Weekender 2.0 4WD Crew Build, Seating and sleeping for 4 full size adults!

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Just sold last Promaster Weekender build so I thought it time to do another personal Sprinter Build that will be similar. Goal is to sleep 4, seat 5, and make the van focused more on a daily driver than a camping only van but keep interior flexible. Like with any build, compromises always have to be made in the layout. This will also include the new CCV top for Sprinters. I will mention where I source some of the stuff to help others find what I use instead of searching threads for hundreds of hours and may discuss why I use certain resources to avoid what could be problems.

Promaster Pic; this van turned out super nice. Build thread on PM Forum.
Promaster.JPG

Thread Link (other forum sites great places to get other ideas and how to stuff, doesn't always have to be a Sprinter, they are all similar for the most part)
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50025

First step was to locate a low roof van, as you need to start with this to put a pop top on it. I don't like to use short wheelbase high roofs to sleep 4...way too tight and no room for your gear. They are much easier to convert and no hassle and costs of a pop top, but I think its a big compromise mainly because of money and time to put a top on. It is a super big pain to put a top on (time and money), but well worth it in the end and you add a lot of value. I decided to start with the Crew as this is the best arrangement if you are looking to do a weekender build as it already has a somewhat finished interior, includes factory seating, headliner, floor...later I may upgrade the seating but I wanted to show how simple it is to have a van that can transport family and have safe seating. If you take one of these, add a top and a rear bed...boom! Seating and sleeping for the whole family for under 15k! Tops are between 8-11k and a rear bed 2-4k (professional installation and fabrication). Of course a lot more can be added, but it isn't needed to convert a van to a camper for the entire family. You don't "need" solar, insulation, sound system, vented windows, captains chairs, heat.... The point is you don't have to do a 40-60k build to have a nice camper. Its kinda like remodeling your house...the sky is the limit. :)

Regarding seating why start with a crew or passenger van if you need to seat more than two? There isn't a cheap way to do safe seating correctly unless you start with factory option and if you are looking at "crash tested" seating this is the only way unless you invest into the expensive systems that have been tested and many of those are not very ideal or they are totally custom. Simple bolts and washer don't cut it if you are concerned with safety. The factory seating is by far the least expensive way to have seats and is crash tested and insurance is not an issue.

The thread will not cover to much the how too stuff step by step, many threads on this stuff but will touch on the process of the build.

First things first...give it some eye candy...gotta look good. :cheers:

BFG's and Dip'd wheels. Could have powder coated the rims, but Dipping them is an easy DIY and you can change the color in the future. I have had very good experience with this process and if you use glossifier or other treatments it will not fade. This is flat black with glossifier on top of it.
side1.JPG

Next was to start the insulation process and since I had the door panels out I figured it was time to upgrade the speakers and start the process of wiring up a fuse panel for accessories since I have everything opened up.

Insulation I use is the 3M product covering Raam Matt sound dampening. In addition I use MLV (mass loaded vinyl with open cell foam) over the wheel wells as well as key floor areas. I find this is the optimal bang for your buck materials that gives a very high end professional result and fairly easy to use. It isn't cheap and is time consuming to put in correctly, but the van ends up as quiet as the wife's Honda Pilot. Its important to use auto specific materials. You don't need to get all fancy...just use quality materials and the result will be excellent.

Door Panel-you cant use the 3M inside the door panels so it must be attached to the Panel itself rather than the door due to window clearance. The bottom of the door you can put insulation and sound mat just fine.
door insulation.JPG

And while at it upgrade the speaker components...I am putting in component speakers in the front, coax speakers in rear, 5 channel amp,sound processor, and a 12 inch sub. Adapter must be used on the front door and some trimming is needed to clear the cone with the adapter ring I got from 3D impact products on ebay. Hein also sells the 3M stuff. They make some really nice products to make installs much easier and professional, well worth the money to make the job top notch. The system components for this run around $1k+lots of labor, dealer add for fading to rear, and some pins for the harness. Other threads cover this very well on the how to and stereo forums cover installation. The sound processor is needed so you can convert the factory stereo sound to a much better signal to your amp. This is a must if you want quality sound while keeping the factory head unit. The end result is amazing and you have stealth in what is a high end sound system. Amazing sound quality is not in your Sprinter! This is a major project and can take one to two days to complete if not longer depending on speakers and placement of them. Its for sure an advanced skill. I get my stuff from Crutchfield because then I know its under factory warranty. Their service and tech support is excellent so if you are DIYing a stereo I strongly recommend them just for the tech support; but you are going to pay a little more than finding the stuff from a grey market channel.

To do the electrical you do have to take your van apart a bit to run wires properly. In the front floor you can use the factory conduit to run your electrical cables from the upfitter connections from driver to passenger seat which is where I am installing all the electronics and fuse panel. Its a lot of stuff and I want it out of the way but also still have access through the side panel for maintenance.

