Welcome to the Sprinter-Forum!

Slider13

Hi, I just purchased a new Airstream Interstate. I was lurking trying to find a Sprinter forum and found this site. Great!

Slider13

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hi, I just purchased a new Airstream Interstate. I was lurking trying to find a Sprinter forum and found this site. Great!

Slider13
Where did you find it?

The name was registered Sept 19th, forum was up the 21st, and it's almost 2 weeks already.

Welcome!

Seek

xtraworx

Master Craftsman
Just found you guys (gals?). gGlad your here! I acquired a 2004 Dodge 3500 Flat bed in August of this year from dealer in Ohio. It had only 1500 miles on it and they were ready to move it. deal so good, I could afford to fly up and drive it back!

My business is making custom furniture so truck configuration will be perfect for hauling raw materials form lumber yard/mill and delivering end product.

Look forward to your entries on this forum.

BgBenz

Good to see this site. I was in the Airstream forum myself and also found the link.

Seek, thank you for your work. This can turn out to be a really helpful place. I know the folks at Airstream are really knowledgable, but they have had many more years of experience on their rigs, and many more problems to deal with.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I now look for the Sprinters in the TV shows and movies. I wonder if MB is paying for placement? I watched The Unit the other day and they were supposed to be in Afganastan in a Sprinter. I am not sure, but I think it was badged a Dodge. Humm.

Anyway, thanks again for the site.

I'll be back.

Steve

Atlee

.... Don't know about the rest of you, but I now look for the Sprinters in the TV shows and movies. I wonder if MB is paying for placement? I watched The Unit the other day and they were supposed to be in Afganastan in a Sprinter. I am not sure, but I think it was badged a Dodge. Humm. ....

Steve
I do look for Sprinters now. Funny how that happens. Also, since my Sprinter is badged a Freightliner, I also find my self noticing the large Freightliner eighteen wheelers I meet when driving.

uwestern

Hi all there,

bought my passenger Sprinter, 2500, 158" HT 3 weeks ago. Will use it use workhorse (furniture shop) and as RV. I am planning to construct a bed that is easy to remove and will put in a desk with a computer behing the drivers seat.
Lots of customers have special requests that need internet research and that way I am faster don't have to drive there again.

Found this site on RV.net. Finally a site in english.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Welcome Uwestern!

Make sure you take pictures and share. :D I'm still trying to decide what to do while carrying dirtbikes and camping.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
HI FOLKS jUST DROPPPP'ED IN TO SAY G'DAY FROM DOWN UNDER WHERE THE LONG WHITE SPRINTERS ROAM :rolleyes:
OUR COMPANY HAS QUITE A FEW OF THE MERCEDES-BENZ SPRINTERS TWO ARE FOR EXCLUSIVE PERSONAL USE BOTH FULLY IMPORTED
2005 cdI 313 MWB SPORTLINE VERSION FROM AUSTRIA AND THE LATEST 2006 cdI 518 V6 ALL NEW SUPER SMICK SPRINTER LWB MID ROOF VERSION GERMAN IMPORT :bounce:
WHO WAS IT THAT SAID! OH! LORD WONT YOU BUY ME A MERCEDES-BENZ
OH! GREAT IDEA TO RUN A SPRINTER FORUM :thumbup:

PS IF YOU WANT INFO ON THE NEW SPRINTERS JUST ASK
THERE IS VERY LITTLE I CAN'T ANSWER:idunno: EXCEPT WHEN WILL YOU GET THE LATEST MODEL! HOWEVER I HAVE GOOD INSIDER INFO AS TO THE DELAY ON U.S BOUND SPRINTER'S WITH THE RAM BADGEING:D

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Welcome Altered Sprinter! :thumbup:

So how does the new vs old drive and what about the ergos?

Do you folks down under have the 5speed automatic that we in the US are stuck with?

