MB Extended Limited Warranty - Cost

JFloFoto

Just spoke to the Sprinter service department at Mercedes Westminster CO. The advisor there was unable to tell me what part, if any, of the emissions systems would be covered under the MB Extended 'Limited' Warranty... stressing the word 'Limited'. She indicated that without knowing which code showed up, it is impossible to tell if the part would be covered. She said the warranty person has to look everything up. I asked to speak to the warranty person but that person does not deal with customers. The standard vehicle warranty covers the emissions system to 100k miles.

The advisor gratuitously offered that she talks customers out of the MB ELW as it does not cover much. I mentioned that the finance guy I worked with said everything was covered and she responded that they don't understand how the warranty works.

Looks like I'm heading over to MB Westminster to get my $5k back.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Holy crap! Could all this really be true? Emissions concerns was the ONLY reason I have been considering extending the warranty.

JFloFoto

Holy crap! Could all this really be true? Emissions concerns was the ONLY reason I have been considering extending the warranty.
I am not done investigating. I have a message in to my salesperson and finance guy. Due to weather here in CO everyone went home early.

I will get to the bottom of this and report back. I suggest others do the same to confirm what will likely be over blown promises.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
I'm guessing she meant that she can't guarantee it'll be covered under warranty because the warranty doesn't cover wear and tear. Hoses are considered wear and tear. So would control arms. Since some aspects of the emissions system have hoses connected, she can't really guarantee it'll be covered if you have, for example, a vac leak or something.

When I talked with MB about it, it sounded like your typical limited extended warranty offered on their cars with the same types of parts covered and the same exclusions.

Will be interested to hear if you find out something different as Westminster is where I'm planning on buying my extended warranty from.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I'm guessing she meant that she can't guarantee it'll be covered under warranty because the warranty doesn't cover wear and tear. Hoses are considered wear and tear. So would control arms. Since some aspects of the emissions system have hoses connected, she can't really guarantee it'll be covered if you have, for example, a vac leak or something.

When I talked with MB about it, it sounded like your typical limited extended warranty offered on their cars with the same types of parts covered and the same exclusions.
Which words in the warranty description do you think describe emissions parts? This warranty enumerates what is covered, NOT what is excluded. Thus, it is certainly true that anything not listed is not covered. I am amazed, but i cannot find anything that describes emissions components.

Inertiaman

Which words in the warranty description do you think describe emissions parts? This warranty enumerates what is covered, NOT what is excluded. Thus, it is certainly true that anything not listed is not covered. I am amazed, but i cannot find anything that describes emissions components.
Interesting differences in the Canadian program you linked in your attachment versus the US program. Canada basically takes coverage on everything to 6 years or 100k miles for about US$1425

The US version has four levels from $1300 to $4200, as noted in my attachment.

The Canadian version seems to be a far better value.

Attachments

D K

You guys are reading into the warranty incorrectly....

2yr/125k ELW means you went from 3/36 to 5/125

Why all the confusion?

D K

Also, the emission warranty is 5/100 from the factory and even though I havent seen anything specific - I can almost guarantee you that it would be covered for the term that you are buying the ELW.
Not covering emissions opens up a huge can of worms for the automaker

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Also, the emission warranty is 5/100 from the factory and even though I havent seen anything specific - I can almost guarantee you that it would be covered for the term that you are buying the ELW.
Not covering emissions opens up a huge can of worms for the automaker
So, you are saying that you believe that they will cover items that are not enumerated in their contract? Color me skeptical.

JFloFoto

In a court of law, the ELW would be interpreted as a contract of 'inclusion.' If not specifically enumerated it is excluded from coverage.

I don't care what anyone else says. You will lose in a court if you try to dispute it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D K

So, you are saying that you believe that they will cover items that are not enumerated in their contract? Color me skeptical.
I believe its a typo on their part.
Im sceptical also.....but car makers dont deal with warranties that have holes in coverage.

Typically they have different levels of coverage ie powertrain all the way up to bumper to bumper.
Of course its a term they dont want to use because of a get-out clause but im sure that MB wants you, the customer to have an 'option' for a bumper to bumper warranty.

Im also researching a cpo option which im told is for unlimited miles and 1/2/3/4 years.
Not yet confirmed though!

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Im sceptical also.....but car makers dont deal with warranties that have holes in coverage.

Typically they have different levels of coverage ie powertrain all the way up to bumper to bumper.
Of course its a term they dont want to use because of a get-out clause but im sure that MB wants you, the customer to have an 'option' for a bumper to bumper warranty.
I would recommend using extreme caution before committing your dollars to your assumptions.

