Satellite Signal

petersrc2

Me again.
Say ---------- has anyone attempted, or succeeded, in hooking satellite feed from a portable dish to the singular cable connector located within the "Service Bay".
I was told this connector worked for either CABLE, or SATELLITE feed.
However, after ensuring I have strong satellite signal outside, i.e. setting up a receiver, and small monitor adjacent the portable dish, I disconnect the Receiver/Monitor (outside) and affix the RG6 cable from the dish directly to the connector in the service bay..
Now inside the Coach, I
1) disconnect the Main TV cable from the connector/amplifier inside the cabinet above doorway,
2) connect Satellite Receiver to that same connector
3)re-connect the cable from the Main TV to the Satellite receiver (SHAW DIRECT)
4)Plug in Satellite Receiver (120A/C)
At this point, I should be able to see that the receiver recognizes satellite signal (Green light, instead of Red), but I see nothing, i.e. neither RED (insufficient signal), or GREEN (operational signal)
The local dealer is uncertain that the in-Coach RG6 Cable, which shares the AmplifierConnector with the roof mounted OFF AIR ANTENNA, will pass Satellite signal.
I've tried it both ways, i.e depressing/engaging the amplifier button, or disengaging it.
Puzzling!:thinking:
If I were able to get signal inside, I realize that thereafter, I need to go to the TV's Menu; select
"CABLE", and "AutoScan" for available channels.

Hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience, and can offer some suggested resolution(s)??????

Rudy

pfflyer

I haven't removed any panels but the over air antenna and the cable from the storage compartment have to join somewhere. Could that connection be your problem? Or maybe a simpler thing to try first is to bypass the amplifier altogether. Seems like it should pass through the signal but I am no expert.

petersrc2

I haven't removed any panels but the over air antenna and the cable from the storage compartment have to join somewhere. Could that connection be your problem? Or maybe a simpler thing to try first is to bypass the amplifier altogether. Seems like it should pass through the signal but I am no expert.
Thanks PF
Nor am I an expert --------
The Dealer's "Tech" thought that satellite signal does not "pass through" the Amplifier/Cable connector within the Coach; that "CABLE" and "SATELLITE" operate on different frequencies?????
I've been doing some more reading online, and ChitChat regarding Diplexers (reverse splitters?)
Will check that out with some AudioVideo "Experts" when we return home ------ must be some way to achieve this, without wiring in a 2nd cable from Service Bay to Inside connecting point.
There's always something more to learn, right?:shhh:
Rudy

pfflyer

That makes sense about operating on different frequencies. Here is what behind the amplifier looks like.
Antenna amplifier.JPG
So maybe it might be a simple fix to disconnect the cable feed to the amplifier (black cable in the picture) and either plug that into the sat box if there is enough slack, switch the black cable with one feed from the rooftop sat infeed or extend the black feed cable a little and pull through the access hole to plug into your receiver. My roof top sat connections above the amplifier has 2 outputs and two inputs. Are there 2 sat positions on the roof. I checked the service bay and there is only the black cable feeding the amplifier. We are pre-wired for cable in the bedroom. What is the second output for? The bedroom is fed with the brown cable blue tape from the amplifier. If it is for the second output is for the bedroom connection I wonder how we would we tap into that for roof top sat signal besides disconnecting the feed coming from the amplifier? If this wouldn't effect the Sat signal too much, another simple solution might be put a splitter on the black cable with one leg feeding the amplifier and the other replace one of the feeds from the rooftop. This way if you ever want cable or antenna you wont have to remove the access panel and just switch your coax cable from the tv from the sat box to the cable hookup or if you use HDMI cable from the sat box to the tv you would just need to change the source or input on the TV.

Good luck,

Last edited:

petersrc2

That makes sense about operating on different frequencies. Here is what behind the amplifier looks like.
View attachment 78788
So maybe it might be a simple fix to disconnect the cable feed to the amplifier (black cable in the picture) and either plug that into the sat box if there is enough slack, switch the black cable with one feed from the rooftop sat infeed or extend the black feed cable a little and pull through the access hole to plug into your receiver. My roof top sat connections above the amplifier has 2 outputs and two inputs. Are there 2 sat positions on the roof. I checked the service bay and there is only the black cable feeding the amplifier. We are pre-wired for cable in the bedroom. What is the second output for? The bedroom is fed with the brown cable blue tape from the amplifier. If it is for the second output is for the bedroom connection I wonder how we would we tap into that for roof top sat signal besides disconnecting the feed coming from the amplifier? If this wouldn't effect the Sat signal too much, another simple solution might be put a splitter on the black cable with one leg feeding the amplifier and the other replace one of the feeds from the rooftop. This way if you ever want cable or antenna you wont have to remove the access panel and just switch your coax cable from the tv from the sat box to the cable hookup or if you use HDMI cable from the sat box to the tv you would just need to change the source or input on the TV.

Good luck,
Thanks for "thinking through" this with me
Only --------- I'm not intending to use the prewired Roof-mounted Satellite cables.
Since we're "frequently" in parks where trees, etc., might interfere with signal visible from atop the Motorhome, I use a portable stand/Dish which I can locate more favorably up to 50' from the Motorhome.
That said, and looking at your picture/image, I'm thinking that if I disconnect the black incoming cable from the amplifier, and connecting that cable to the Diplexer's INPUT, I can use one of the Diplexers outputs (CABLE) to reconnect to the amplifier, and the other output (Satellite) to the Sat. Receiver.
I've searched locally, but haven't yet found anyone selling/stocking the Diplexer(s).
May have to put this experimentation on the back burner for now------ hoping to do a 3 week RV trip to our Prairie Provinces, starting Thursday.

petersrc2

Do you Amazon up there? https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Dish...=UTF8&qid=1471922268&sr=1-7&keywords=diplexer
If not if you have dish or Direct TV installers sometimes chatting an installer up you can talk him into giving you one? You also could call who you pay for service and ask for one.

Good luck
Yes to all 3 of your questions/suggestions.
I had already googled/viewed Holland's Diplexers, but wanted to become a bit more "comfortable" with EXACTLY how to use them, i.e. one end only, or both, etc.. I tried talking with some of the locals advertising themselves as GEEKS, but haven't yet found one who reflected knowledge/confidence on this subject. We're off on a trip effective tomorrow; will leave until we return.
Thanks for your input.

On another topic ------- I just received/installed an Ultragauge to the OBDI connector, and minimally programmed it, so I could observe e.g. engine load, and coolant temperature, neither of which are included on the Sprinter's Instrument Cluster. I just like to KNOW what's happening along the way.
Cheers

Top Bottom