Which scanner should I get for a specific on going issue

I have an issue with my sprinter that I use for my business, and I have not been able to use it for a month due to a failed emissions test and I am getting desperate. The dealer I use is making appointments for the end of September, and I cant wait that long. Here is whats going on. The van failed the emissions test because they can not get a reading about emissions from the ODB II port. The port does have power to it. The last shop I took it too had the same problem I had. The check engine light is on, but no codes are being listed, and the light cant be reset. Does this sound like an actual problem with the port, or just sub par scanners. I see a scanner section, and I am ok with the price of most of the ones I see, but want to make sure this is a scanner problem before I buy one. Has anyone else had this problem and used a specific scanner to solve it?

lindenengineering

You don't need to go to a dealer! Just pick the phone up and call some Independent shops that do emission repair work in your area.

Look the scanner won 't teach you miraculously what is wrong you need training to understand OBD2 and emission controls.

By the time you have bought a scanner and got an idea of what is wrong you will have grown beard like Khomeini.

For few hundred bucks I bet a good shop will locate the issue and fix it for far less than buying a good scanner, plus all the brain damage of trying to find a fault.

Think pragmatically
Dennis

Last edited:
You don't need to go to a dealer! Just pick the phone up and call some Independent shops that do emission repair work in your area.

Look the scanner won 't teach you miraculously what is wrong you need training to understand OBD2 and emission controls.

By the time you have bought a scanner and got an idea of what is wrong you will have grown beard like Khomeini.

For few hundred bucks I bet a good shop will located tissue and fix it for far less than buying a good scanner, plus all the brain damage of trying to find a fault.

Think pragmatically
Dennis
I have taken it to 3 different places That have done work on my other cars and all have suggested to take it to the dealer thus prompting this thread.

lindenengineering

Where are you located?
I can post a message on the Iatn network for you and find you someone with competency!
Competency (operative word) remember its a rare commodity these days!
Dennis

lindenengineering

Posted!
An inquiry. Who in the Cleveland area can handle a 2006 no
read OBD2 related failure on an emission test for a 2006
Dodge Sprinter? An old customer of mine can't find anyone to
tackle this issue other than the dealer! Any takers Dennis
Dennis Williams
Owner/Engineer
LinDen Engineering
Golden, Colorado, USA

surlyoldbill

If you do an extensive search of this forum, you'll find a thread or two about unresponsive OBD ports. I believe it had to do with a loose wire on one of them.

Have you disconnected all aftermarket electronics as was suggested in your previous thread? There were other suggestions there too.

Another possible guess is interference by any added electronics. There is a history of tagged on equipment stopping ODBII port communication even though the ECM aka ECU and other modules are able to communicate enough to operate.

vic
If you do an extensive search of this forum, you'll find a thread or two about unresponsive OBD ports. I believe it had to do with a loose wire on one of them.
The best, most expensive scan tool in the world will not help if interference or another system condition is the issue. Good old fashioned troubleshooting is what I would recommend.

There have been a number of OBDII no communications problems which have traced to improperly installed/wired aftermarket electronics.

Suspect the radio head unit. Fleet vehicles...any hard wired GPS, or business related devices. I recall a transmission related OBDII communication problem which was traced down to an added audio component that they tagged on to the TCM wiring (sub woofer?).

vic

Have you disconnected all aftermarket electronics as was suggested in your previous thread? There were other suggestions there too.

Yes. I have an after market radio and I added a power outlet. I have disconnected both. To the best of my ability I did not find any damaged or loose connectors in the plug. I also checked to see if there is power at the plug and there is. My van is an old Fed Ex van and they had a few things modified or disabled when I got it. Any chance they could've unplugged something?

Top Bottom