Floor
front floor.JPG

6/5 inch mid range Speaker in door panel
speaker upgrade.JPG

Last edited:

Kimo

Your PM looked very nice in person. I'm sure your Sprinter is going to be sweet!

I'm looking to do something similar as you as far a audio goes. Did the dealer charge you to enable the fader control on the stereo? Which pins did you use?

btw: I got the battery mounted on the tray in my van. Just planning out on how to attack the wiring for the aux system and fuse block. Thanks again.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I can't remember, but there is a thread that has all of the info for audio...I think someplace in this thread...or do a search you find all you need.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34948

FYI for those thinking about a major stereo upgrade...what are you in for:

When I purchased the van the dealer enabled the rear fader. I had this done for a customer on another van and dealer charged me $80 bucks, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Make sure you use a audio processor to your amp otherwise your system is going to sound horrible. As usual, use a quality class D amp. This along with the processor will make the most difference, more than the speaker upgrade almost. Clean signal and power is the foundation for nice sound. I have ran stock speakers with a good amp and signal and the result was superior compared to just changing speakers. But adding an amp and processor is a totally different level of work and money. The end result is really nice and well worth it however if you want your system be at a high level. Figure you will spend around $1000 for decent audio components + cabling/fuses, and of course your time. Easily can hit $2000 if you do high end components, but for $1000 your system will be very nice, more than sufficient and very clean and loud inside. (good amps alone are $400-600) At the same time its important that sound proofing and dampening is done so you take advantage of the audio upgrade. As long as your comfortable with the electrical stuff its all pretty straight forward. Figure at least a 2-3 full days for a clean professional installation done correctly. Maybe a another day if you have to build a custom sub box. The nice thing however is you have a stock head unit, so the stereo is totally stealth and will keep thieves from breaking in to get your audio. This is why shops charge so much, it really does take a lot of time to properly run stuff and advanced installation skills including some minor custom modifications need to be done to mount and fit everything properly.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Kimo...just follow the instructions for the Isolator...I would recommend 2 Guage wire from your house battery to the isolator then to your battery. Also use this gauge for the ground also. There is a grommet you can pass through on the firewall for your + wire. Negative you an ground at the battery in the wall...I think there is a spot for this already under the hood. It's pretty straight forward. Also make sure you fuse it for sure! I use a 150 AMP buss fuse that can be reset as well as it works great for a disconnect when you need it. Then run a separate wire 2 or 4 gauge to your fuse block, again properly fusing that line also. Then you are good to go! You will need a special crimp tool for the large cables, the rest of what you need you likely have in a well equipped tool box. Multi-Meter of course is helpful.

Vanzer Pagen

Slamit, do you do guided tours? I'm in OC and getting my 4x4 144 Cargo low roof late November, could use some experienced pointers. Went that route (cargo) so I could install my own windows, add a pop-top, and not pay extra for the crew interior which as I understand the headliner is lost in the pop top addition(?)
Big issue though is getting a factory seat just in case I want to transport extra bodies.
Anyway, thanks for this thread. Sound system is on my list as well.

Kimo

Korey, thanks for the tips!

I suck at the wiring projects. But the aux battery install situation might not be so bad.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Slamit, do you do guided tours? I'm in OC and getting my 4x4 144 Cargo low roof late November, could use some experienced pointers. Went that route (cargo) so I could install my own windows, add a pop-top, and not pay extra for the crew interior which as I understand the headliner is lost in the pop top addition(?)
Big issue though is getting a factory seat just in case I want to transport extra bodies.
Anyway, thanks for this thread. Sound system is on my list as well.
Headliner is not lost in a pop top with CCV; if you choose not to take out the entire roof (you will see this in my build), the crew however gives you factory seating...a safety issue for some if you want your seating crash tested or an issue with insurance. Putting in aftermarket seating correctly and safely can be very expensive to do if done correctly. Floor must be reinforced significantly. A few large bolts and washers are not optimal, but its all up to the level of safety you are comfortable with. If you have a crew you do have option of purchasing a plate that fits a few captains chairs and is DIY solution from a van seat supplier on web: but you need to have the factory mounts that are only available on crew and passenger van and even then they supply brackets to reinforce the factory mounts on the plate. Sorry I don't do any how to clinics, just not enough time; but plenty of information in the forums to answer all your questions and how to stuff. If you want to see a CCV top however I will have the new top on my van by mid December if you want to check it out and compare with the other tops since you are close. Its worth a comparison; big differences between CCV and SMB before you plunk down a big chunk of cash. Well worth the comparison; I cannot tell you how many see the CCV top after they did their SMB and can't believe how much bigger, stronger, (no flex) and built they are. To be fair there are a few key functional differences between the tops; such as the bed of the SMB top attaches to the top vs CCV they have to be stacked on each other to get the head space. The CCV one is WAY larger in every aspect and well worth the comparison. You also can put a van on the CCV top. There is a very long wait however to get the vans done with tops, everyone is super booked up well into spring. Just send me a PM when in December if you want to check it out. Its something with either company you will want to book soon otherwise it might be next fall to get it put into your van.

