Oil filter change question

EvHarris7

I am changing the oil on my 06 t1n, I am doing it at my work and forgot my strap wrench for the filter cap. I can't get the cap off by hand, I am going to keep trying, but my question is with how the sprinter is designed, if I leave the old filter in to drive 10 miles home, can I remove the filter there and replace it with minimal oil loss? I know on most cars this would not work, however the sprinter filter is much higher than most of the oil in the motor?

I already drained the old oil, otherwise I would have just gone back home. Does anyone know if this would work, I don't want to waste the 10 quarts of new oil either.

Thank you

Dpatt

You won't lose any oil when you change the filter, other than the small amount absorbed in it.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Agreed.... the oil loss will be minimal (a pint, perhaps).

Let the Sprinter sit for a minute or three (or five) before removing the filter to allow it to drain internally.
Then remove it sloooowly.... the bottom O-ring seems to cover a drain back into the crankcase, and that will capture some of the remainder in the filter itself.

--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
... and forgot my strap wrench for the filter cap.
My advice - DO NOT USE A STRAP WRENCH on the filter housing! It is a thin walled plastic moulding and you risk cracking it.

There is a purpose designed multi sided wrench designed to fit on the flats at the top of the housing. I can't help with a part number but it has come up on the forum many times before.

HTH,
Keith.

lindenengineering

My advice - DO NOT USE A STRAP WRENCH on the filter housing! It is a thin walled plastic moulding and you risk cracking it.

There is a purpose designed multi sided wrench designed to fit on the flats at the top of the housing. I can't help with a part number but it has come up on the forum many times before.

HTH,
Keith.
Second that!:thumbup:
Stroll into a parts store like Advanced--They usually have a rack of these removal caps in different sizes--get your for under $20.
Dennis

Arnie_Oli

I have one of those multi sided sockets for the oil filter. Highly recommend them. I then store it in the passenger foot well with the jack wrapped in a bit of cloth as I won't need it with anything other than our van. I also have a Makita cordless impact wrench for easier wheel changes but that's just me... :)

sailquik

Arnie Oil,
You have a Makita Cordless Impact wrench that will torque your wheel lug bolts/nuts (2500/316/319) to 133 ft/lbs or 177 ft. lbs.?
Or do you simply uses the Impact wrench as a nut runner and then use a calibrated torque wrench for the final
tightening?
Sprinter Wheel Tightening Torques:
Edited from the 2014 USA Spec Sprinter Operator’s Manual

316/319/2500 Series Sprinter w 5 or 6 Lug BOLTS w single rear wheels
Wheel/Lug BOLT tightening torque:
Steel wheels: 177 lb-ft (240 Nm)
Light Alloy wheels: 133 lb-ft (180 Nm)

416/516/519 3500 Series Sprinter w 6 Lug NUTS with DUAL rear wheels
Steel Wheel /Lug NUT tightening torque: 133 lb-ft (180 Nm)
If you have light alloy wheels on your 516/519/3500 Sprinter or Sprinter
based RV use the torque specifications that came with the aftermarket
light alloy wheels!
Roger

Last edited:

Arnie_Oli

I use the impact wrench to take the nuts off and then tighten them close to torque with a calibrated bar. It's a Makita BTW450Z which has a maximum torque of 440Nm.

Not bad for a Lithium 18v cordless. I got it cheap off eBay and I already have a raft of Makita batteries, wouldn't pay full price for it!

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Agreed.... the oil loss will be minimal (a pint, perhaps).

Let the Sprinter sit for a minute or three (or five) before removing the filter to allow it to drain internally.
Then remove it sloooowly.... the bottom O-ring seems to cover a drain back into the crankcase, and that will capture some of the remainder in the filter itself.

--dick
I agree.

My method is to loosen the filter cap/stem up until the lip of the cap will rest on the filter housing. I then leave the filter to drip down into the housing for some time while I do other things. That seems to help the oil drip off more completely.

My recollection is that the oil filter cap wrench size is 74.5 mm, 14 flats.

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My recollection is that the oil filter cap wrench size is 74.5 mm, 14 flats.
..and is also availble in plastic for less than $10 (Shuck's, now O'Reilly's):

OilFilterWrench3.jpg

Torque limit is 25 N-m or 18.5 ft-lbs

--dick
p.s. my plastic wrench got stuck on the cap... it wouldn't come off the filter cap after my first usage...
so i left it there. That made it extremely easy to find for future changes.... :thumbup:
(it finally came off on the 3rd change, 26000 miles later)

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
..and is also availble in plastic for less than $10 (Shuck's, now O'Reilly's):
Or you could get the genuine MB part in Cast Ally for probably not a lot more...

Sprinter Filter Wrench.JPG

Keith.

PS I keep a couple of spare Sump Plug Washers cable tied to the wrench in case I ever forget to buy one when I get a new filter.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Or you could get the genuine MB part in Cast Ally for probably not a lot more...

That gen-u-wine tool sho' nuff looks stout.

Are the bolts used to connect a harness for an overhead crane to lift it? :tongue:

Actually, I presume those bolts are for pushing out a stubborn stuck cap.

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
... lovely, but about 9.5 millimeters too big for a T1N (if i recall correctly... )

--dick
Oops! i'm sure they make one to fit...... Had to get one for the Sienna van last month.... Right on the rack. No waiting.

EvHarris7

Thanks for all the help, it was a bit of a guessing game to get the oil level right without replacing the filter, which ended up being 9 quarts after stopping twice in 10 miles to top it off once the oil light came on, I tried to get it close before leaving by warming it up and checking it, but still ended up a quart low.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Thanks for all the help, it was a bit of a guessing game to get the oil level right without replacing the filter, which ended up being 9 quarts after stopping twice in 10 miles to top it off once the oil light came on, I tried to get it close before leaving by warming it up and checking it, but still ended up a quart low.
While looking up the torque value for the filter cap, i found that the service manual included a "oil capacity without changing filter" specification: 9 quarts.
(with changing filter is 9.5 quarts ... which is suspiciously equal to 10 liters)

--dick (my apologies for not including that number earlier)
service manual download from: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
.. this particular item is in both the 2003 and 2006 editions.

Top Bottom