Thanks,
Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hello Seek.
Not sure what you mean by ergo's ?
Any way the latest 06 Sprinter 4 - inline is a smoother engine has had a head upgrade NO3 handles better too as to the now standard saftey factors built into them where they were an acc/ before.
The new v6 is a rocket ship handles like a w class mercedes has all the comforts you want with the extra cubby holes to store nicknacks etc in fact to many , as you tend to forget where you may have put the illusive item I can only find one phone at a time or have to ring the other one to find the thing:lol:extra storage up on the screen visors is the best yet for placeing extra paper work, along with the centre dash console for books etc.,

The five speed tranny! heck that thing has caused you guys sooooo' much grief, it will take pages to explain it all as it relates to LWB dual wheel twin a/c units wrong box for the sprinter it should have been man ual or sprintshift the heavy duty clutchless auto, vibration issues fuel all combined etc.
Rather than block up the intro page it might pay to set a new forum on this combined with the above rather than fragement it as seperate issues, some of the problems have a fix that chrysler has not advised folk on , in part I don't think they understood it or maybe listened to the problems as to the division of management between DCX.
I'll let you guide me into the right forum as I'm still trying to work out how to load a word document
Thanks Richard
PS; the v6 is awesome:rad:FuelFilter.pdf

Attachments

Zach Woods

Howdy Altered -

I think seek was asking about the ergonomics / human factors in the new Sprinter design when he asked about ergo's.

Looks like your info on the 2001-2006 Sprinter transmission would fit nicely in the "2001 - 2006 Sprinter OEM Info, Issues, and Solutions" / "Transmission" forum (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43).

Info on the newest Sprinter design (2007 and up for the US) could go in the "2007+ Sprinter OEM Info, Issues, and Solutions" subforums (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34).

I know everyone in the US looks forward to hearing all we can about the new design as well as learning anything we can about the previous vehicle (the one we are still "stuck" with . . .).

Thanks for any info you can provide!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
some of the problems have a fix that chrysler has not advised folk on , in part I don't think they understood it or maybe listened to the problems as to the division of management between DCX.
Hi Richard:

Ahh, this sounds too good to be true, but I have faith. ;) Details PLEASE in the transmission section of this forum whenever you have the time. :thumbup:

Thanks,
Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Sikwan and Zack
thanks for info Zach I'll start it off by the weekend, as I'm doing double shifts with work at the Mo!
Sikwan Dar' I'm getting old, must be senior moments comfort is better as the seats have been upgraded along with front and rear suspension with the all new or newer STANDARD Safety Features' such as Adaptive Electronic Stability program [ESP] with ABS, ASR, BAS, EBD, LAC, RMI, USC etc which where for some of these, either were not available in the U.S version? or were an add-on as an option to purchase, if that's the case in the latter very few would have taken that option as it's human nature to divert to an upgraded radio or mooooooon roof :eek: we need a smiley' that does the MOON:thumbup:
Richard
PS I get my rockes off in a Sprinter:D

Iwantasprinter

I just found this site from a link from rv.net forum. Really excited to find it. As you may deduce from my username, I don't have a Sprinter yet, but that is my wish-I need to move some real estate first! I hope I am welcomed as a wishful future owner. I am a fair shade tree mechanic and have contributed on another site called Odyclub, because I own a '00 Honda Odyssey (the best vehicle I have ever owned), so hopefully I can contribute here also. Right now, I'd like to get my future Sprinter converted to a Class B motorhome, probably by Sportsmobile. I am wondering about the seating since we have one child, and unlike the Ford E Series and the GM van, I don't believe you can add a real auto-style chair behind the driver's captain's chair. Is it safe to seat an 8 year old child on the gaucho or even a dinette chair in the back? Anyway, looking forward to discovering the changes coming on the '07, which I have found on Wikepedia will include a new 6 cylinder diesel and a gasoline V6. So, I'll sit down now and make myself at home...:D

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Welcome to the board Iwantasprinter.

