T1N Mufflers

alexk243

KulAdventure
My 04 muffler is starting to rust through on one side. I have a muffler shop locally I like, but I usually provide my own parts. Any suggestions on where to get mufflers for this?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Horse

Their labor welding (repair) the original part might be cheaper than replacement prices, just a thought.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is reasonable in Chicago, but I recently had muffler work done by a shop in Kansas City. New muffler, tailpipe, and flex pipe before the catalytic converter including labor for $300. It seemed pretty good to me. They bent stock pipe and used an aftermarket muffler.

derekhski

I bought an exhaust pipe through Mopar or Berry Dodge back a few years ago, and had the local shop install, they charged me $30.00, just ran the part number through google to find.

fdhamlin

I removed my muffler 3 years ago (2006 Hi-Roof 140) and replaced it with a straight piece of 2 1/2" all the way to the rear. It hangs on homemade rubber hangers and runs under the rear axle. No bends no back pressure.

My wife can't tell the difference in sound and I'm sure you can't either. I seems that the Turbo kills the noise. I can hear it talk to me in 2nd gear on a steep downhill but idleing in your driveway you won't know.

Fred

I removed my muffler 3 years ago (2006 Hi-Roof 140) and replaced it with a straight piece of 2 1/2" all the way to the rear. It hangs on homemade rubber hangers and runs under the rear axle. No bends no back pressure.

My wife can't tell the difference in sound and I'm sure you can't either. I seems that the Turbo kills the noise. I can hear it talk to me in 2nd gear on a steep downhill but idleing in your driveway you won't know.

Fred
:thumbup:

I was surprised how little noise my 2004 made when the pipe literally fell apart between the turbo outlet and the catalytic converter. I'm not saying that it wasn't somewhat noisy, but it wasn't loud enough that I'd get a ticket for noise.

Even exhaust manifold leaks are surprisingly quiet. With a gas engine an exhaust manifold leak results in a noticeable ticking noise. A Sprinter 5 cylinder exhaust manifold leak gives maybe a whistle as the steel gasket vibrates like a reed. No ticking at all. And that is before the turbo.

:cheers: vic

Are you guys putting on OEM ones or just universal mufflers?

I've been patching my 2004 exhaust system with universal parts. So far the OEM muffler has been holding well enough.

Based upon Fdhamlin's straight pipe comments and my experience with broken pipes, I see no reason that a properly sized universal muffler wouldn't be an option.

I shortened my system to a side exhaust outlet. I've had no problems to date.

:2cents: vic

wrenjamin

had my muffler fall off in an intersection, ran over it with my passenger rear wheel. scared the **** out of me. cracked the muffler so I had to get a new one. In and out of a local muffler shop, aftermarket muffler, couldn't tell a difference, less than two hours and $212.

had my muffler fall off in an intersection, ran over it with my passenger rear wheel. scared the **** out of me. cracked the muffler so I had to get a new one. ...
I added my Monel baling wire support slings to prevent just such problems. The slings have saved me a couple times now. I don't notice any additional noise from the supports even without rubber mounts, but my cargo truck is OEM as to insulation/sound deadening on the floor so it's not quiet to begin with.

vic.

eatacactus

Just to echo what the other guys have said regarding muffler deletions;

I made a fully stainless turbo-back exhaust for my 118" and couldn't be happier with it. The muffler removal hardly did anything to change the sound under anything other than hard acceleration, which subjectively sounds a whole lot better now.

alexk243

KulAdventure
Eatacactus, did you notice any difference in performance or MPG? I would think without a muffler both would go up.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Eatacactus, did you notice any difference in performance or MPG? I would think without a muffler both would go up.

False assumptions. Most diesel vehicles will see minimal performance increases by cutting the muffle and CAT out. In fact many will see reduced performance due to turbo lag (seems counter intuitive, but its true). The turbo is an exhaust restriction, but its necessary to harness the exhaust flow to generate boost. The Turbo needs some back pressure to allow for timely spool up. Go figure.

The muffler on these vans is quite large, and likely provides minimal restriction.

eatacactus

I didn't put enough miles on the van before building the exhaust to notice a difference. I did it mainly for the reliability (one less thing to rot) and the minor change in exhaust tone.

False assumptions. Most diesel vehicles will see minimal performance increases by cutting the muffle and CAT out. In fact many will see reduced performance due to turbo lag (seems counter intuitive, but its true). The turbo is an exhaust restriction, but its necessary to harness the exhaust flow to generate boost. The Turbo needs some back pressure to allow for timely spool up. Go figure.

The muffler on these vans is quite large, and likely provides minimal restriction.
I think everyone who builds proper drag cars would completely disagree with your statements.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I didn't put enough miles on the van before building the exhaust to notice a difference. I did it mainly for the reliability (one less thing to rot) and the minor change in exhaust tone.

I think everyone who builds proper drag cars would completely disagree with your statements.
Drag cars are a different matter, performance are engines in general. The sprinter is not getting a re-tune, so fuel and boost levels are not changing. It still has the same small-ish turbo which is designed to spool quickly and make good boost early.

If the exhaust change was part of a designed engine upgrade including bolt on parts and ECM programming, it could make a difference in performance. By itself it is highly unlikely to have a noticeable effect on performance.

Anyways, nothing wrong really with removing the muffler, as these vehicles are still fairly quiet with the turbo and cat installed. I live in a state without emissions inspections, so the number of diesels with no cat/muffler and straight back 6" pipe is high. :thinking:

I agree. It doesn't need to provide much restriction because it doesn't need to reduce much noise. That is somewhat verified by the fact that it can be removed with no appreciable increase in noise.

I don't have enough knowledge to verify your previous comment, but it makes sense.

First. I read only that the muffler was being removed. No other components.

In my opinion eliminating just the muffler will have minimal effect on back pressure, and minimal effect on fuel economy. Possibly to the point of not being measurable as a practical matter. I have no data.

Added:

vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom