P2135 - Glow Plug Change out

sikwan

06 Tin Can
There are a lot of already good glow plug write-ups. This is just an addition.

Retrieved a P2135 (Glow Plug Failure Cylinder #3_) from the DAD and measured...

From cylinder 1-5 (top to bottom) glow plugs: 0.9, 2.2, OL, 1.0, 0.7 (ohms). All the Bosch units have tapered elements. Notice there is build-up of rust/dirt/grime on plugs 1 and 2. :hmmm: I'm guessing that my cylinder #2 was about to fail due to the readings.
P1010338.JPG
Bottom most plug is from DieselRX (pn: DRX00024, from Wellman, Made in USA.)

The insulator on the DieselRX (black) is thinner than the Bosch (greenish/white).
P1010339.JPG
The collar location look shorter (closer to hex nut), but the electrical connectors snap on fine. Added copper anti-seize on new glow plug threads.

At 10 years and 69,896 miles (70F ambient)...

1. I removed the glow plug connectors (using some cheap pliers specifically for gp connectors).
  2. Warmed up engine using diesel heater (engine did not run).
  3. Shot some Kroil into glow plug pockets. Left for two days.
  4. Warmed up engine (with gp connectors still disconnected) using diesel heater.
  5. Started engine and went for a drive.
  6. Kroil was still in pockets and did not burn off. Shot some more Kroil.
  7. It was not more than a minute after turning off the engine that I started loosening the glow plugs with a small 10mm socket wrench with extension. Everything came out easily.
  8. Installed 5 DieselRX glow plugs with a thin layer of copper anti-seize (Loctite stick).
  9. Torque down plugs to 8 ft-lbs.
  10. Reinstalled connectors.
  11. Clear codes using DAD. Ran engine.

Some notes:
  • Yeah I know about the copper anti-seize. I did some research and decided to do it for experience.
  • Service manual mentions 106in-lbs, which translates to 8.8ft-lbs. 10% off 8.8 is ~8 ft-lbs due to anti-seize. My calibrated (years of experience :tongue:) arms felt this is the right value when I removed them, so I'm comfortable with 8 ft-lbs.
  • My 5 new plugs (pn: DRX00024, from Wellman, Made in USA) were $49 shipped.

Last edited:

mything2

2007 Airstream Interstate
Sik-

I'm about to replace all 5 GPs plus module on my 2006 Dodge Sprinter/2007 Airstream Interstate due getting repeated CELs with pending DTCs indicated a glow plug involvement so I feel that-after 77K miles comprised mostly of mountain climbing trips to Alaska and Colorado. Even though I have a DAD and could pinpoint which GP-or more- is bad, I don't want to mess with these again-at least for awhile. Question- are the Borg Warner, Bosch or DieselRX good replacement GPs ?

Dan

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Question- are the Borg Warner, Bosch or DieselRX good replacement GPs ?
I only have experience with the Bosch (OEM) and the DieselRX. There are a lot of reviews and videos on the DieselRX, like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR8qyQ6bmVc

The Made in USA for the DieselRX sold me, but I only have 10k miles on them and about 70k on the Bosch OEMs. I would not hesitate buying either one because of the quality construction.

mything2

2007 Airstream Interstate
I only have experience with the Bosch (OEM) and the DieselRX. There are a lot of reviews and videos on the DieselRX, like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR8qyQ6bmVc

The Made in USA for the DieselRX sold me, but I only have 10k miles on them and about 70k on the Bosch OEMs. I would not hesitate buying either one because of the quality construction.
Sik-
Just a quick follow up and a thanks for your gp recommendation (DieselRX). Received them quickly and, to my surprise, no real issue getting the originals out but made sure I blew out the muck from the gp recesses first. My DAD said #2 & #3 were bad but replaced all 5. Threading the new ones in not a real problem- went slowly but I had some problems getting the caps back on- especially with #1 and #2 which I thought would be the easiest since they’re right up front...#s 3,4,5 snapped on easily...go figure. Bottom line-all gp back on line w/o errors. Made in USA also sold me! Dan

oruamjm

Does anyone have a better write-up for glow plug removal on a 2003? It looks like the plugs are nearly inaccessible around the intake on the back plugs.

Thanks, I have researched all 38 pages of write-ups and have failed to find anything that helps.

Top Bottom