Who has a better camp site than me?

sanomechanic

Isn't the forest like 30miles up the mountains from that spot?
I drove past Shulman Grove towards the Patriarch Grove, 3 miles further down a gravel road towards Silver Canyon over next to where the Big Satellite Dishes and Antennas are. Actually higher than the BC visitor center. Still in the BC Nat Forest though

Last edited:

glasseye

I drove past Shulman Grove towards the Patriarch Grove, 3 miles further down a gravel road towards Silver Canyon over next to where the Big Satellite Dishes and Antennas are. Actually higher than the BC visitor center. Still in the BC Nat Forest though

So this is right below all the telco antennas? Fantastic site.

Any issues overnight parking at roadside pullouts?
Yes, no, kinda, sorta. The truth is that the local land owners and LEO's that patrol the area really do not want camping. That being said, if you don't appear to be setting up a "camp" and are simply pulling over to get some rest, there's less of a problem. Cops understand that this stretch of the coast is a long, twisty and dangerous place and that it would be unsafe to drive further while you're drowsy - especially a big van, at night.

Mid-week stays and winter months are a lot less crowded and not as tightly enforced as peak seasons/days. Sometimes the LEO will just sit there until you move. On one occasion, shortly after dark, a county deputy explained that if I didn't move by the time he came back I'd get a ticket. He was surprised when I asked how long that would be, he chuckled and said "as long as it takes me to drive to the county line and back". My guess is that they probably do a lap once or twice per shift.

I like to watch the sunset in one place and "rest" in another a few miles away, preferably picking a less popular/developed spot that looks like you just pulled over.

Your mileage may vary....

Eric B

@hilld the condensation shapes on the van walls on the last pic ... is that before or after you added insulation ? guessing this is sunrise after having spent the night there ?

hilld

Good catch Eric. Before insulation. As a matter of fact, that is going in this week. Been doing lots of other work such as partial AdVan kit, some other L-Track, smart floor, etc. Still haven't installed the panels I purchased from you back in Oct/Nov. Like my build title says "slow roll".

Eric B

No worries @hilld ... must have been nipply ... beautiful pics btw ! I have yet to put a heater in mine, or battery bank, or solar, or ... lol ... it's a journey ...

Top Bottom