Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder

An unfolding RSN Rumble Strip Noise cure thread

Doktor A has started a thread which indicates a cure for the transmission RSN aggravation may be on the way. Thanks Andy!

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8245

My comment is that if Andy's investigations prove out (personally I have no reason to think they won't) transmission fluid sump level and RSN occurrence may not be related. Being in the safe range is all that's necessary. My opinion. Time will tell. AP/vic

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
I love this forum :clapping: there is so much information here, from such helpful and knowledgeable people, thank you.:bounce:

Ryder has Shell 134 ATF meeting MB236.14 spec at a good price.
No longer stocked.

vic

Last edited:

I just tried the Ryder link and even did a search in the Ryder site. Apparently Ryder still doesn't stock Shell 134.

A search indicated that apparently the Shell 134 is available by ordering from Shell distributors in case quantites (12 ea. qt).

Steve/Europarts has a change kit which includes Fuchs 236.14 spec fluid at good price.

http://europarts-sd.com/2002-2009automatictransmissionservicekit-fuchs.asp

They have a "MB bottle" kit at slightly higher price.

Amazon has Fuchs also, but Steve's price seems better overall.

vic
If you are not looking for a transmission fluid change kit then it may be worthwhile to check your local industrial lubricant supplier. Not auto related parts stores, someone who just sells lubricants. The price per case from independents seems to run around $60 with dock pickup. MB 236.14 should be MB 236.14 no matter the brand label or the entire BEVO concept ain't worth diddly.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1452049-transmission-fluid-part-number.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1452049-transmission-fluid-part-number-2.html

Last edited:

nielson

Can someone tell me what this darf kit is all about and what to do. I have been reading about this kit and have the rumble strip noise and it is driving me nuts. help please.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I do not recommend that owners perform this fix without contacting me first.

I have found that many have misdiagnosed RSN when something else is implicated or very minor RSN.

Also the fix is contraindicated for certain driving conditions, so contact me first please.

I am very discriminating about who is eligible to receive the kit.

Doktor A

SRF

Did the DARF mod this morning. So nice not having the RSN any more. I still find myself bracing for the shutter every time I coast to a stop. Feels like it's too good to be true. wish I had more miles to drive today. I
Will have to adjust to the smooth ride...
Huge thank you to Dr. A for developing and sending me the kit and instructions.

SRF

Did the DARF mod this morning. So nice not having the RSN any more. I still find myself bracing for the shutter every time I coast to a stop. Feels like it's too good to be true. wish I had more miles to drive today. I
Will have to adjust to the smooth ride...
Huge thank you to Dr. A for developing and sending me the kit and instructions.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I have installed the DARF as well, I did not mind living with the shudder, but since the electrical connector was leaking ATF, and I wanted to pull the valve body for an inspection and possible cleaning, I decided to the the DARF. At almost 100K on my 2005 the VB was very clean and did not involve any further inspection, but removing the VB did allow me to do the DARF on my work bench. All went well and the van has not had a single shudder since the procedure. Good job Dr. A. :thumbup:

As a side note, you are required to mark an X on the spot for the procedure, if you do not wipe off the part where the procedure is to be performed, the location is pretty obvious with no measuring, and the film from the ATF clearly marks the center. If you want more details, you will have to buy the kit. :shhh:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
If you want more details, you will have to buy the kit.
I do appreciate your discretion and endorsement, but let me clarify that my goal is NOT to sell more kits.

I constantly receive DARF purchase inquiries and actually recommend to less than 20% that they buy and perform the mod.

Depending on the severity of RSN symptoms, odometer mileage, predominant type of driving, geographic location and other factors, you should not be doing the fix without contacting me.

Doktor A

Mike Horton

Andy,
You may not remember me, but you sold me an awesome engine you built to put in my companies 02 Sprinter a few years ago. I think I likely have the best motor of any T1n Sprinter on the road today. The cool thing is that I purchased this Sprinter from our company for a mere $5,000. Andnow it is all mine! I do have one small problem I hope you may be able to help me with. I have an "harmonic drive line" noise when ever I'm applying the fuel that can be quite loud. No vibration, just a whine that stops as soon as I let off the gas. Same tone through all the gears and only subsides when I reach near top speeds around 80 mph. I don't believe it is RNS.
Please let me know if you have a clue what this could be. Thanks Doc, you are the best!

I found what I think is a good overall reference for the NAG1 transmission. It is not Sprinter specific, but it contains a bunch of interesting information and details. FWIW. vic

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37436253/722-6

The above link is dead. Too bad. It was a good reference.

Added:
This link may stay live. (If you are interested in the information you should probably download it.)

A video.

Last edited:

comsigns

I just bought my first sprinter 05 158 and I've had a chronic case of rsn combined with a constant driveline vibration that seems to turn into rsn on gentle accelleration around35 mph. Ive done the redline oil/filter change and after finding the driveshaft was stiff bought a new one of those. Nothing has improved. I read the Doktor's analysis from sprinter testing hq and i'm wondering if I need this trans mod?

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I do appreciate your discretion and endorsement, but let me clarify that my goal is NOT to sell more kits.

I constantly receive DARF purchase inquiries and actually recommend to less than 20% that they buy and perform the mod.

Depending on the severity of RSN symptoms, odometer mileage, predominant type of driving, geographic location and other factors, you should not be doing the fix without contacting me.

Doktor A
Sorry Andy, just found that out after I posted the thread, that the kit is for people that actually qualify for it.

Of course I did not, and will not give away your trade secret. :cheers:

coalminer

Quick question for the experts, when I bought my 2005 with 365,000 miles on it, the transmission was shuddering really bad, bought the kit from Europarts and changed the fluid and filter, also put a new electrical connector in it. After I did that, the shudder was gone, now 20,000 miles later it is starting to come back, do you think another change is in order or is there something else I should look at?

One other think I wanted to mention, at some point the transmission was changed, as there was a Jasper sticker on the side of the pan, dont know if anyone has had experience with a Jasper transmission or not.

Thanks in advance!!!!

jb21cri

i also have a jasper replacement in my 03 158 cargo,although i don't know how many miles are on the jasper.it was a dhl van with 303,000 miles on it.i assumed it being a fleet vehicle that it was maintained on a regular schedule.i also was experiencing bad rsn to the point that i thought it might be driveshaft or suspension related,after reading on the forum and purchasing andy's kit the rsn was eliminated.i used the mild fix in the kit and replaced the converter and pan fluid as well as the connecter and filter using shell atf 134.one thing i did notice was a drop in mileage of 2-3 mpg.after 10,000 miles i do notice a very slight rsn once in a while.and unrelated intermittent flareshifts 3rd to 4th.next trans service i will try the fuchs fluid as the shell 134 is no longer available at ryder fleet services.jb.

JAM

My buddy came across this because he had to do it to his t1n. It cured his rsn completely. Hope this helps someone. http://dieselrepairblog.wordpress.com/
I am having the same shudder at top of 3rd gear. Feels like it surges or something. I am gonna change my fluid to see if it cures it.

Top Bottom