Flood Light Bulb Replacement

The exterior 'flood' light (the one on the passenger side in the middle of the coach just below the awning) on my 2012 Unity MB appears to have burned out.

I took a look at the manual to determine how to replace the bulb. The instructions are vague on how best to 'unclip' the lens from the housing. I see what appears to be 4 clips but I don't want to start trying to loosen the lens without knowing exactly what to do.

Has anyone replaced this bulb and, if so, how did you go about doing it?

kmay

2013 Unity MB
I recently replaced the bulb. What I learned:

• The black decorative cover is secured by 4 tabs, 2 on top and left/right corners.
  • If you pinch the corners between thumb and forefinger, the cover elongates and will clear the corner tabs with a light pries using a small tip screwdriver. Once free of left and right tabs, the cover rotates on the top tabs like a hinge.
  • It is very easy to break the corner tabs.
  • Once the black cover is off, you will see 4 cross tip screws that secure the clear lens/weather gasket to the fixture base.
The bulb is a bayonet type incandescent. Oznium sells water resistant LED wafers with a handy dummy bulb connector. These would work better than the LED bayonet bulbs sold at various auto/RV retailers because the connector is separate from the wafer. You can install the wafer exactly where you wish, pointed how you wish and then connect the wired bayonet fixture. Otherwise, you are limited to the orientation and location of the fixture. On my coach, the bayonet is mounted such that flat LED bulb is oriented up. I only get reflected light.

LED low amperage draw and no heat, perfect application for porch light left on all night. Before LED, I heard stories of melted porch light fixtures .

Broken corner tab fix ideas:

• a small screw inserted in the tab slot and threaded into the lamp base. A drop of black silicone to seal the potential opening.
  • Silicone or self adhesive Velcro strips to secure the decorative cover but allow future removal.
  • Toss the cover and paint the clear lens to suite.

Thanks for the insight, kmay. I was afraid of breaking something in the process and while not envious of what happened to you, your sharing of the experience should help myself and others in the future.

Bone Head

2014 LTV Unity MB
Remember too, that the judicious application of a hair dryer for a couple of minutes makes plastic parts much more forgiving of a bit of prying.

Bob

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Kmay, did the same thing but used hot glue to fix on broken side and pressed cover into it while still hot. I don't use the gun, I just heat the end of a glue stick with a lighter and dab. If you wet your finger tip you can touch the glue while hot and it won't stick. That way you can manipulate the glue to make it look nice for the finish. I use this method to fix lots of things.

Top Bottom