Who has a better camp site than me?

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Bit of a thread sidetrack, but somewhat on topic.

What camping resources are up to date recently? Asking for experience and the region. Wikicamps? ioverlander? Freecamps website? Obviously I can consult BLM and FS maps, but that is fairly time consuming.
We've been using the $$$$ Garmin Overlander GPS with its listings of dispersed, NFS, BLM, etc. campings. 90% of camping locations are still there while some have overgrown, dilapidated or even tooooo far into the wilds without exactly telling you what to expect. 95% of BLM or dispersed are pretty empty. The Overlander even has topographic maps that indicate side roads you could traverse.

So far so good.

Chose "Ultimate Public Campgrounds"

It currently shows of where you are within 50 miles. As soon as you move it will follow within you anywhere in the USA, Canada, Mexico.

Topographic maps of my current location

It's been a great unit, saves time, gives you info about the site you have chosen. BUT we also still consult paper maps!

Cheers...

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Bit of a thread sidetrack, but somewhat on topic.

What camping resources are up to date recently? Asking for experience and the region. Wikicamps? ioverlander? Freecamps website? Obviously I can consult BLM and FS maps, but that is fairly time consuming.
Hi, I noticed this week that Google Maps is showing red campground icons for ones they believe are closed, and green icons for supposedly open.
And most have a link to the web site for more info.

Might be faster than the other tools, for a first pass?

Dave D

Heres the view from the galley making breakfast in Glacier National Park
FFCC7863-E7FE-4423-BB6D-9327F1824852.jpeg

And here was one of the campsite visitors in addition to a bear who we only herd in the dark
AF4C386B-4708-485C-BB56-B9585A06D79D.jpeg
Unfortunately, the snow patches you see in this picture are some of the last remnants of the “glaciers” in Glacier National Park.

glasseye

Fantastic starry night pix! What camera?

How's the road in to Trona Pinnacles?
Last time I was there, I bailed. Too rough for 2WD Frito.

VanGoSki

Fantastic starry night pix! What camera?

How's the road in to Trona Pinnacles?
Last time I was there, I bailed. Too rough for 2WD Frito.
Thanks, man. Canon 5DMKIV

The road is fine -- washboard and ruts, but no traction issues. I reckon Frito would do fine as long as you air-down. That's crucial. Tires at 25 lbs and you're just floating over this stuff.

glasseye

At this uninspiring looking, cold and windy campsite, near Amboy, CA, I waited all afternoon. The weather hinted that I might get a good sunset.

20110408_0327.jpg

Green Water Stitch.jpg
The whole valley consists of this dry lakebed, now the site of a calcium chloride mine. Harvested by evaporation.
These twenty-foot-wide ditches crisscross the landscape.

20110407_0166 Sunset Amboy 02.jpg
I was right. Sunset was well worth the wait.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Where are the trees? At least you have some solar, but it looks like the moon.

VanGoSki

Awwwww. Diddums. :crazywife: :hugs:

Beautiful time of day and how great to be able to share it with a friend. :rad:
Thanks, Peter! :biggrin:

I've got a good friend who lives in Vegas now and we meet up a couple of times a year in various places in the southwest to explore backcountry, camp and shoot landscapes. Great guy and we learn a lot from each other.

Where are the trees? At least you have some solar, but it looks like the moon.
Good question! I think the area is just uninhabitable for trees. It's almost solid rock and the soil probably has a lot of whatever minerals they mine in town (not this area as it's protected.)

I have no solar, BTW. Those are two Maxxair fans on my roof. I have only alternator charging, both from my van's alternator as well as an auxiliary alternator. I intend to use the van year/round and solar production is too limited during the winter to be of use to me. Alternator charging is a good solution for me.

Oh, and since this is a campsite thread, here's another campsite photo.

glasseye

Thanks, Peter! :biggrin:

I've got a good friend who lives in Vegas now and we meet up a couple of times a year in various places in the southwest to explore backcountry, camp and shoot landscapes. Great guy and we learn a lot from each other.

Good question! I think the area is just uninhabitable for trees. It's almost solid rock and the soil probably has a lot of whatever minerals they mine in town (not this area as it's protected.)

I have no solar, BTW. Those are two Maxxair fans on my roof. I have only alternator charging, both from my van's alternator as well as an auxiliary alternator. I intend to use the van year/round and solar production is too limited during the winter to be of use to me. Alternator charging is a good solution for me.

Oh, and since this is a campsite thread, here's another campsite photo.

Amazing! Perfect balance between moon, cabin light and stars. You’ve got this down!

Top Bottom