Width of roof 2016 170 wheelbase crew van

Oregonmtb

I have been having a hard time gathering information on dimensions of my 2500 170 wheelbase 2016 Sprinter. The dealerships have been able to give me a file but it does not contain the width of the roof. If anyone has this info that would be great. We need it so that we can figure out how many solar panels we can fit with a vent and possibly an AC.
Thanks in advance!

hein

Van Guru
The distance across the van between the OEM roof rails is ~52". We can get 400 watts up there using 4 Renogy Eclipse panels, our towers and 8020 crossbars. An AC, vent and Fiamma awning will also fit. We can lay it all out in CAD for you so you don't have to crawl up on the ladder with your tape measure.

CAD Layout for the panels:
http://www.impact3d.com/400watt_Sprinter_layout.pdf

Oregonmtb

Thank you, Hein. This is helpful. So you have a photo showing the vent? We are going to do a vent and an AC if possible.

hein

Van Guru
The most popular vent is the Maxxair Deluxe. We have a 170 with roof top AC and a vent but the holes were already there so I wasn't able to position them in such a way that I could maximize the size of our solar array. We have 2 panels for a total of 200 watts. Using our vent adapters it is now possible to easily position the fan and AC in places where there are the corrugated humps. That opens up more room for solar panels.

Last edited:

Oregonmtb

Thanks again. Having both vent and AC does complicate how to arrange the solar and how many you can have.
You may have answered this in other threads but what model of AC did you use?
How did you mount it (did it need extra support)?
Also what battery bank did you have?
Did you run it off shore power only or generator? (Assuming you couldn't off solar alone)

hein

Van Guru
We have the Airxcel mach 8 9200 Btu (cub model):
http://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach/products/air-conditioners/ultra-low-profile/mach-8/mach-8-cub

The battery bank is four 6V Full River AGMs for a total of 500 Ah that we charge with shore power, engine alternator and the panels. 200 watts of solar is not really considered enough for that much battery capacity. There is no generator and we can run the AC with the 2800 watt inverter but it draws the batteries down quickly. (draws 120A on the DC side) Any long term use of the air conditioner requires a shore power connection.

More details in our build thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27822
AC installation and support added to roof begins on the first page.

Last edited:

ems

I'm just trying to find the dimensions of the 170" inside to plan our rebuild. It's difficult to find accurate information, even from MB info. Any suggestions?

Thomastadon

I found that I get accurate measurements, by using measuring tape. Downloaded all ones good could find and they were all off by a bit. Plus everyone's walls are different thickness depending on insulation and stuff. I'm just partly into my build at this point.

HarryN

I purchased a laser pointer based measuring tool. It helps immensely, especially when you need to take measurements by yourself.

Many custom cabinet makers still just use a stick with pencil / pen marks on them to make quite precisely fitting cabinets in places that are not square or straight.

In a surprising number of situations the exact dimension "number" doesn't matter, what matters is that it fits. I know this concept is incredibly old school and against my engineering training, but... it works.

Consider to buy some long, kiln dried wood and some Al square tube / angle to use as measurement sticks. Many aluminum extrusions are surprisingly straight.

HarryN

I'm just trying to find the dimensions of the 170" inside to plan our rebuild. It's difficult to find accurate information, even from MB info. Any suggestions?
If you have the van, start taking measurements and tape them out on the floor.

Use some 2x4s to make a preliminary frame mock up of the inside of the van and start setting items in place in this "space frame" to get a feel for what will work.

If you don't yet have the van - spend some time at the dealer taking measurements.

As a practical matter, these things tend to evolve over time.

Lostgriz

The distance across the van between the OEM roof rails is ~52". We can get 400 watts up there using 4 Renogy Eclipse panels, our towers and 8020 crossbars. An AC, vent and Fiamma awning will also fit. We can lay it all out in CAD for you so you don't have to crawl up on the ladder with your tape measure.

How much weight could these brackets with crossbars support. Wondering if I could use this as a platform that I could stand on.

berry van

I have been having a hard time gathering information on dimensions of my 2500 170 wheelbase 2016 Sprinter. The dealerships have been able to give me a file but it does not contain the width of the roof. If anyone has this info that would be great. We need it so that we can figure out how many solar panels we can fit with a vent and possibly an AC.
Thanks in advance!
Hi, did you by any chance come up with a configuration that works? I have a factory built ac in the rear and want to install a Fantastic fan and 4 solar panels if possible. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan

HI Hein,
Is the 52" width the same for a VS30 Sprinter 170 High Roof Extended?

Thanks!

hein

Van Guru
Yes. It's actually right at 51.875" center to center of roof rails.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

StokeTheFire

I have the same sprinter and looking to add the Renogy Solar Panels. Do you hae the CAD Layout document available still? The link above is broken :(

Dann

Thanks in advance!
On mine, I installed 4 x 100W Panels and 2 Maxxfans. I eventually added 1 extra support brackets on each side in the middle ( not shown on the picture) to increase my safety margin even though they were not really needed. Sometimes we get a lot of snow and that can add weight, especially if it's wet. The length of the "8020 end bar" that attaches to the support brackets is 46"

Solaire 2.jpg

marklg

Anyone putting solar panels up on the roof should read this thread if you haven't already:

It's airflow and vibration you have to worry about, much harder to figure than static loading.

Regards,

Mark

Dann

Anyone putting solar panels up on the roof should read this thread if you haven't already:

It's airflow and vibration you have to worry about, much harder to figure than static loading.

Regards,

Mark
I did. That's one of the reasons I put my panels as low and as far back as possible. I wanted to to minimize the vertical draft from the windshield as much as possible. I see many conversions were the panels are setup pretty high above the roof of the van and extend over the sides like a big sail. My panels are also bolted to the side rails. I did check them again after reading the post and they're perfectly attached. :)

WeROuttaHere

Regards,

Mark
I am also afraid of this happening with my mounting design. I want at least 800w; probably 4x200w mounted side to side. I am considering diyvan brackets connecting the panels to the rails. I am also considering a front air dam to prevent high pressure under the front panel. Maybe nylon nuts and rubber grommets on the mounting bolts. Maybe an 8020 bar up front. Maybe connecting the center of each panel to the adjoining panel.

I am open to all thoughts. I don't want to over engineer it and add un-necessary weight and expense, but I also don't want to lose a panel.

marklg

I am also afraid of this happening with my mounting design. I want at least 800w; probably 4x200w mounted side to side. I am considering diyvan brackets connecting the panels to the rails. I am also considering a front air dam to prevent high pressure under the front panel. Maybe nylon nuts and rubber grommets on the mounting bolts. Maybe an 8020 bar up front. Maybe connecting the center of each panel to the adjoining panel.

I am open to all thoughts. I don't want to over engineer it and add un-necessary weight and expense, but I also don't want to lose a panel.
Just a piece of 6061 aluminum angle will be probably be lighter and stronger than 8020. I used that for bracing and there is no sign of movement.

The panel mounts have tens of thousands of miles at 80 mph with no issues.

Regards,

Mark

Top Bottom