DEF Adblue Diesel Exhaust Fluid 10 Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMaui

Fixer of thangs
That Xentry scan page looks fake as hell.

Here's what it should look like.

I wouldn't even trust that print out! But if I were to only go with that, I'd first replace the NOx1 and teach in the SCR cats, SCR temp sensor, DEF injection nozzle and set up the "Test of Exhaust Aftertreatment" (Xentry only) and send you out to drive for 30-45 minutes. (not 100 miles)

The test makes everything adapt quicker to get to the root cause. New codes after the test help pinpoint the real problem.

Just FYI, 4 of those codes are from having the airbox removed when scanning.

Please post the results form your new diagnosis! :thumbup:

Attachments

SSMaui

Fixer of thangs
Dennis,
Can you elaborate on this? My clone Xentry stuff appears to be able to do everything except resetting a countdown (it CAN add 5 starts to it, though--I don't know how often). It certainly can do live monitoring of all sensors as far as I can see. All of the adaptations appear to be available as well. I have been following your advice about not messing with anything that I don't fully understand, so I don't know if the adaptations would actually work, but they sure look like they would. Am I in for a surprise if I ever attempt something deep?

One of the Techs on a different island has it. While it says it will do things, it actually can't once you delve into it. It crashes a lot when you try.

I do not think it will actually SCN code which is why it can only add the starts (generally once) since that doesn't require it.

I would be leary of it for anything other than reading codes and watching actual values.

lindenengineering

Yes actually we have formulated & developed by "doing" a whole test plan and driving procedure in our shop to eradicate that DEF light.
But you have to be able to SCN code the thing
Dennise

D

Deleted member 50714

One of the Techs on a different island has it. While it says it will do things, it actually can't once you delve into it. It crashes a lot when you try.

I do not think it will actually SCN code which is why it can only add the starts (generally once) since that doesn't require it.

I would be leary of it for anything other than reading codes and watching actual values.
Man, I brought one of those clone POS and gave it away. Ain't no way I am hooking it to my van.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiserro

Member Since 2013
I had the same problem twice. If you have a hard stop the fluid all goes forward in the tank and somehow out of the reservoir and shows the sensors not wetted. Bam there goes the 10 start countdown. I purchased an OBD2 module 2 clear and erase the DTC code just as if it had been done with SCN coding. Here is a link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-car-...%3A1f198bc615e0ab640d8a1250fffd31d5%7Ciid%3A7

This will reset it until the next time you have a problem. Then use it again to reset, again and again. Tied to your vehicle VIN# No more going to the dealer.

Last edited:

Kaiserro

Member Since 2013
I had the same problem twice. If you have a hard stop the fluid all goes forward in the tank and somehow out of the reservoir and shows the sensors not wetted. Bam there goes the 10 start countdown. I purchased an OBD2 module 2 clear and erase the DTC code just as if it had been done with SCN coding. Here is a link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-car-...%3A1f198bc615e0ab640d8a1250fffd31d5%7Ciid%3A7

This will reset it until the next time you have a problem. Then use it again to reset, again and again. Tied to your vehicle VIN# No more going to the dealer.

Kaiserro

Member Since 2013

D

Deleted member 50714

Looks like an advertisement!

That ad has been noticed.

It does *appear* to be a solution to the 10 start problem. Otherwise it already would have been moved to the For Sale section.

At this point the OBDII plug solution is definitely under the Buyer Beware category. Maybe some reviews will change that status.

:cheers: vic

rollerbearing

As mentioned earlier I did buy one to have in the glove box as a means of last resort in case I was ever stranded in the boondocks by the start countdown's unpredicatable behaviour. It has provided some measure of placebo effect peace of mind. I'll be sure to report back on it if I ever wind up having to use it (hopefully never).

Eka

I had the same problem twice. If you have a hard stop the fluid all goes forward in the tank and somehow out of the reservoir and shows the sensors not wetted. Bam there goes the 10 start countdown.
Looks like a money making design defect. Randsomeware in computer parlance.

D

Deleted member 50714

So, I assume the DEF X (variable) start countdown is a gooberment regulation? $299 is kind of stiff. I'm thinking more like $25. How about if I need it, I'll pay round trip One day Express plus give you $50 bucks rent? But then again, $299 versus tow or dubious service facility. Damn, I guess I'll have to pass for $299. Sure would like to see a demonstration video?

Eka

So, I assume the DEF X (variable) start countdown is a gooberment regulation? $299 is kind of stiff. I'm thinking more like $25. How about if I need it, I'll pay round trip One day Express plus give you $50 bucks rent? But then again, $299 versus tow or dubious service facility. Damn, I guess I'll have to pass for $299. Sure would like to see a demonstration video?
From the text of the product description it sounds like it is keyed to one VIN# only. I bet I could put a multi trace logic analyzer on it and figure out what it is doing. Then do the same. I just don't have the device, or multi trace logic analyzer right now.

D

Deleted member 50714

From the text of the product description it sounds like it is keyed to one VIN# only. I bet I could put a multi trace logic analyzer on it and figure out what it is doing. Then do the same. I just don't have the device, or multi trace logic analyzer right now.
Multi trace logic anal-lyzer? sorry couldn't resist. So, my experience with these electronic gadgets has been negative. For example, Ultra Gauge Blue would not fully communicate with vehicle and extensive email tech support communication failed to resolve issues. Chinese clone failed to work as advertised.

I want video showing a Sprinter with a count-down being reset with this contraption.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiserro

Member Since 2013
It works. I got the OBD2 Dongle and it reset my starts remaining. If I drive on the highway I get the fault codes again. I reset it with the OBD2 Dongle again and again. $300 is well worth the cost to me. I'll continue to troubleshoot to fix my problem. I'm going to look at the DEF nozle, because, the last thing I did before this happened was replace the DEF Tank Heater. I had the injector line plugged but the DEF may have crystallized while wiring in the new heater element. System was open for about 3 hours, enough time to crystallize the DEF. Again the OBD2 Dongle continues to work for me. Kaiserro

To me this Reset Dongle is invaluable and I'm not violating any laws. It's giving me time to sort out the problem and save $8000 that was estimated to replace the exhaust system, sensors, and nozle. We call replacing everyting the shot-gun approach. Right know $300 is less than $8000. I'm just providing a solution to an ongowing MB Sprinter problem. The dealers are not honest. Instead of identifying the problem and fix it. They take a short cut and use the shot-gun approach at your expense. Do what you need to do in your particular situation.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-car-a...%7Ciid%3A7

Last edited:
Thank you for this information. I am sitting in Mackinaw MI, having arrived in my 2013 Sprinter with ten starts left. Completed 1000 miles of a proposed 5000 mile trip. Been searching the forum for any positive experiences with start count resetting devices and/or emulators. This is the first positive experience that I have seen. As far as the cost....the closest dealer to me is a long way off....and the towing bill, even with my road service, would be way over $299.

BTW: I have 34k miles on my sprinter and this is the 4th time in 5 trips that I have seen the dreaded countdown. Last time was over 24k miles, so I thought the problem was fixed. I have 2 more campgrounds to go before I have my appointment at a dealer in Wisconsin. Would be nice to return it to a dealer that I have service with.

If I had this device, I would not have to go 400 miles out of my way, cancel campground spaces at a 10% charge, or worry that if a wildfire runs through the campground "will I have enough starts left?"

Thanks for the post. I will keep one in my GB for emergencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom