Strange engine issues after fuel filter change.

stevo2012

Hello. 2003 dodge spinter 3500 is encountering odd things after getting a fuel filter change. After the replacement the filling be an to occur:
-Engine remains ideling for a few seconds after turning off the ignition.
-Check engine light.
-Throttle sometimes cuts while decending, requiring the ignition to be turned off and back on which resolves the issue.
-Sometimes climbing hills the engine doesn't want to drop into low gears, stays in 3rd or 4th unless you cut the engine in the same way as before.

Also after the replacement an issue with being in a lesser form of limp mode was resolved.

I got the codes run on the CEL and it was brought back with:
P0100, mass air flow sensor, P1190 fuel pressure solenoid plausibility, and also the 5th glow plug being bad, but I already knew that.
Any ideas about where to go next? Replace Mass airflow sensor? Thanks for any ideas.

Stephen

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Look at the clear (likely yellowed) fuel lines - is there air in your fuel system? It will be a solid clear color while the engine is running, but white/foamy if there is air in the system.

stevo2012

Would I see the bubbles when it is just ideling or do I need someone to press on the throttle? I'm seeing no foam as of yet. Secondly if I'm looking at the fuel filter where would I be looking for the wiring harness? Left right below, etc... Thanks y'all!!

stevo2012

Also worth noting, the mechanic that ran the codes seems to think the symptoms are unrelated to the fuel filter being changed but if seems unlikely considering how cause and effecty it was...

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The wiring harness in question is below and behind the fuel filter. It's wire tied to a metal bar that might have rusted and created small spikes poked into the wires causing random shorts. People often clip the wire ties, wrap the area in rubber and re wire tie it back together.

I've done this update on 6 Sprinters, including my own.

stevo2012

I'm noticing a number of wires there. Are they in a cluster and do I need to remove the fuel filter to access them?

Top Bottom