2014 Cargo van - DEF/catalytic issues

Kennymoody

I have a 2014 cargo van. We have experienced issues with the DEF warning system. At first, we followed all recommended procedures once the countdown began. We even took it to a shop and had it hooked up to see if there were anymore issues. After a few weeks of keeping the DEF above minimum, we received a countdown again. We took it to the shop and they replaced two sensors. About a week has gone by and we are now receiving the warning again and only have 5 more starts. We have spent over $3k now and the mechanics are stating that the next step is to replace the catalytic converter. We have been told that the sensors for DEF are the first step to go off but there is a laundry list of issues that could be causing it to go off.

What we would like to do at this point is remove the DEF system completely.

Does anyone know anyone in the US who has ability to remove the DEF programming?

Also, if anyone has any legit suggestions, I am all ears.

Thank you!

sailquik

KennyMoody,
How many miles on your 2014 Sprinter?
Is it a 2500/316/319
or
Is it a 3500/516/519 with dual rear wheels?
Is it the 3.0 liter OM-642 V6 engine or the 2.143 liter 4 cylinder/7 speed?
Might make a big difference.
Roger

Kennymoody

Roger,

It has 140k miles.
We have the 3500 7 speed. Howver, ours only has single rear wheels. Is that possible? If not, then I am mistaken and it is the 3500.

Thanks.

Kenny

Last edited:

sailquik

Kenny,
Unless you have the super singles on the rear axle, your Sprinter would have to be a 2500/316 Series.
Send me an email and I will send you back the OEM Build Data Card for your Sprinter.
I'll need a valid return email address to email the .PDF file back to you.
Then you will ALL the available information on your Sprinter.
Did all of this happen after the 100k miles emissions warranty ran out.
That's why I asked about the mileage.
If some of the things they replaced while still in warranty you may be able to negotiate with
them.
Are you having the entire DPF replaced due to broken flex pipes on the top (at the turbocharger)
and at the back of the 2 cats where it connects to the exhaust pipe?
There should be a TSB out on the bracket that mounts the DPF canister. The bracket breaks off
on one end and the DPF moves around enough to damage/break the flex pipe connections.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Just click on sailquik at the top left hand corner of this post.
Then click on "Send email to sailquik" in the drop down box.
Be sure to include you complete VIN # and a valid return email address.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

I have a 2014 cargo van. We have experienced issues with the DEF warning system. At first, we followed all recommended procedures once the countdown began. We even took it to a shop and had it hooked up to see if there were anymore issues. After a few weeks of keeping the DEF above minimum, we received a countdown again. We took it to the shop and they replaced two sensors. About a week has gone by and we are now receiving the warning again and only have 5 more starts. We have spent over $3k now and the mechanics are stating that the next step is to replace the catalytic converter. We have been told that the sensors for DEF are the first step to go off but there is a laundry list of issues that could be causing it to go off.

What we would like to do at this point is remove the DEF system completely.

Does anyone know anyone in the US who has ability to remove the DEF programming?

Also, if anyone has any legit suggestions, I am all ears.

Thank you!
From what you are stating I don't think its a DEF system per se, but the controls at fault.
You just can't replace the NOx sensors like O2 sensors they have to be taught in--Did this happen?
The thermo couples in the system give off thermal info to make the DEF injection work correctly! Are these the latest and greatest as the NOx sensors each have a computer page memory reporting to the DEF control module which is a slave to the PCM.
Also the DEF injector MUST inject at 5000 Hpa and the system must be tested to see if its working correctly.
As any of this been done!
What I can tell you is that if you get it wrong or something else in the system goes down (which is not uncommon) then within about 300 miles or service the dormant or latent problem will surface like the ferocious Chimera and switch on the countdown!
Sometimes I feel like Bellerophon to my customers, but really its simply just knowing how it works to fix it!--BUT Not kill it!

Killing it by DEF elimination causes its own problems and I have just attended to one which causes the PCM to record a hard fault which although doesn't put the light (CEL) on it hinders diagnostic procedures MB /Bosch have in place and are picked up by a Pro scanner!!

Can you post the J/C or work order which outlines the work done?
Dennis
Mechanic

jackfish

How can someone remove the DEF system? Isn't removal of federally mandated emissions systems against the law?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
If you remove the DEF system then that would mean you also have to remove the SCR otherwise it will plug in a few hundred miles.

So have you had the SCR removed as well?

