05 om647 in 03 sprinter?

FINNDIAN

I have a complete 2005 donor vehicle to fix my 2003 with engine issues. I had hoped to do a complete motor and trans installation, plug and play but now understand there are differences.
If this is the case. Could I transfer the 05 ecm or if that isn't feasible, bolt the om612 fuel system etc on the om647 block?

sent from my wicked android thingy.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder

FINNDIAN

Then possibly I could put all the bolt ons from the 612 on the 647 block including injectors and if the block won't accept the low pressure pump I could use an in line lift pump?
Would be nice if I could just use the 647 as is with harness and computer but assume I would have a problem with the computer jiving with the rest of my van

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Would be nice if I could just use the 647 as is with harness and computer but assume I would have a problem with the computer jiving with the rest of my van
Yes. The OM647 and OM612 computer controllers (ECM aka ECU) are way too different to work on a different model range T1N.

vic

lindenengineering

No
Simply because the HP injection pump aperture in the head is different the older head and some minor chain guide differences. AND the exhaust valves are sized differently
Dennis

FINNDIAN

So high pressure pump won't transfer either.
I Assume I can't use the 647 pump and 647 injectors with the 612 computer?
If I have to take the head off I may as well just rebuild the 612 and drive the newer van.

FINNDIAN

According to this info the 647 injectors work with the 612 computer and the hp pump will transfer. Strange it doesn't work in the opposite direction.

Some info. Thanks goes to azzm3. :thumbup:

Yes the injector connectors are the same and are triggered by OM647 ECU with no issues.
Complete fuel rail from OM647 is also transferred over. You change the front plate where the low pressure pump mounts with one from OM647. Also OM647 high pressure pump is used and it does mount up like its suppose to. In simple terms you strip OM612 to block and head leaving injectors in and dress it up with OM647 components wiring,turbo,rail,pump etc. Everything functions like it should with no warning lights and limp modes (I use DRB3 for all diag on T1n). I have driven swaps like these cross country with no issues.

This is a reply to Aqua Puttana

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
According to this info the 647 injectors work with the 612 computer and the hp pump will transfer. Strange it doesn't work in the opposite direction.

:idunno:

I interpret your question a couple posts above for using a OM647 head on a OM612 engine.

I interpret what Dennis said was the head won't work.

I didn't interpret that answer as the other stuff not working. If the high pressure pump and fuel rail transfers from the OM647 to the OM612 then it pretty much must go the other way too. Maybe not. See below.

Try to be specific with the questions. It may get a bit clearer information.

vic

Added:
Do your research before going too far.

Some input from Doktor A.

It appears you are asking whether a 647 long block (cylinder head included) can be used.

The complication you have is mounting and driving the mechanical feed pump and the 612 high pump.

The 647 intake cam lacks the drive extension for the 612 feed pump and the 647 upper chain ramp plate lacks the opening and threaded mounting holes for the feed pump.

The 647 cylinder heads' bolt pattern for the high pump will not allow mounting of your 612 high pump.

Doktor A
And comments by Dennis Lindenengineering that the lower end is ok.
Rule of thumb
Everything above the block is different including the FI equipment .
Dennis
No
Simply because the HP injection pump aperture in the head is different the older head and some minor chain guide differences. AND the exhaust valves are sized differently
Dennis

Last edited:

lindenengineering

So high pressure pump won't transfer either.
I Assume I can't use the 647 pump and 647 injectors with the 612 computer?
If I have to take the head off I may as well just rebuild the 612 and drive the newer van.

The newer injectors will work!
Dennis

FINNDIAN

Sorry if I wasn't clear somewhere.
I had hoped to use the complete 647 engine in place of the blown 612.
I see I did say "block" earlier maybe I should have said "long block.
Correct me if I'm wrong but here is what I'm gathering may work.

647 long block with 647 injectors
612 hp pump
612 intake, turbo, egr, and maybe exhaust manifold.

Still unsure about lift pump maybe it well mount to 647 or I may have to use an in line unit?

Does you guys think this could work?

jazzbeast

Finndian did you attempt this? I have a perfect low mileage om612 in my 03, and a bad motor that needs a complete rebuild in my 05. I know that the ECM is different but I have all the necessary components from the donor vehicle for a swap.

Top Bottom