This is an old video/build, but gives you an idea of the CCV design differences.

https://youtu.be/pFIGamcpL1c

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Korey, thanks for the tips!

I suck at the wiring projects. But the aux battery install situation might not be so bad.
Kimo-if you put in the tray, you can do the wiring; just follow the instructions. I also did a how to in the Promaster Forum...that would be similar to what you are doing. It's old, and I have improved on a few things big time, but the concept is the same, your battery instead of under the seat is in the engine compartment (which is ideal).

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39274

Vanzer Pagen

Slamit, thanks for the offer to see the CCV pop top. If I can't find one in OC, I 'll ping you in December. Guess I can find installers on their website?
Regarding the passenger seat: Could swear that sales guy told me the slots for the seats were in the cargo, but I would need the factory rails and hardware to install a factory seat. I hope he's right. Have factory rails, looking for seat.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Ok finally downloaded an app so I an update on the forum much easier especially with pics. Just figuring it out...Gen Xer, not totally up to speed on app stuff.

Have been super busy and trying to get to the van when I can between builds. Some quick photos...CCV top is on, custom sliding seat track is installed with the reinforced floor for seat mounts. (Yes its super expensive, time consuming, but by far the only way to safely have custom seats mounted)

Installed D2 heat, rear bed is 90% done, sound system just needs a few more speakers and I am on the home stretch if I can just find some time to work on my van! Will post more pics soon since I got this app figured out. :smirk:

Some quick CCV Top Pics, this is their NEW Sprinter Top-fits way better than the old fiberine one.

Pics of some of the fabrication of seat mounts. 1/4 inch plate, 60 welds = some very strong seat mounts that are 100% integrated into the body. The track allows the seats to slide up/down the van for custom seating options. Done this on my last few builds, its super trick and totally custom and most importantly done right. No holes, no washers, no bolts/nuts. Floor then is floated to be level with the tracks. I will post more on this as I finish up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Slamit,

That looks like a really secure seat mount but how much does it all weigh?

I reckon 1/4" steel plate weighs 10 lb/sqft so if you've got say 4 foot by 4 foot then that's 160 lb of steel plate in there!

That's not going to help your overall weight much.

Just my thoughts.
Keith.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Seat mounts are not about weight but safety. Compromising because of costs, weight, or ease of installation as a trade off to me is not a trade off that is worth it. We do have cargo vans not racing cars right? :smirk:

Most that are not for secure systems is due to strictly costs from my experience. They don't want to pay a few thousand for proper seat mounts for their captains chairs. This in my opinion is the wrong thinking...it's your family! This is fabrication that requires an high level of skill due to the thin galvanized sheet metal, super easy to burn through and not get the proper welds in the right places, which means it's expensive if you can't do it yourself. The rails are custom. Its over built for sure, but this is the only way to do it right in my opinion unless you have access to some of the euro systems (Unwin for example) and follow the exact install instructions which likely means you cant mount the seats in the exact spots you want them to be mounted, but they are less expensive but require a million holes to be drilled into your floor and with labor it's a wash and some are not tested officially in sprinter.

sprinterPaul

Hi Slamit,

Are you just gluing the grey carpet directly to the wheel well and window surround? If so what kind of glue?

thanks,

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
For maximum sound deadening on my builds I go the extra mile...I lay down Raam Mat, then a layer of mass loaded vinyl with open cell foam layer, then I cover it. You have to use an commercial quality glue if doing the layering method I use for maximum sound elimination. I use the same glue that you would use for fabric tops on classic cars; you need a gun to spray it and its sold only through specialty shops for the most part in 1 or 5 gallon cans. The end result along with other materials I use is superior result in sound dampening as well as excellent insulation properties. MLV is crazy good or sound dampening, but can only ideally be used on a floor in a van due to its weight. Super expensive stuff also, especially if you have to ship it, but the best product for really stopping sound. My vans are crazy quite. Raam Matt, 3M Automotive Thinsulate, and MLV are the products I use. I find this combination superior to all others AND the product is intended for automotive use. Its expensive, but the results are evident and I know the right product was used for the application.

I use this type of glue on all my panels. Its is much stronger than anything out of a can. I don't think you can get a decent result with a can if working with MLV and doing the layers I do, but with grey cloth only it should be work ok. Just use a lot of the high temp can stuff on both contact surfaces.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Been super busy doing other builds so I finally got the chance to finally finish my next shop project!

Got to getting outrun in some heat

This also shows how mu cubbies are also upholstered inside. I still have the end panels to finish. Heat is nice luxury however for sure.

Some eye candy

Steps/nerf bars

BFGs

Light bar

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Rear bed with cubbies and removable panell

I will finish the end panels today

slamit

www.cacampervan.com

Cubbies over wheel well. I find 23 inches a good height to clear gear and coolers perfectly as well as still easy to get on the bed

Custom removable panels and cushions

Top Bottom