Shorter Parking Brake Cable for 144

sprinterPaul

I am in the middle of adding swivels and shorter bases to my van. 2016 144WB.

I discovered I absolutely must have the "folding" brake lever to be able to clear the driver swivel.

It's been easy to find posts that cover all of the part numbers and such required. However I am going to need the shorter brake cable. All of the part number and part catalogs I can find list the cable for the 170WB. Are they identical between the 144 and 170? Or is there a part number that someone has?

I tried forcing the current cable to the lower position but it keeps pushing the grommet through the floor and while it "works"; the cable housing is clearly too long and rubs on the front fuel tank metal shield.

For reference here are the part numbers for all the folding "parts"

906-910-79-00 Passenger seat console
906-910-73-00 Driver’s seat console
906-420-03-12 Brake lever
906-427-06-34 Brake covering
906-427-01-20 Brake handle
906-420-54-85 Brake cable (Descriptions list for 170WB) Not explicit reference for or against 144.

Thanks in advance!

sprinterPaul

Was able to get the answer from Europarts-SD.com!

Genuine Mercedes Benz - Front Parking Brake Cable (Folding) 170" W/B 2011-2017
EPN: 906 420 55 85

Genuine Mercedes Benz - Front Parking Brake Cable (Folding) 144" W/B 2011-2017
EPN: 906 420 54 85

LooseRocks

I tried forcing the current cable to the lower position but it keeps pushing the grommet through the floor and while it "works"; the cable housing is clearly too long and rubs on the front fuel tank metal shield.
The shorter cable will probably fix the fuel tank rubbing issue. I still had issues with it wanting to push the grommet through the floor.

Question for you all. If I trim the plastic covers that extend down at the sides of the driver's seat and that cover the rails, and if I accept that I can only swivel the seat with the parking brake off, and if I accept the extra 2" of height, can I just use the swivels as is without these more complicated modifications? I bought the swivels from RB Components and already installed the passenger side, but would like to swivel the driver's seat too.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I purchased folding handle but did not installed it yet. I can use the swivel seat with the parking brake off - level in the lower position. I prefer to have the parking brake on and the folding handle installation is on my to do list.

George.

I purchased folding handle but did not installed it yet. I can use the swivel seat with the parking brake off - level in the lower position. I prefer to have the parking brake on and the folding handle installation is on my to do list.

George.
Did you buy factory parts per the numbers Paul listed above? Or was there a kit you got somewhere? Did you have to change the cable? Just trying to understand how complicated this kid would be. A folding handle sounds pretty good in general terms.

GeorgeRa

Did you buy factory parts per the numbers Paul listed above? Or was there a kit you got somewhere? Did you have to change the cable? Just trying to understand how complicated this kid would be. A folding handle sounds pretty good in general terms.
I has been a while, I only bought folding handle and cover, can’t check part numbers during the far away trip. I did follow parts listed earlier on this forum, I believe used info from LooseRocks.

THE

2018, 144, HR, 4x4
Bump

2018 144 HR, 4x4

What, what, what? I am about to embark on the folding handle journey that I believe should be in every swivel seat installation journey!

I ordered the parts for the 144. Are we sure this isn't a Jeep in disguise? Just empty every pocket

Any pics?

THE

Last edited:

THE

2018, 144, HR, 4x4
Ha Ha, the folding handle itself. I literally could not find an image of it anywhere yesterday. You type in Sprinter and well, it can be tough to find what you're looking for.

I'm trying to see how it works, can't imagine it yet in my head. I'll have all the parts by mid week next week.

TH

GeorgeRa

I am in the midst of installation with the seat removed so I took these pictures of the folding lever. See 2 up and down positions.

When I installed the Sportscraft swivel’s handbrake lowering bracket I didn’t change the brake release cable so I assume this folding lever will not require a new cable.

I hope to finish this installation this weekend.

Attachments

sprinterPaul

Ha Ha, the folding handle itself. I literally could not find an image of it anywhere yesterday. You type in Sprinter and well, it can be tough to find what you're looking for.

I'm trying to see how it works, can't imagine it yet in my head. I'll have all the parts by mid week next week.

TH

It works like your normal handle but when the brake is locked ( in handle up position) you can push it down to swivel.

Allows you to get up on ramps to level van and still keep brake locked. Then swivel your chair.

You simply pull back up to engage and then press button and push down again to release the brake.

I had to go to the shorter cable. The longer cable would just shove grommet out of the floor.

If u need pic installed I can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPT

It works like your normal handle but when the brake is locked ( in handle up position) you can push it down to swivel.

Allows you to get up on ramps to level van and still keep brake locked. Then swivel your chair.

You simply pull back up to engage and then press button and push down again to release the brake.

I had to go to the shorter cable. The longer cable would just shove grommet out of the floor.

If u need pic installed I can find one.

I'm pretty certain mine shoved the grommet out too, but I haven't felt like lying in the snow to check. Seems like many have gone with the lowered bracket and managed to get the cable to slide through though. Since the handle is pointed down with the new bracket A - I find it less in the way when I move about without the brake engaged, and B - I'm pretty sure you can still swivel with the brake engaged. This was the bracket from Alpine Mechanisms.

sprinterPaul

I'm pretty certain mine shoved the grommet out too, but I haven't felt like lying in the snow to check. Seems like many have gone with the lowered bracket and managed to get the cable to slide through though. Since the handle is pointed down with the new bracket A - I find it less in the way when I move about without the brake engaged, and B - I'm pretty sure you can still swivel with the brake engaged. This was the bracket from Alpine Mechanisms.

I have a lower seat base. That's part of the issue too. It's much lower than the lowering bracket. Forgot to mention that.

With the brake up the handle is in the way and there's no way it will swivel. That being said I don't have the same setup as you. Maybe it works with stock base and alpine swivel.

Top Bottom