T1N Engine Rattling, safe to drive?

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I used some silicone caulking on mine. Lasted a few days at low mileage. I would fear removing the ring due to balance issues.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The ring is asymmetrical with material removed at a specific point. Once it's moved the balancing benefit is lost although the damping is still there if its bonded with the rubber. It's purpose is to prevent fatigue failure of the crank and pulley over hundreds of thousands of miles. Driving a few hundred miles under low load will have little or no impact on the life of the engine.

alexk243

KulAdventure
So I have no reception and Wi-Fi but I guess I reached the same conclusion that you guys did. I drove 50 miles on it to an awesome diesel mechanic shop and they took the belt off and removed the ring. They also made sure the harmonic balancer was on there tight. After that (10 mins or so haha) I headed back and made the last 500 miles or so safely. Noticed a lot higher vibration as I approached 70 mph so stayed well below that.

You can see the ring removed on the floor of the shop by the driver door.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Sorry I could only check it when I was at a place with Wi-Fi

Now my next question is what harmonic balancer is recommend for replacement? I am fine paying more so this does not happen again. Any thoughts?

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Order from a dealer. Don't buy anything aftermarket (Doorman etc). It will fail and there's no savings.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Order from a dealer. Don't buy anything aftermarket (Doorman etc). It will fail and there's no savings.
Dealer wanted $680 for it...

Corteco from Euro parts is around $280, is the Corteco one good enough or do I need to pay up for the OE dealer one?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

alexk243

KulAdventure
Alright, since I am getting in there to replace the harmonic balancer, is there anything else I should replace while I am in there to make sure I dont get stranded? Pulleys? belts? etc...

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Inspect the alternator clutch, idler pullies, and tensioner for condition. Replace as needed. Usually after 100-150k miles they are fairly worn.

Last edited:

alexk243

KulAdventure
I am going to go ahead and replace belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pump while I am in there... Not much money and some peace of mind.

How do you inspect the alternator clutch?

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Spin it back and forth with your hand. It should freewheel one way, and lock the other. Good call with the other parts. Cheap insurance.

lindenengineering

Just make sure you replace the crank seal, the bolt and the stepped cone washer.
Then ensure you can lock the crank with a tool and tighten it up correctly so that it doesn't fall off!
Dennis

alexk243

KulAdventure
POSTED TWICE (in multiple topics I was commenting it):

So I was able to knock out the harmonic balancer (seal, bolt, washer), water pump, pulleys, tensioner, serpentine belt in an afternoon. Didn't have to remove the radiator or swing it out. Just add some space like most people have done on here.

So I didnt buy the big torque wrench though... was able to get the old one off easily enough without a puller (hammer, pry bar, etc...). I went to a local diesel shop in Chicago equipped with my parts and asked him how much to just install the HB and torque it down, he wanted $700+ (6 hours of work), so I said no thanks Ill do the whole thing in less time, including water pump etc. However I did ask him if I get it tight enough would he torque it down for me and he said yeah for $40, which I am ok with. He has a 600 ft-lb torque wrench for semi trucks so should work. The place is under a mile from my house so I think it will be find if I get the HB as tight as I can with a breaker bar.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Yeah haha, but keep in mind I had a shop remove it and they re-torqued the HB bolt for my drive home.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

2000 208 CDi MWB Bus & 2005 313 CDi 4mWB Crew Van
I am yet to confirm if my vehicle has a Harmonic Balancer but it does look like it has one to me, yet to confirm tho'. Looks and feels fine if it is one!

My issue is that I have a partial LHM and identical sound to the video in this thread.

I also have a fault code P0008 and have started a thread about my partail LHM & slight rattle.

All info. in this thread very useful so thanks to everyone :cheers:

Top Bottom