Who has a better camp site than me?

VanGoSki

So the Sony is outpacing Nikon to the level that you would ditch all your old glass? I reckon it's the combo of fast glass and contemporary body. The A7 is all the rage...What's a Lumix guy to do? :unsure:
Certainly from an image quality standpoint, you have no reason to switch brands. Lumix's are the best value in the industry. The Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R @ $3700 for example has the 3rd best sensor in the industry right now, bested only by the Hasselblad X1D-50c @ $5700 and the Pentax 645Z at $5,000, according to DXOMark. Their sensor rating for the DC-S1R is 100. By comparison their rating for the Canon 5DMKIV camera I used for that previous image is 91. So if you've got an investment in Lumix lenses then at least for landscape photography that Lumix can't be beat at that price.

In reality though, any quality body and glass in capable hands will produce great images.

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
Thanks for that input VGS.
My current Lumix (FZ1000) has a fixed lens, so when I start upgrading to a new body and lens's I could go with a different platform. One of my Lumix cohorts just upgraded to the S5. So that may be where the path leads after getting a handle on the Panasonics. Since I use it primarily for videography and want to buy LiFePOs for the T1 this season, I can't get too crazy. Gear-lust is a heck of a drug :)P1260776.JPG
Lovell Canyon Road, Nevada, looking toward DV.

Last edited:

glasseye

The reasons for my impending switch are many. The Sony A7S iii delivers 10 bit 4:2:2 full frame video to an SD card. I’m tired of making BFPs and my walls are all full. The Sony will enable available light 4K video by the full moon. Modern lenses put my ageing Nikkor glass to shame. My D800s were just too effing heavy, as was my giant Gitzo tripod and RRS ball head. All gone. Too old, me.
Sometimes, I think I should just stick to my phone. :idunno:

glasseye

The reasons for my impending switch are many. The Sony A7S iii delivers 10 bit 4:2:2 full frame video to an SD card. I’m tired of making BFPs and my walls are all full. The Sony will enable available light 4K video by the full moon. Modern lenses put my ageing Nikkor glass to shame. My D800s were just too effing heavy, as was my giant Gitzo tripod and RRS ball head. All gone. Too old, me.
Sometimes, I think I should just stick to my phone. :idunno:
Oh oh. Changed my mind at the last minute. I couldn't stomach the $6K A7Siii body price and the need for all new glass from Sony. That would leave zero budget room for a decent tripod and head, too.

So I went the Nikon route. Z6ii and a 24-200 zoom. So far, big disappointments in video modes, and cautious approval in stills mode. I really wanted it to shoot good video, but Nikon todally dropped the ball for us ageing cinematographers seeking one last kick at the cine can.

Multiple reasons for this, too long to explain here.

Pissed off with Nikon, though. :crazywife:

ENMeyer

Canyons of the Ancients due west of Cortez. Good 2wd access as well.
I assume that's from the North entrance? There's a South entrance too, off Road G, and despite driving past it about 50 times, I didn't realize it until last year. 2WD access for a while, at least. Neat place, isn't it???

Top Bottom