Grease cap sealant

mrcolin2u

2005 Sprinter
I accidentally dropped a front wheel when removing for brake inspection and dented the bearing grease cap. I have a new replacement but according to the 2005 service manual I should half fill with grease and use a sealant on the edge of the cap. Any suggestions for what is best grease to use, I have not touched bearings at all, and what sealant to put around cap ?
cheers
Colin

I accidentally dropped a front wheel when removing for brake inspection and dented the bearing grease cap. I have a new replacement but according to the 2005 service manual I should half fill with grease and use a sealant on the edge of the cap. Any suggestions for what is best grease to use, I have not touched bearings at all, and what sealant to put around cap ?
cheers
Colin
My opinion would be that any good quality heavy duty wheel bearing grease for filling the cap would be fine. Unless the bearings heat up that grease should never migrate into the bearings anyway.

I would use Permatex #2 Sealant on the cap because I have it on hand. Most any automotive sealant will work, or just use a good coating of heavy duty wheel bearing grease. It isn't like the cap will ever be under significant pressure.

:2cents: vic

mrcolin2u

2005 Sprinter
My opinion would be that any good quality heavy duty wheel bearing grease for filling the cap would be fine. Unless the bearings heat up that grease should never migrate into the bearings anyway.

I would use Permatex #2 Sealant on the cap because I have it on hand. Most any automotive sealant will work, or just use a good coating of heavy duty wheel bearing grease. It isn't like the cap will ever be under significant pressure.

:2cents: vic
Just concerned to have the caps sealed so as to not allow water in. Thanks for the info. Even though the service manual instructs to pack the grease caps half full, the caps I removed had no grease at all, but there was sealant around the lip.
thanks
Colin:cheers:

Top Bottom