque converter inspection cover as well. Seems to be coming from inside the bell housing and It kind of looks more like transmission fluid to me than engine. Torque converter is bone dry.

Could be nothing but just wanted some opinions on how likely it's a pump/converter seal needing to be replaced. I just fixed my conductor plate/ plug and would really like not to have to fill it up just to find another leak... thought about smoke testing it but am worried about what mineral oil smoke residue will do to the transmission.

lindenengineering

Methinks you have overfilled it and there is some expulsion from the top mounted breather vent.
When this happens it runs down the drivers side of the transmission carcass and drips off the inspection plugs.
Dennis

I should add I just bought this and there are leaks everywhere... (plug, injectors, radiator, egr, turbo) which is why I'm kind of at a loss. But yes the TC plug is bone dry

But the breather vent thing is quite possible. The tab on the transmission fill was broken so someone was filling it... where is this breather vent? whats the best way to know for sure?

Thanks for the quick replies!

lindenengineering

Its mushroom or Mexican hat type breather on the top of the transmission case just aft of the bell housing joint.
You can reach it by passing your have up and over the unit to feel it .
You will get grubby doing this remember.
Dennis

Top Bottom