I frequented the Odyclub a lot when deciding between the Sprinter and the latest Odyssey. The Odyssey is a very nice van, but I wanted something more utilitarian. Being able to stand up in the van and getting decent fuel mileage didn't hurt in the decision making. :smilewink:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I just found this site from a link from rv.net forum. Really excited to find it. As you may deduce from my username, I don't have a Sprinter yet, but that is my wish-I need to move some real estate first! I hope I am welcomed as a wishful future owner. I am a fair shade tree mechanic and have contributed on another site called Odyclub, because I own a '00 Honda Odyssey (the best vehicle I have ever owned), so hopefully I can contribute here also. Right now, I'd like to get my future Sprinter converted to a Class B motorhome, probably by Sportsmobile. I am wondering about the seating since we have one child, and unlike the Ford E Series and the GM van, I don't believe you can add a real auto-style chair behind the driver's captain's chair. Is it safe to seat an 8 year old child on the gaucho or even a dinette chair in the back? Anyway, looking forward to discovering the changes coming on the '07, which I have found on Wikepedia will include a new 6 cylinder diesel and a gasoline V6. So, I'll sit down now and make myself at home...:D
Hello New Non-Sprinter owner:eek: welcome to the site,.
Regulations for seating vary from different parts of the world, however a captains chair could be placed in behind the rear drivers seat, but you would have to have DOT approval for it as it must be fixed forward whilst in motion it's tricky one when safety belts are involved for children under 11 years old Canada is different to the USA with mounting points much more stringent and up to date with Euro regulations, afterall if you love the kid, the last thing you would want is to see the child become a human missle in the event of a head on collision:shifty:
The new Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Dodge or Freightliner in the States is stalled for the orphan year of 2006 and part of 2007 due to emission standards and DCX still not working out what you should have in the states.
The new Sprinter has the old 5 inline motor upgraed for the fourth time mainly with the head EGR system to handle the ULSD fuels you will have the option of both Diesel in the old lineup and the new V6 Diesel don't be to sure you will be offered the Gas model I doubt it very much as it's not fuel efficent as the Diesel nor does it have the torque capabilty for a five ton camper.
I hope you are offered the largest of engines and not the old 414 CDI slightly underpowered if your at peak tonnage, there is a new 5 speed auto replaceing the old auto, dual whells wil go for the new extra wide rear rims etc, as these were designed for the vehicle back in 1995 proir to the 2002 ESP being incorporated into the van , of course you will have the latest of safety optons as well Adaptive Electronic Stability Program ESP with ABS, ASR, BAS, EBD, ROM, LAC, RMI, and USC up to thirty miles to the gallon no difeerence between auto and manual depending on how you drive of course.
Have a fantastic day Richard

gp_sprinter06bem_083.jpg

esp_animation.gif

gp_sprinter06bem_060.jpg

Iwantasprinter

:bow: Thanks guys for the warm welcome! Altered Sprinter, UR right about the gasoline engine having less torque. I think a diesel will last much longer and have great low end torque. However-and some lovers of diesel may find this close to heresy- I am looking at owning another diesel powered vehicle with some trepidation. You see, about 20+ years ago, I owned a german-made diesel-powered 1979 VW Rabbit. I think it was a 1500cc. It was a pretty good car when I could keep it running but as one of my southern (US) friends said, "it was slower than spit." But, it got 53 mgp on the interstate!! Anyway, that wasn't the main problem. Everytime I did maintenance, I seemed to spill some fuel, usually during the fuel filter change. I'm ok with the exhaust, but I never really liked the smell of raw diesel fuel that much and it never goes away, unlike more volatile gasoline. So, I was kind of thinking about the gasoline engine. But, if it won't do the job, I'll stick to the diesel.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Nothing wrong with getting a gas/petrol engine. It's quieter, warms up fast, and way cheaper to maintain.

My little 2.2l four cylinder gas engine in my S-10 gets 22city/28hwy and an amazing 0-60mph in 1 minute. :smilewink:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Sprinters with diesel or gas.

Iwantasprinter

I am wondering how a V6 will perform in this large van if converted to a camper or even for delivery use. The cylinders would have to be the size of 2lb coffee cans to do the job! After all, Sportsmobile is using the 6.0 liter Vortec V8 for the GM/Chevy and 5.4 liter Triton V8 for the Ford vans that they convert. However, I am sure some old timers (and I am almost there) remember when straight sixes powered some pretty heavy vehicles.

Top Bottom