Will an 03 TN1 engine work in a 06 TN1 van?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Most of the accessories and intake manifold will need be swapped for the 04+ versions, this includes the turbo. The entire fuel system including injectors will need to be the OM647 versions. The core engine is interchangeable from my understanding.

Last edited:

Re: Will an 03 T1N engine work in a 06 T1N van?

Most of the accessories and intake manifold will need be swapped for the 04+ versions, this includes the turbo. The entire fuel system including injectors will need to be the OM647 versions. The engine is interchangeable from my understanding.
That is my understanding.

The basic engine is the same.

You cannot swap a removed 2003 OM612 engine complete into a 2006 to replace a OM647 engine.

If you have all the parts from the OM647 engine then the parts should be able to be swapped over to the stripped OM612 engine.

I have not done such a swap.

One caveat may be that all of the threaded bosses or attachment points may not be there for every OM647 component.

Added:
There may be an issue with the mechanical fuel pump assembly on the OM612.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

azzm3

Yes it's possible and has been done before. You use 03 long block with 03 injectors because the pistons are different in 04+. I have done this before let me know if you need more info.

Yes it's possible and has been done before. You use 03 long block with 03 injectors because the pistons are different in 04+. I have done this before let me know if you need more info.
If not too much trouble to answer, for future reference.

I assume the OM612 injectors can be triggered/controlled by the OM647 ECM. Are the injector connectors the same? Does the OM612 fuel rail and solenoid remain?

Does the OM612 low pressure mechanical fuel pump get left unused in place, or is a block plate of some sort used?

Does the OM612 high pressure fuel pump remain in use? (I was thinking that the OM647 high pressure pump had a electrical connection not found on the older style OM612.)

Any other issues you care to share?

Thanks in advance.

vic

azzm3

Yes the injector connectors are the same and are triggered by OM647 ECU with no issues.
Complete fuel rail from OM647 is also transferred over. You change the front plate where the low pressure pump mounts with one from OM647. Also OM647 high pressure pump is used and it does mount up like its suppose to. In simple terms you strip OM612 to block and head leaving injectors in and dress it up with OM647 components wiring,turbo,rail,pump etc. Everything functions like it should with no warning lights and limp modes (I use DRB3 for all diag on T1n). I have driven swaps like these cross country with no issues.

This is a reply to Aqua Puttana

Great input!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the information. It should be very valuable for forum members as the T1N's age out.

Yes the injector connectors are the same and are triggered by OM647 ECU with no issues.
Complete fuel rail from OM647 is also transferred over.
:thumbup:

You change the front plate where the low pressure pump mounts with one from OM647.
So safe to assume that it works the other way too?

Also OM647 high pressure pump is used and it does mount up like its suppose to. In simple terms you strip OM612 to block and head leaving injectors in and dress it up with OM647 components wiring,turbo,rail,pump etc. Everything functions like it should with no warning lights and limp modes (I use DRB3 for all diag on T1n). I have driven swaps like these cross country with no issues.

This is a reply to Aqua Puttana
And vise versa for OM612 to OM647.

Thanks again.

:cheers: vic

Added:
Do your research before going too far.

Some input from Doktor A.

It appears you are asking whether a 647 long block (cylinder head included) can be used.

The complication you have is mounting and driving the mechanical feed pump and the 612 high pump.

The 647 intake cam lacks the drive extension for the 612 feed pump and the 647 upper chain ramp plate lacks the opening and threaded mounting holes for the feed pump.

The 647 cylinder heads' bolt pattern for the high pump will not allow mounting of your 612 high pump.

Doktor A
And comments by Dennis Lindenengineering that the lower end is ok.
Rule of thumb
Everything above the block is different including the FI equipment .
Dennis
No
Simply because the HP injection pump aperture in the head is different the older head and some minor chain guide differences. AND the exhaust valves are sized differently
Dennis

Last edited:

FINNDIAN

I am curious of the reverse swap also and had started a thread asking this. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50846
I'm about to swap a 647 in place of a 612. Which injectors to use, etc.

sent from my wicked android thingy.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Complete fuel rail from OM647 is also transferred over. You change the front plate where the low pressure pump mounts with one from OM647. Also OM647 high pressure pump is used and it does mount up like its suppose to.
This is very interesting. This means the OM612 injectors (and pistons) will be running at a higher fuel pressure than they were designed for.

Its also interesting, and thanks for posting, about this difference in pistons. I had asked on here before about whether or not OM647 injectors could be used on an OM612, and it seems the answer is no.

This is very interesting. This means the OM612 injectors (and pistons) will be running at a higher fuel pressure than they were designed for.

Designed for, or used with? There must be a range.

They may be capable of higher pressures than MB decided to use with the OM612 system.
I haven't seen the Bosch specs for the OM612 injectors, or OM647 for that matter.

vic

Top Bottom