There are plenty of "typos" in MB literature. But, they don't tend to occur in legally-binding contracts.

Inertiaman

You guys are reading into the warranty incorrectly....

2yr/125k ELW means you went from 3/36 to 5/125

Why all the confusion?
Respectfully, it is you who is reading into the warranty.

Have you read the actual contract? It is quite specific: the ELW begins when the original warranty ends. So if your 3/36 ends after one year because you happened to drive 36k miles in the first year, then your 2/125 ELW lasts 2 years beginning from that date. Which effectively gives you a 3/125, not a 5/125.

Despite its naming, the USA ELW is not structured as a true extension of the original warranty. It is effectively a separate contract/warranty, with an Effective Date that begins when the original warranty ends. The Canadian contract is different, and provides a true extension/expansion of the original.

That might seem like semantics, but for many/most driving patterns, it makes a BIG difference. Examples if you buy the 2/125:
Drive 12k/year: original warranty ends at 3 years / 36k, and ELW covers 2 more years, to 5 years and 60k. So you got your 5 years. Yay.
Drive 18k/year: original warranty ends at 2 years /36k, and ELW covers 2 more years, to 4 years and 72k.
Drive 24k/year: original warranty ends at 1.5 years / 36k, and ELW covers 2 more years, to 3.5 years and 84k. Not the 5/125 you expected from the "large print" of the brochure, eh?
Drive 36k/year: original warranty ends at 1 year / 36k, and the ELW covers 2 more years, to 3 years and 108k. Again, not what you expected from the brochure, and NOT a 5/125.

I very much want to interpret the ELW as you did, and your expectation is intuitive. Unfortunately, according to the contract language, and confirmed by my MB "customer care" representative call today, your entirely reasonably expectation is wrong.

Inertiaman

!
I suggest you read the contracts linked in various posts above. The components covered are spelled out in great detail. Example: exhaust manifold is one of the components listed under the "Engine" category. You really think it was a "typo" that they neglect to mention ANY of the many components downstream from the exhaust manifold? Not a single reference to emissions or EGR or DEF or CDI or SCR or anything that is notoriously expensive should it fail.

Thankfully we have coverage for the emissions system to 5 year / 100k miles due to federal law. But it is becoming clear to me that there is no MB-direct warranty extension to cover it beyond that point.

D K

I appreciate all the comments.

Iam not taking sides and I would definitely do all my research first....!

But....I have been dealing with warranties for over 30 years....

In MY time I have only ever seen 2 types of (auto) warranties.
Add on miles starting from NOW or total miles starting from inception.
Thats MY experience SO FAR and Im happy to learn something new.

The reason why I said typo is because IN THE PAST I have come up with situations where the contract was written in a different language and the translation made things cloudy.
Full disclosure: I have no experience with the MB warranty except for the research Im doing for my own personal use.

brianszero

The MB factory warranty is a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first.. If you purchase a 1/100,000 you are now covered out to 4/100,000 of what is outlined in the MB extended warranty contract..
That's all there is to it..

Fun Facts
The emission warranty is already fixed at 5/100,000 due to the federal government.

D K

Thats precisely what I was saying a few posts back!

There is no 'modification' to the original warranty.
You buy years and milses as a combo of your choice and the warranty expires when either of those variables expires.

The MB factory warranty is a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first.. If you purchase a 1/100,000 you are now covered out to 4/100,000 of what is outlined in the MB extended warranty contract..

Fun Facts
The emission warranty is already fixed at 5/100,000 due to the federal government.

I was skeptical about the extended warranty at first because I drive about 130,000 miles a year. Now I am happy I purchased the 175,000 mile version.
I already had to replace the transmission and now at 147,000 miles the rear axle broke. In my case the extended warranty more than paid for itself.
I also purchased the 160,000 mile maintenance package. I am also happy about that. Since I bought it the price of A and B services have gone up. I am locked into the old prices so for 8 services I am saving money.

Inertiaman

As intuitive and desirable at this is, it is unfortunately FALSE unless you happen to drive <36k in the first 3 years. The original and ELW warranties DO NOT ADD. When the original ends, the extended begins. For many mileage/time scenarios, that makes a BIG difference. The examples I gave in post #34 are accurate (and confirmed by a MB representative).

Fun Facts
Yes, this has been mentioned repeatedly in this thread. But for those buying a 175k ELW with the expectation to extend emissions coverage into the 100k to 175k mile range, the ELW unfortunately fails to do so.

Top Bottom