Keith.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
How can someone remove the DEF system? Isn't removal of federally mandated emissions systems against the law?
the clean air act (as amended) includes fines of up to $27000 per day.

the issue is, no one has the time or budget to enforce (yet).

if you live in an area with worse air quality, vehicle emissions inspections may prevent a violator from registering the vehicle.

mikesprints

I appreciate all he help. We found a guy in Springfield, MO, who removed the DEF system completely.
So you don't plan on selling it? You took into account this shops long list of Sprinter customers with 14' and up "DEFrectomies" and their track records of reliability? Annual emissions renewals without major headaches?......

lindenengineering

Well for what its worth.
I had a customer come by for a post purchase inspection and the rig had a DPF delete on it.
Came from Chicago where else!:thumbdown:
I asked the new owner about a valid test certificate and a certified Vin inspection.

He said he had all that, so I marked it as OK on the 25 point check sheet!
In fact he had a certification done by a valid Denver Metro approved test station. A friend of a friend of his--O-KAY!:thinking:

A year later that station wasn't open so he asked where we take our rigs!
The service writer told him and he presented it there!
FAILED!
AND REPORTED
Emission system deleted and the station reported for fudging tests.
Turds float up to the surface of the punch bowl! --- Eventually!:idunno:
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

My two cents. Curious as to where you took your Sprinter for diagnosis and repair? Do they have the proper dealer level diagnostic or equivalent equipment and access to Mercedes technical repair publications?

What are their credentials i.e. training, knowledge, experience and competence specific to Sprinter's? How do they know the sensors were defective? Did they preform tests? Can the sensors be tested?

What is the extent of your mechanical knowledge, abilities, financial resources, motivation to learn and become a informed/knowledgeable Sprinternik? Otherwise, as one respected forum member is fond of saying, expect frequent "Wallet Flushings!"

The Sprinter is a sophisticated electro-chemical-mechanical organism. A sweetie when running perfect but I guess, from reading, a fickle and quirky beast at times. She's equipped with sophisticated, recently developed yet perfected emission control components requiring owner to pay attention to maintenance intervals with respect to operating conditions and operating within specific parameters.

Cavet Emptor Illegitimi Non Carborundom!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitnet

Vitnet
I had all bunch of problems all related to the DEF system, one after another. Mercedes Sprinter 2011. Eventually it came to limited startups to fix the problems. In the Shop i was told that I am looking for 7-8 thousands if shop does the work. Not even talking about Mercedes services.
Did research. Found a shop with great reputation. They reprogramed computer. Removed DEF system. 1 day deal.
All my problems - gone! It is different car now. It drives with power, save on fuel, now don't have to use Sync Mobil1 but regular oil, no speed limitation and few other things that will not bother me in the future (like Manifolds, EGR, DPF, VGT RMCR, etc)
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
:thumbup:

Attachments

Sprinter SS

I was told by a friend that works at a Chevrolet parts department that you can order a diesel dura max in the van chassis if it is going to be used for Ambulance duty, lots of idling and can not be hampered by potentially being locked out of starts due to emission system errors.

Made me wonder if there are legal exceptions for such emission issues. Thankfully I have not had any significant emission related issues but I can see where if you let the maintenance go on many of the various components it would be out of hand.

D

Deleted member 50714

Interesting. 8 sensors, terminals, wire, plugs. I can hear them corroding as I'm sitting here. A Lot to go wrong. Yikes! This should be the main screen like the Prius.
Before I layout 8,000, I'll trade the jalopy in for a Kia.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitnet

Vitnet
I had all bunch of problems all related to the DEF system, one after another. Mercedes Sprinter 2011. Eventually it came to limited startups to fix the problems. In the Shop i was told that I am looking for 7-8 thousands if shop does the work. Not even talking about Mercedes services.
Did research. Found a shop with great reputation. They reprogramed computer. Removed DEF system. 1 day deal.
All my problems - gone! It is different car now. It drives with power, save on fuel, now don't have to use Sync Mobil1 but regular oil, no speed limitation and few other things that will not bother me in the future (like Manifolds, EGR, DPF, VGT RMCR, etc)

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Vitnet must be a robot troll as they have posted the same garbage on every old thread about DPF or DEF issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Vitnet must be a robot troll as they have posted the same garbage on every old thread about DPF or DEF issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure!

His website is AdorUSA.com the electric sliding door supplier.

Look at his profile or public page.

Top Bottom